Mountain Project Logo

Rats and Gear storage

Original Post
M L · · Sonora, CA · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 165

Over the years I've kept my gear in various places from old basements to garages to 2nd bedrooms and never had an issue with rats chewing my gear up.
Just moved to a more rural area on some land with me gear in the garage which is none to secure and have my gear in some boxes and open tubs on the ground. Should I be concerned? We had to replace our HVAC in the house due to rodents. Don't really have the time or $$ to take on a new project right now but I also don't want my gear destroyed.
Any thoughts?

chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6

do the $15 plastic bins at target not work?

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

Rat proof your garage, and keep your gear in tubs with handled locking lids. Get a dog that is game..

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Chris Blatchley wrote: do the $15 plastic bins at target not work?

This. Just use the plastic bins with the lids. Not that difficult.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16

The only reason rats would chew your gear is if it smells like food. If you can't ensure your gear doesn't smell like food(spilled sardines?), get a metal foot locker or just get a new garbage can that has a tight lid. I prefer see though bins, but I know a squirrel can get through one of those in about 30 seconds.

Metal garbage cans are the cheapest option.

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

Cat... Or seduce the Rat King and run his empire by proxy.

Backwards Eric · · Fargo, ND · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,378
Buck Rio wrote: The only reason rats would chew your gear is if it smells like food. If you can't ensure your gear doesn't smell like food(spilled sardines?), get a metal foot locker or just get a new garbage can that has a tight lid. I prefer see though bins, but I know a squirrel can get through one of those in about 30 seconds.

Metal garbage cans are the cheapest option.

Or if the rats are very hungry shoe leather is food :-) . Extreme example I know, but this is a shoe that I saw someone left out at Trout Creek:

Ryan SD · · Rapid City, SD / Reno, NV · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

Go to the humane society and grab a cat

Should I grab it by the pussy?

Harold Sutton · · Syracuse NY · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 7

Plastic Bins or adopt a Dog !   Ideally one that does not chew on climbing rope or piss on stuff in the house. 

Backwards Eric wrote:

Or if the rats are very hungry shoe leather is food :-) . Extreme example I know, but this is a shoe that I saw someone left out at Trout Creek:

That was an extreme case of "Toe cheese"...

So has anyone ever had a rodent chew up their gear in their garage or basement?

No but I have had to deal with rats and mice chewing up other stuff...I think dogs are better for rats than cats. Vice versus for mice.

Handle your business. Rodents are nasty.

notmyname wrote: So has anyone ever had a rodent chew up their gear in their garage or basement?

I spilled sardine juice in my pack once, and a mouse did get to some of the retired nylon slings I had repurposed.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

You'll want to install this right next to your gear tubs.

Andrew Jackson · · Greensboro, NC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1

Yes, rats will chew your gear up! I  stored a retired  rope in my garden shed in an open container, they nested in the rope and chewed it up. 

Max Supertramp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 95

hang the gear above ground level, y'know, like from a piece of cord.   

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718

This guy has dozens of traps (kill and no-kill) for all types of rodents and insects on his channel if you feel like getting creative. He also does reviews of traps on the market and compares them to homemade ones.

Shawn Woods Youtube​​​

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

I'd suggest trying one of these rat bashing sticks

CTB · · Cave Creek, AZ · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 305
Good thing the breaker was off when rats chewed through this cable laying on the ground in my shop.  Those fuckers will chew and steal almost anything to add to their burrows. Don't underestimate them.
Don't underestimate them. 

Instead, eliminate them...
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Rats and Gear storage"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started