Mountain Project Logo

Sport / Bouldering with Toddlers

Original Post
Ian Block · · Redondo, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 116

Anyone else have youngens that won’t sit still but will probably fall of a cliff?

Looking for suggestions for good belays or bouldering locations that climbing parents have come across. 

So far I have: Rifle and 3 sisters as pretty good options

Sam T · · Boise, ID · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 570

Guessing you're in the Front Range? If so:
Castlewood Canyon
Upper West Ridge/Rincon in Eldo
Tons of boulders all over the Flatirons
Guanella Pass Boulders
Garden of the Gods
Morrison Boulders (When it's cool and there are less snakes)
RMNP/Estes: Pretty much unlimited options around Bear Lake/Glacier Gorge for bouldering, Chaos Canyon, Upper part of Jurassic Park, Near Emerald Lake, etc

Which boulders are you referring to in Morrison? At least the darkside and the cave seem inadequate for a non sure footed toddler. 

stick em in a tree?

Jake L · · Denver · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I brought mine to castlewood canyon sp in castle rock. It’s a short hike to the grocery store wall boulders and there’s a nice flat clearing. My very first time I brought them to Morrison and it was extremely damgerous. One slip and they very well could’ve died. Never again lol

Derick Page · · Ft Collins · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 35

The Performance Park in Estes has room for a toddler to run around or ride their Strider, kid friendly climbs when they are ready, bathrooms close by, and a stream to chuck rocks in.

Anona I. · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 0

In general, the base of a crag (cliff) is not a good place to bring toddlers.  I have seen at least two very close calls of falling stones/rocks narrowly missing toddlers.  There are many hazards beyond falling rocks, too.  There's got to be a way for you to get out for some climbing/bouldering and leave the toddlers in good hands at home.

Kevin Pula · · Denver · Joined May 2012 · Points: 20
Chris Ilg wrote: In general, the base of a crag (cliff) is not a good place to bring toddlers.  I have seen at least two very close calls of falling stones/rocks narrowly missing toddlers.  There are many hazards beyond falling rocks, too.  There's got to be a way for you to get out for some climbing/bouldering and leave the toddlers in good hands at home.

Yeah Ian, kids shouldn’t be outside! It’s dangerous and they could get hurt. Keep them inside away from harm and germs! No playgrounds either. Swings are dangerous or they could fall off monkey bars. Nevermind all that outdoor free range play research crap, it’s all fake. They should only play inside at McDonalds playplaces. It’s definitely okay to strap them into a metal box and fly down a highway at 80 mph to get there though.

But seriously, I second the performance park in Estes suggest. Parking within 100 yards, sidewalk approach, great place for kids to wander and explore. Climbs from 12s to 5.4. We’ve also taken our toddler to the Ironclads outside Allenspark, Jurassic, Shelf and a couple places in Clear Creek. CC options were less ideal though in terms of space for them to explore. 

What in Clear Creek besides for East Colfax?

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

I'm all for getting kids outside but you should be careful about where you take them.  A few years back there was a serious accident at Church Bowl in the Valley where an infant in a car seat was struck in the head by a falling rock.  Very serious head injury where the kid's long term recovery was not guaranteed.  It's one thing to accept risk for oneself. It's very different to be comfortable with making that decision for someone else.  I've taken my kids lots of places (in CA) but the few times its been to a crag they've older and nimble footed where they can play away from the base (and be in the shade). Obviously I don't have any specific suggestions for you on where to take them in CO, but you're right to ask around.

Thanks all for the concern of safety......Hence, why I am asking about other parent's suggestions on safe sport crags and BOULDERS to take toddlers where risk is very low. If you don't have suggestions on where to do such activities please feel free to move on with one's life and on to productive output.

I've been bouldering in Three Sisters where my toddler can safely run around while my wife chases her and visa versa. Even in Rifle where the crags see a lot traffic (minimal risk of choss) and awesome belay ledges where a toddler can run free far away from the wall for the same type of activity.

One is able to do it and I'm sorry for other's negative perspective on being able to pursue this - just simply looking for more options - like Performance Park looks like a great option and wouldn't have found out about it if I didn't post this!

This is in fact the internet so I should have guessed we would all have an opinion though.....

Happy climbing and parenting. :)

physnchips · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Hey Ian, toddlers are tough because they don’t understand danger and also fall like clumsy clowns at totally random times. There’s some decent areas if you are up for a walk. Can’t remember how much sport the following areas have

Flatirons:
Gregory Canyon
Amphitheater

Clear Creek:
There’s that new trail that goes to fiscal cliff that I’ve considered trying out (load up the wagon)

Eleven mile (eg training ground)

I hear Castlewood is good, but don’t know myself.

I was hiking in Golden Gate and saw some potential but didn’t really check it out too much.

If you want to try to team up some time let me know. Could be a total disaster but never know until you try.

IanKBlock wrote: What in Clear Creek besides for East Colfax?

I’ve had kids at Little Eiger, Capitalist Crag and Nightworm Pinnalce that I can remember. I think those all may have been before they were toddlers though and we used ether a portable play area, had them on the belayer’s back or were a party of three.  

Another great area was Staunton State Park. We took a 1 yo there but seemed like a great place to let a kid explore and play. 
Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 520

Low first bolts help! Climb fast! I’ve always thought you could easily turn a packnplay into a packnportaledge pretty easily. We’re from AZ, but we took this kid to Jurrasic Park when she was 17momths and it was pretty smooth. Lots of space up by edge of time. 
SteveZ · · Excelsior, MN · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 431

The klettergarden was wonderful when we took our guy there at about 2yo. The place is beautiful and the problems are too. Easy flat landings, short approach, etc. 

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105839124/the-klettergarden

Mike D · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 845

My boy loves Flagstaff...

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

I took my wife and newly acquired 2 y.o. stepson to Castlewood to vainly try to keep my climbing lifestyle going. I was belaying the wife while the toddler proceeded to walk past a sleeping or lethargic 4' rattler.
A kind woman at the crag discovered this as she was carrying him back to us.
I mention this so you scratch Castlewood off this until after the first big snow of the year, and never after April.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Sport / Bouldering with Toddlers"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started