Mountain Project Logo

Winter rock climbing destination in Southern Idaho and Northern Utah near interstates

Original Post
Alex Z · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 32

My girlfriend and I are planning a road trip to Washington for Thanksgiving week and we would like to find a places to climb along the way. Were planning on taking 70 through Colorado and heading North through Price to Salt Lake City then taking 84 though Utah before heading over to Smith Rock. Where should we stop to climb along the way to climb? We're limited only by a single rack plus nuts, and we want to get as much climbing in in as little time as possible.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Southern Idaho could be great, could be freezing. City of Rocks is a maybe, if you don't mind the detour. Dierkes Lake is very close to the freeway, has roped climbing and really easy access bouldering on interesting rock.

Black cliffs in Boise is only a destination if you are in Boise for some reason, but it's a fifteen minute drive from I84, and the climbing is pretty compact. Single pitch sport and trad, often on the same anchors. Again, pretty weather dependent.

Best, Helen

Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 170
Clear Creek Canyon and Golden Cliffs have south facing crags for climbing in low temps, and are 5 minutes north of I-70 in Golden, CO. There are 1000 routes to choose from. 2 hours south of I-70 you have Shelf Road. It's just getting into the climbing season there right now.
abe r · · Boise, ID · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 180

go to the desert

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 635

Massacre

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35
Old lady H wrote: Southern Idaho could be great, could be freezing. 

And pretty much everywhere else along your route.  This is going to be super weather dependent so I suggest keeping a sharp eye on the weather and having a lot of different options ready to go.  Sunny weather and minimal wind and just find something south facing, cloudy or windy and its going to be a numbing suffer fest at best.

Rincon and South Buttress of Redgarden can be great that time of year if it's sunny and you're looking for trad of I-70.  +1 for Clear Creek like High Wire or around there.  I mention these in Colorado (no Idaho or North Utah) as these are pretty accessible even after a good snowfall.  I'm not familiar but Idaho or N. Utah but just make sure you can get in after a snow storm.
bognish · · Sandy, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 0

As others have posted, assuming its inbetween storms there should be plenty of warm climbing on south facing routes in Little & Big Cottonwood Canyons just south of SLC.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Dierkes and Black Cliffs are both ones that can be warm enough in the winter. Massacre, also, but it's a bit of a drive in. The climbing is on the north side of the river from the park, drive there by way of American Falls, which is also back to the east from where you are headed.

Here, forty plus, no wind, sunny, and the black cliffs are good to go.

Good luck with your trip! I'll be out all winter, if it's cooperative!

Best, Helen

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

Southern UT is usually pretty good around Tday.....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Winter rock climbing destination in Southern Id…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started