Mountain Project Logo

Free Solo Movie

Original Post
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Alexander Stathis · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 656
Tradiban wrote: A review:

https://www.newyorker.com/recommends/watch/free-solo-a-documentary-about-the-hardest-climb-in-history

The GF is a life coach?!

Yes. It's a bit silly. If moving into your professional climber boyfriend's van can work for her, why can't it work for you? 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Pro tip: people who decide “life coach” sounds like a viable career probably aren’t worth taking advice from.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

A simple google search finds the Sanni McCandless Coaching

I am not quite sure what life coaching is, or how it works for people, but there are testimonials from those who found it useful. And seems like a background in psychology might be useful in navigating her own relationship with a guy who may not be the best at relating to/interacting with people.

Justin B · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 25

Life lesson #1:

Find an athlete that's loaded (even if he lives in a van), convince him to buy you a house, cry about the dangerous things he does. Profit.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Lena chita wrote:
I am not quite sure what life coaching is, .

It's my understanding that a "life coach" is a therapist without the training or license. I think anyone can claim to be a life coach.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

Life lesson #2

When choosing an activity with monetary compensation, aka "a job", make sure that every and each d-bag ( d is not for dirt) on mproj approves!

Ted Pinson wrote: Pro tip: people who decide “life coach” sounds like a viable career probably aren’t worth taking advice from.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "viable career" is. If you define "viable career' as the type of career that allows you  to earn enough money to live the lifestyle you want, then why not? Someone is willing to pay for the coaching she is providing, and is getting what they want out of it...

I would argue that any type of counseling/coaching is something that only works for a subset of people, and not every coach/client combo fits well, but for those who benefit from it, it is a good resource. I have sought counseling once -- grief counseling after losing a baby. I've gone to a few sessions, fortunately fully paid for by insurance, and realized that I wasn't getting anything out of these sessions that I couldn't also get from supportive friends/family, and I stopped going. There was no magic bullet that the psychologist could provide, grief eventually run it's course. Basically, it felt that i was paying someone for something that I was already getting from my support circle for free. But what if I didn't have supportive friends/family? Maybe then having a counselor would have been more beneficial.    

Edited for typos...

Dave Meyer · · Santa Barbara · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 270
Justin B wrote: Life lesson #1:

Find an athlete that's loaded (even if he lives in a van), convince him to buy you a house, cry about the dangerous things he does. Profit.

It's sad and I wish those two the best, but she did come off like that in the film. 

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

Yes, MP! Straight to the relationship sniveling. Y’all never disappoint! 

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669

Go climbing.

Justin B · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 25

Que the MP bros that get triggered by internet conversations/sarcasm. Right on time.

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370

Sounds like someone's jealous.  Why do you give a F what she does with her life?   

Short Fall Sean · · Bishop, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 7
Justin B wrote: Que the MP bros that get triggered by internet conversations/sarcasm. Right on time.

Whereas the bro who only logs on to make misogynistic comments arrives early!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
FrankPS wrote:

It's my understanding that a "life coach" is a therapist without the training or license. I think anyone can claim to be a life coach.

Apparently there is certification.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Ted Pinson wrote: Pro tip: people who decide “life coach” sounds like a viable career probably aren’t worth taking advice from.

I don't know. $190/hr seems pretty viable to me.

http://www.universalcoachinstitute.com/life-coach-salary/​​​
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Lena chita wrote:

I guess it depends on what your definition of "viable career" is. If you define "viable career' as the type of career that allows you  to earn enough money to live the lifestyle you want, then why not? Someone is willing to pay for the coaching she is providing, and is getting what they want out of it...

I would argue that any type of counseling/coaching is something that only works for a subset of people, and not every coach/client combo fits well, but for those who benefit from it, it is a good resource. I have sought counseling once -- grief counseling after losing a baby. I've gone to a few sessions, fortunately fully paid for by insurance, and realized that I wasn't getting anything out of these sessions that I couldn't also get from supportive friends/family, and I stopped going. There was no magic bullet that the psychologist could provide, grief eventually run it's course. Basically, it felt that i was paying someone for something that I was already getting from my support circle for free. But what if I didn't have supportive friends/family? Maybe then having a counselor would have been more beneficial.    

Edited for typos...

I don't think life coaches are licensed therapists. 

Tradiban wrote:

I don't think life coaches are licensed therapists. 

The are (or can be) licensed. And we can argue about whether the licencing from Life Coaching Institute is worth shit, or not.

But the bottom line is, Someone is willing to pay money for it, so there is a career someone can make out of it. There are a lot of things out there that fall under category  of "who the hell pays for that": professional wedding planner? professional closet organizer? professional clothes shopper?

People ask for life/relationship advice on MP all the time. And a whole bunch of completely unlicensed armchair therapists chime in, and sometimes even offer helpful advice. So there is clearly a need for life advice out there that is not being met just by friends/family for some people. Or maybe they have family/friends who not supportive of their decision to quit their job and live in a van, or whatever it is they are trying to do. Sometimes telling someone and having someone to hold you accountable is what people need. And you don't need to have a license for that, though having one would hopefully make for a higher a chance that your advice is at least not harmful.

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669

I'm not here to criticize life coaches (I could use a few full time, myself), but I don't think "License" equals "Certification". Life Coaching Institute provides, "certification". I think it's disingenuous to try to confuse the two, or to think that they are the same.

Jeff G · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,098

Not at all how I saw her in the movie.  She cried a few times in the movie because a person she loves was planning to go and attempt the boldest and most dangerous thing ever conceived in the modern history of rock climbing.  I was practically crying with stress just watching the movie and I, of course, knew the outcome.  

I would guess that she has very much to offer her clients who are willing to pay for that type of service.
Long Ranger wrote: I'm not here to criticize life coaches (I could use a few full time, myself), but I don't think "License" equals "Certification". Life Coaching Institute provides, "certification". I think it's disingenuous to try to confuse the two, or to think that they are the same.

Good point, I didn't look at the page too carefully.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Free Solo Movie"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started