Mountain Project Logo

Rainy Forecast for Indian Creek this week- Should I stay or should I go?

Andy W · · Ft Collins · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 41
Rob T wrote:

Black Canyon looks as good as IC on Saturday. Unaweep has a pretty good forecast all weekend as well. Both offer more durable stone than the Moab area. 

50 in the Black is not as good as 60 in IC -- multi pitch with limited sun exposure vs single pitch with possible endless sun exposure.

Unaweep is a good suggestion that I had overlooked/forgot about -- thanks! It's unfortunate the camping situation there is less than ideal.
Ron O · · middle of nowhere, southern… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Always nice to see climbers with more concern for the environment than their own ambitions.

BTW atmospheric river over IC tomorrow.

Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391

Charlie - Thank you, great link!

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

These “rain in IC” threads always baffle me. This isn’t red rocks, this is splitter crack climbing.  You really only need to worry about climbing wet face holds, cracks aren’t going to break off.  The hysteria continues I guess.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Ocalslay Onlyyay wrote: These “rain in IC” threads always baffle me. This isn’t red rocks, this is splitter crack climbing.  You really only need to worry about climbing wet face holds, cracks aren’t going to break off.  The hysteria continues I guess.

Think about a fall on a cam stuck in wet sand.............

kalockwood · · SLC, UT · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 342

Wet rocks matters because of the gear, not holds.

Ocalslay Onlyyay wrote: These “rain in IC” threads always baffle me. This isn’t red rocks, this is splitter crack climbing.  You really only need to worry about climbing wet face holds, cracks aren’t going to break off.  The hysteria continues I guess.

Wrong! Camming cams will pulverize more rock, ropes will cause deeper grooves, and to a smaller extent, the friction from climbers' shoes, tape gloves, and gear being dragged will erode more sand away than if dry. Perhaps free soloing both up and back down, barefoot and without gloves, will only bring the wet stone negligible harm, but the impact to dry sandstone with standard technique is already of a serious sustainability concern. Don't endanger the rock more by suggesting people should go climb in IC after it rains.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

Like I said - cue the hysteria 

Definition for hysteria: 1. exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion, or 2. a psychological disorder -- none of which apply. You're either ignorant, oblivious, trolling, or a mix of the three regarding dangers of wet sandstone and applicable word usage. Either way, safe for all to disregard the nonsense you type.

Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 451

Currently hearing more rain on my roof here in Moab.  We need the rain, but I understand the frustrations of those who travel here from elsewhere.

I'll be happy to give canyoneering recommendations to anyone who PMs me.  If you're climbing, you'll already have all the gear you need.  This is a great time to try out a new way to recreate in the desert!  There are also some rad petroglyphs around; for those of you who purchased Creek Freak, Karl mentions a few ruins in Indian Creek that you could check out.

Bolting Karen · · La Sal, UT · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 56

Another wetting rain in Moab this morning, still raining right now. Work got changed to Arches today so no update on the Creek unfortunately. Forecast is for a little more today and tomorrow in both Moab and Monticello. Dew point is high right now and the humidity (89% currently in the Creek) is keeping the rock from drying out as well, even when its not raining. Bummer for the area as far as rock climbing is concerned, plus for the ecosystem though. I'm sure there are some spots in Rifle that are dry and Uniweep is granite so those two might be good choices nearby for the weekend.

Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 775

Um yeah, Burch is trolling.

Canyoneering, recon hikes and /or  cultivating a rich inner life FTW this week.

https://m.facebook.com/magpiecycling/photos/a.10150509172349589/10157018402529589/?type=3&source=48

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

Everything is totally drenched. Supposed to clear tomorrow, but the rock is exceptionally soaked. Unlikely it will really be dry enough until Sunday

This isn't a shower and wait a day kind of circumstance. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised and climb Saturday, but I doubt it.

Yep, we have also accepted the rock will not be ready for the weekend... I would even be surprised the insides of cracks are dry by Sunday. We've changed our destination to Unaweep.

Robert Lindsen · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Reluctantly cancelled a group trip to the Creek this weekend; agreed, it's too wet and climbing anything there this weekend would be poor climbing stewardship.

garrett K · · salt lake city · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 148

Anybody know about conditions in escalante?
Seems like it got less rain than moab but still a little yesterday

Tony Luchetta · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 30
garrett knorr wrote: Anybody know about conditions in escalante?

we shall not speak of this place

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Tony Luchetta wrote:

we shall not speak of this place

Yes, since it's such a well guarded secret:

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105788880/escalante-canyon​​​
Ben Williams · · Van · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 40
garrett knorr wrote: Anybody know about conditions in escalante?

Ive been out in the montrose/delta area the past few days - and i can vouch that there has been plenty of rain out this way. Even this morning delta was blanketed with dense fog. Id say if youre stuck on leaving the front range, unaweep or rifle is your best bet out here... 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Rainy Forecast for Indian Creek this week- Shou…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started