Mountain Project Logo

Sorting ticks

Original Post
Mark Hammond · · Eldorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 466

I would love to be able to sort ticks. By specified date range, by area (both large and smaller), maybe even by rating.
My tick list is long and I have to page through manually, 1 page at a time, to see what I did in May of 2010 for instance.
Thanks for all the upgrades!

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,676

Not the best solution here, but I wanted to point out that you can export your ticks as a CSV file and load them up on to a spreadsheet where you can sort to your heart's content.

Thanks John, but of course I don't want to have to do this each time I add more ticks. Plus, I did do that and many of the dates show as simply #######. Anybody know why?

The field shows up as ####### when the column width is too narrow. Make it wider. At least that's how it works in Excel.

Thanks John. Umm, yeah. Doh, lousy brain! Also, the routes rated 5.10 show up as 5.1. (Unless they have an a,b,c or d.)
This screws up the sorting a bit. Any quick and easy fix? 

I'd still like to be able to sort ticks. Anyone else?

The database method is cumbersome at best. Sorting by location puts The Angel Food Wall (Red Rock, NV), The Anti-Phil Wall (Rifle, CO) and Arch Rock (Yosemite) in a row and the other Red Rock, Rifle and Yosemite crags are elsewhere. For instance.

I've sorted by climb rating on Excel using a custom list before. It's all pretty cumbersome, though. The 5.10 getting changed to 5.1 is a pretty maddening problem, for sure.

Also, like you said, the way the location is listed is backwards, with the main area name last, making sorting difficult by area.

On the MP website, you can sort To-Do lists by area, so the ability to sort Ticks seems like a reasonable request...

Clarke Conant · · Davis, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

I put them in rubbing alchohol overnight, then pick them out with tweezers and put them in glass jars. It helps to have a magnifying glass.

Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 170
The 5.10 getting changed to 5.1 is a pretty maddening problem,
While it's probably a bit of a derail, if you want to import the ticks into Excel without the format getting screwed up, look at this link. There's a path to importing .csv files and maintaining formatting.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Sorting ticks"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started