Mountain Project Logo

Freestyle BMX

Original Post
Kevin Horghenson · · Thunder Bay, ON · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Anyone here ever do any freestyle BMX? It kinda reminds me of climbing in certain ways. Just people going after the same stoke but through a different device and medium. Definitely creative with how they incorporate different tricks into various setups. Here's a pretty intense street BMX video that came out recently: 

Insert name · · Harts Location · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 46

I rode 5-7 days a week for a decade or more. A dozen concussions later and a few hours of being unconscious.’i have ridden three times in 2 years.

The difference between riding and climbing.

Riding is high impact (unless you are into the new tech trick style). So you can only push it so hard before you start getting hurt and the injury normally are enough that it really sucks to deal
with unless you have a job that you can work with crutches/cast/etc.

Climbing is fairly low Impact and either you have a minor injury or a catastrophic one.  

BMX is similar in thatnstreet, trail, flatland (who still does that?) sorta separate groups the same way that climbing is with Trad, Sport, Bouldering.

If you haven’t watch these videos they are old and amazing, plus gives you an idea how much street riding has progressed.

Metal Bikes- Dead Bang
FBM- Albert St.
Little devil- Criminal MischiefAnimal- Can i eat

Jay Eggleston · · Denver · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 21,381

I was a pro vert rider for 16 years.   Still ride but, not vert often.

Larry S · · Easton, PA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 872

I am... well... was into flatland for a long time. And yes, it's still alive.  Still have my 2001 hoffman EP.  But now I'm doing alot of mountain biking instead.

Occasionally I dig the bike out of the garage and dabble in some flatland riding.

Larry S wrote: I am... well... was into flatland for a long time. And yes, it's still alive.  Still have my 2001 hoffman EP.  But now I'm doing alot of mountain biking instead.

Occasionally I dig the bike out of the garage and dabble in some flatland riding.

Dude that bike is so rad! it was Day smiths old pro model right?

You ever ride with butcher or any of the other ECD guys? 
PosiDave wrote:

Dude that bike is so rad! it was Day smiths old pro model right?

You ever ride with butcher or any of the other ECD guys? 

Yeah, it was his signature model.  Thing is a tank.  Weighs about 35 lbs.  No, never rode with anyone worth noting.  Mostly just rode solo around my college campus,

Larry S wrote:

Yeah, it was his signature model.  Thing is a tank.  Weighs about 35 lbs.  No, never rode with anyone worth noting.  Mostly just rode solo around my college campus,

Just asking because it says you live in Easton. Grew up sorta near there and rode a bunch with those guys.

PosiDave wrote:

Just asking because it says you live in Easton. Grew up sorta near there and rode a bunch with those guys.

Ah, no, moved to the lehigh valley about 10 years ago.  Been in allentown, whitehall, palmer, and nazareth now.  But right about when i moved out there i get into climbing and motorcycles was doing that every free moment, only riding flat occasionally.  

Stephen Cummings · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 5

I remember Jay Eggleston's name - Posi Dave - did we ever cross paths? I grew up in Pittsburgh rode PUSH.-  Steevo Cummings. 

Stephen Cummings wrote: I remember Jay Eggleston's name - Posi Dave - did we ever cross paths? I grew up in Pittsburgh rode PUSH.-  Steevo Cummings. 
We probably did at one time or another, but the years and faces blur together from to much fun haha. 
Im Sorry · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 20

Not since 9th grade 

Ben F wrote: 1985 Haro FST with ACS Z-rims. I used to have a quarter pipe in the mid-late 80s.

You still have that thing? Guys on BMXMuseum would love it.

I sold mine to fund my first Tradrack
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Freestyle BMX"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started