Mountain Project Logo

Mississippi Palisades Climbing guidebook

Original Post
Mason Mueller · · Milwaukee, WI · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,087

Does anyone know of a current or any version of a Mississippi Palisades Climbing guidebook. I can only find a couple and they are all old and expensive. Does everyone just use MP? Im willing to buy one off anyone. Also can anyone give me beta on the place other than whats on MP trying to go down next week along with Perre Marquette state park. Please PM me.

Thanks, 

Mason

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215

Just use MP and you’re good to go. Been there only twice and if there are more than 3 parties in the Cove, it’s crowded. Devils Lake is a way better destination 

Brad Christie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 25

There's an old book from 1991.  Use your local library and get it loaned.  I think Bettendorf Iowa library has a copy that I've borrowed.  

There's quite a bit more than just the sentinel cove area.  Worth exploring around, but make sure it's in a climbing permitted area.  Some good trad lines, although short, and plenty of relaxing toprope. 

No question the lake is better climbing.  But something about the palisades I love and keeps me going back.  Take it for what it is and enjoy it.  

Dave Hug · · Carbondale, IL · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 12,145

I’ve been begging for years to have someone lay out the climbing like I did for PereMarquette. Someone should take this on. 

Brad Christie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 25

Dave, as in a new guidebook for palisades?

Thanks everyone trying to change it up from the lake because that's my usual spot. The original plan was horseshoe but might not work out.

Dan Greenwald · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 165

I have a copy.  PM sent.

Brad Christie wrote:

Dave, as in a new guidebook for palisades?

AS in someone updating the Mountain project page for palisades to be as useful as the Pere Marquette page is. There is no guidebook for Pere Marquette, so I worked hard and made the Mountain project page a very good resource for climbing at the site. Every route has a photo with the line you climb and the bolts marked. So I would like to see the same done for plisades. 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Dave Hug wrote:

AS in someone updating the Mountain project page for palisades to be as useful as the Pere Marquette page is. There is no guidebook for Pere Marquette, so I worked hard and made the Mountain project page a very good resource for climbing at the site. Every route has a photo with the line you climb and the bolts marked. So I would like to see the same done for plisades. 

And I can't thank you enough for your effort, Dave. We climbed at Pere Marquette this summer, and the beta on MP was outstanding. One of the reasons I've not yet climbed at the Palisades is the lack of decent routefinding beta.

Mike Blisz · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 384

First time out there, some old climber from Iowa was puzzled why I haven't seen the guidebook, allowed me to peruse his ratty copy but unfortunately I don't have photographic memory. Can't find a copy online myself.

Whenever I talk to people, they talk about the Cove but I don't think I've found it the few times I went - is Twin Sisters a different area where the Sentinel Tower is or is that different? 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Mike those are different areas.  The Sentinel Tower overlooks the Cove.  A part of getting there is parking in the right spot (bottom of the hill) and walking past the barn rather than parking at the top (logical if you haven’t been).  If it takes you more than 5 min, you parked in the wrong place.  Also, I would treat the “trad routes” as solos, because that’s what they really are.  I watched a well retracted cam pull under body weight there...

Ted Pinson wrote:

Mike those are different areas.  The Sentinel Tower overlooks the Cove.  A part of getting there is parking in the right spot (bottom of the hill) and walking past the barn rather than parking at the top (logical if you haven’t been).  If it takes you more than 5 min, you parked in the wrong place.  Also, I would treat the “trad routes” as solos, because that’s what they really are.  I watched a well retracted cam pull under body weight there...

I park right in that parking lot on the bottom of the hill. Barn?? There is an outhouse, if you go "left" facing the hills you end up by the sentinel. If you go right and into the woods, you can hike your way to the top of what I think is called "Indian Head" where I believe climbing is not allowed but the views are nice. Still a bit confused here - and the area is seemingly small so I never go and figure out the details here, LOL.

Does anyone have a PDF of the guide?

Can anyone get out to the park and take photos of all the routes just like Pere Marquette and Giant City have? I really want to improve the page for this area. 

Matt Thomsen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 263

I have this one from 1991. I would be willing to trade it for a Wild Iowa Guide book (the one with the three metal rings holding it together)... I used to have the Iowa guide, but it has been lost for years. I am also willing to buy it, if you don’t want to trade. Thanks!

Would you consider scanning this book to PDF for everyone?

I'll take pictures of the guidebook I got of the palisades and scan it into MP.

Mason Mueller wrote: I'll take pictures of the guidebook I got of the palisades and scan it into MP.

Awesome!

Nicholas Carroll · · Chicago, IL · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 138
Dave Hug wrote: Can anyone get out to the park and take photos of all the routes just like Pere Marquette and Giant City have? I really want to improve the page for this area. 

Dave, I'm headed out to the Miss Palisades twice this October with a decent camera. I'm not an expert on the area but I have been twice before and could definitely contribute to the images for topo. Loved your Pere Marquette beta and pics when I went down there earlier this year.

Let me know if there are any images in particular you're going for!

Nick
Nicholas Carroll wrote:

Dave, I'm headed out to the Miss Palisades twice this October with a decent camera. I'm not an expert on the area but I have been twice before and could definitely contribute to the images for topo. Loved your Pere Marquette beta and pics when I went down there earlier this year.

Let me know if there are any images in particular you're going for!

Nick

Hey Nick! 

Thanks a ton. Basically look at what I built for Pere Marquette. We need photos of every wall, followed by photos of every climb. Then with photos of every climb, we need topo lines drawn on everything. 

It’s a lot of work, trust me I know, but whatever youcan get I will be super appreciative of. Just look at Pere Marquette for a reference for how it needs to be built. 
Thanks again man!

Great changes were made overnight to the Miss Palisades page. If anyone has helpful feedback, feel free to share. The end goal is to have a layout similar to Pere Marquette’s pag

Nicholas Carroll · · Chicago, IL · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 138

Ok, heading to the Palisades this weekend! But sadly no climbing partner to trade belays. :(

Anyone want to link up this Friday PM, Saturday, or Sunday AM?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Mississippi Palisades Climbing guidebook"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started