Mountain Project Logo

Arcteryx procline climbing performance? Warmth?

Jakob Melchior · · Basel, CH · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

I feel the same about my backland boots (with stock liners). Even steep toprope ice feels good in them.
I climb in them without the tongues but I also haven't tried the soft tongues. But I also added a booster-strap to mine which increases the downhill ski performance massively. It sits at the very top edge of the tongue and the stretch of the booster makes the flex of the carbon cuff much more progressive. I guess that also adds some support while climbing without the tongue. I would highly recommend it.

Tom Steinbrecher · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Jakob Melchior wrote: I feel the same about my backland boots (with stock liners). Even steep toprope ice feels good in them.
I climb in them without the tongues but I also haven't tried the soft tongues. But I also added a booster-strap to mine which increases the downhill ski performance massively. It sits at the very top edge of the tongue and the stretch of the booster makes the flex of the carbon cuff much more progressive. I guess that also adds some support while climbing without the tongue. I would highly recommend it.

So I take it the carbon backlands are vastly superior to the non-carbon version?

Tom Steinbrecher wrote:

So I take it the carbon backlands are vastly superior to the non-carbon version?

I have the previous version where they had the black carbon ones and the orange light ones (I think they also had a carbon shaft). Not having skied the new non-carbon ones I would guess that yes the carbon is worth it if you value downhill performance (maybe except super light skiers)
Bogdan Petre · · West Lebanon, NH · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 1,098

I used the stock strap so all my comments above pertain to use with that strap. Also intuition pro tour liners are stiffer than the stock so take that into consideration as well. Once I set the strap for downhill I leave it the same for uphill and climbing. I only open the top buckle and release my heal bar to climb or skin.

Don't know about non carbon but these boots are already soft and need all the help they can get (tongue issue notwithstanding). I'd definitely be getting carbon versions just to be safe. 

Ended up with a pair of the carbons with a booster strap, lucked out browsing some gear swaps.

Now the next question, what's the biggest ski you can drive with these boots?

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
Tom Steinbrecher wroteNow the next question, what's the biggest ski you can drive with these boots?

How well do you want them to ski? + what sort of snow. 

C Limenski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15
NorCalNomad wrote:

He wants them to ski as well as possible! He's in Utah so some great powder and decent crud!

Wait. Maybe that's what I want ...
NorCalNomad wrote:

I want to be able to get chargey but not break my shins in half... like could this boot drive something 110ish?

Tom Steinbrecher wrote:

I want to be able to get chargey but not break my shins in half... like could this boot drive something 110ish?

I guess that depends on the style of 110ish ski.
- relatively central mount point and dual rocker in powder --> sure
- metal ski with mount further back and rough conditions --> probably not
Jakob Melchior wrote: I guess that depends on the style of 110ish ski.
- relatively central mount point and dual rocker in powder --> sure
- metal ski with mount further back and rough conditions --> probably not

Copy that. Dream ski is out on this... guess I'm in the market for a third boot lol

Think I'm going to go with a combo of the findr 86 in 182 with this boot and mostly use it for fast fun ski mo shit
Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
Tom Steinbrecher wrote:Think I'm going to go with a combo of the findr 86 in 182 with this boot and mostly use it for fast fun ski mo shit

1. I have that ski, it's FANTASTIC. For such a light/ narrow ski they punch way above their weight/waist. 

2. Yeah unless you are in that just came down Montana cold smoke (or maybe that super light stuff you guys get in UT) you're not going to be able to charge with a 110 + procline.

Been skiing a BD Helio 95 with these (173cm, I'm 6'1"). It's worked fine. Wouldn't go wider. Might go narrower.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Arcteryx procline climbing performance? Warmth?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started