Mountain Project Logo

adjustable foot tape for follower

Original Post
Thomas Chapman · · Telluride, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 93

newb here. I've got some petzl adjustable footape slings from vertical caving. thoughts on using these as a follower when aid climbing? or does the follower really need a ladder/etrier too? 

Alec Sluser · · Concord CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 26

You don’t “need” a ladder but it’s gonna be more comfortable. People use adjustable foot slings for speed climbing due to the size/weight in comparison to a big and sometimes bulky ladder.

For aid leading, your gonna have an easier time getting the maximum reach from a ladder due to the various steps as oppose to a single step adjustable ladder. 

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

The foot slings would work most of the time, but there are lower-outs and other situations where having ladders are preferable. One also assumes that at times the follower will be leading, so ladders would be needed. Lastly, STUFF happens when aid climbing and having a spare ladder to borrow from the follower may come in handy. 

Skot Richards · · Lakewood · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 100
Thomas Chapman wrote: newb here. I've got some petzl adjustable footape slings from vertical caving. thoughts on using these as a follower when aid climbing? or does the follower really need a ladder/etrier too? 

I personally only use stirrup style aiders when cleaning or following a pitch.  I use regular aiders when leading but when following I exclusively use Metolius easy aider stirrups.  I love being able to get the perfect aider length no matter the angle of the terrain.  Plus they cinch around my feet eliminating my feet from coming out of them.  I love them! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "adjustable foot tape for follower"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started