Mountain Project Logo

Palisade Traverse 10/19

Original Post
Joe Knoedler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Looking for solid beta and weather advice. Gonna try and score a walk up backcountry permit, but if not gonna try for a car to car Traverse. Any help is greatly appreciated. Very skilled on snow/ice and looking forward to the adventure 

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 16,608

Just a "reaction", hope it stimulates corrections . . .
If you're even considering that you might do it car-to-car in a day, you must be elite alpine Animal -- so why are you asking here. Why not check with some of your elite buddies?

Your lack of concern about altitude acclimatization suggests that you already live at altitude -- so why not ask one of your neighbors who has done it?

Just stirring the pot.

Ken

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270

Y.G.D.

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

Just to be clear, you’re talking about the entire Palisade traverse (from Southfork to Bishop Pass), not just the Thunderbolt-Sill traverse, correcct?

No. Just thunderbolt to sill. 

Dude, if you just wanna hate and talk down then  save your energy. Listen, I’m a fairly kind person, but I don’t like or appreciate you bullying me or anyone on here. So do me a favor and leave it be. 

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

Good luck and have fun. Just be prepared for real cold once the sun goes down.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

HOHMANN t3h bullies are out and about

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

I personally wouldn't do it past early Sep, but I don't like climbing in frigid, dark conditions. Same goes for Evolution per your other post.  Route finding on Tbolt to Sill is trickier than Evolution.  It's a fairly big day car-to-car, but not excessively chossy by alpine standards.  Good luck!

Unk Gh · · The world · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Bullies everywhere!!! 

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

You should have no problem getting a permit and you will have the place to yourself.   There is a reason you will be the only person on the route.

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

I have not done T-bolt to Sill, but I was on the North Ridge of Lone Pine Peak on Saturday. Even though the temps in the Owens valley were in the high 70s, it was sub-freezing almost all day on the ridge. There was snow in the cracks and on the slabs from the storm a few weeks ago, this made progress quite slow and slick. I ended up roping up on terrain which I would easily solo if it had been dry. Still a fun outing, but a bit heads up. I would image theT- Bolt to Sill traverse would be like the route I did but on steroids.

The days are short and the temps are cold.  You know your own abilities, judge accordingly. Be safe and have fun!

Jeff B · · San Diego · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Just a heads up, I was up in the area this past weekend and the snow/ice from the storm about a week ago has not melted.  Shouldn't be much of an issue but I was just doing the hike to the glacier from North Fork and turned around before I got to the glacier because the boulder/scree field was really icy.  

Here is a picture from the weekend.  You can see Mt. Sill and North Palisade.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Good luck! Was at Coyote Flats 3 weeks ago and at 10,500 it was really cold...

Dress warm. 

wsperry · · Lafayette, CA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 115

I agree with Jeff B. I attempted conness 2 days ago but there was a significant amount of snow remains from 1.5 weeks ago. This is at ~11k-12k ft. Palisades being higher I would expect more of  snow/ice ridge climb rather than a rock climb.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Palisade Traverse 10/19"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started