Mountain Project Logo

FS: TOTEM Cam

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Mason Stone wrote: You mean fixed by hand. Or something we can fix, not low cost hand job as that's something else.

You're absolutely right. Low-cost handjobs should be posted in the Great Deals thread.

Marc-Olivier Chabot · · Gatineau, QC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 440
Mason Stone wrote: You mean fixed by hand. Or something we can fix, not low cost hand job as that's something else.

The downside with totem, like DMM, is the need to ship oversea for repair. Personnaly I would pay totem for the repair but if a fellow want to do the repair at a low cost and I could somehow help, I am available. The wire is only use to retract the lobes, it's not a structural piece and do not take any load, so yes, if money is an issue I don't see why it can't be hand made repair at a low cost. It is a non life threatening structure in the cam. If a trigger wire broke in a middle of El Capt you will did any cheap job possible to make the cam back in the rack. 

On a good note, no other cam would have hold on a marginal 2 lobes placement. It still better and a lot more cheaper to fix a cam then fix a body. 

This is the first broken wire reported to me. This seem an uncommon issue. 
Andrew Krajnik wrote:

You're absolutely right. Low-cost handjobs should be posted in the Great Deals thread.

I like it. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Marc,
I think you are missing the meaning, hand job is American slang for a particular sex act. Just for your information.

I think people understand you are just trying to do right by the customer.

Mason Stone wrote: Marc,
I think you are missing the meaning, hand job is American slang for a particular sex act. Just for your information.

I think people understand you are just trying to do right by the customer.

Dammit.

Andrew Krajnik wrote:

Even better now!

cdawg lion · · BeaUTAHfull · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 165

pmed

Embarrassed to say · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 5

....update Kailas has more dismal customer service than Totem, they don't even reply. I'll "jimmy-rig" my Totem cable, but in the future I'm going back to Metolius and BD. I guess(?) a cable shearing at the pin/crimp like that is my fault anyway. 

Embarrassed to say wrote: ....update Kailas has more dismal customer service than Totem, they don't even reply. I'll "jimmy-rig" my Totem cable, but in the future I'm going back to Metolius and BD. I guess(?) a cable shearing at the pin/crimp like that is my fault anyway. 

I'm not dealing with the usual Kailas customer service but I heard they are very slow after a week-long holiday.

Just a quick interesting story.

I just came back from a day climb with my friend who is already very convinced about the benefit of the Totem cams. I noticed his Black Diamond C3 and I wanted to compare this cam with the equivalent Totem.

No 1 red C3 have a range of 12.0mm-18.8 mm (0.47-0.74 in).

Black Totem is the equivalent with a range of  11.7 mm-18.9 mm.

C3 have many downsides. It's a 2 stems cam that results in a poorly equalize protection on perpendicular placement, the stems is stiff and mostly, it's only a 3 lobes cams. Why some climbers like it? It's available in very tiny range and mostly, have a very narrow head that fit where others cams won't fit.

Of course, the Totem with the Patented Direct Loading Camming Device system and the very flexible wires (stem) have a huge advantage on the C3. But if we look where the C3 excel we saw that the black Totem have the same head wide. This is incredible! A 4 lobes cams with all his benefits have the same wide than the 3 lobes cams. This is where C3 used to beats all others cams. Hope you get what I'm saying!
Honestly, there is absolutely no more good reason to buy a C3 no 1 and no 2. It's maybe why Black Diamond stops the production recently.
The Totem is also 1.25 inch longer than the C3 and gives you more reach and many clipping capabilities and the possibility of 2 lobes placement that is 1/3 the head wide of the C3. C3 it's a light cams. Yes, the No 1 have only an "astonishing" 6 grams (0,21 oz) less than the black Totem. The black Totem have also more range (see back the spec on top). I think I've said enough!
C3 is not bad compared to most cams, I still have the 000 in my rack. It's mostly Totem that is miles ahead in the industry.

Undocked Piggies · · People's Republic of West M… · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 857

In summary, Totems are bitchin!

yup, bitching all other cam

Piotr Sobczak · · Laredo, TX · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0
Marc-Olivier Chabot wrote: Just a quick interesting story.

I just came back from a day climb with my friend who is already very convinced about the benefit of the Totem cams. I noticed his Black Diamond C3 and I wanted to compare this cam with the equivalent Totem.

No 1 red C3 have a range of 12.0mm-18.8 mm (0.47-0.74 in).

Black Totem is the equivalent with a range of  11.7 mm-18.9 mm.

C3 have many downsides. It's a 2 stems cam that results in a poorly equalize protection on perpendicular placement, the stems is stiff and mostly, it's only a 3 lobes cams. Why some climbers like it? It's available in very tiny range and mostly, have a very narrow head that fit where others cams won't fit.

Of course, the Totem with the Patented Direct Loading Camming Device system and the very flexible wires (stem) have a huge advantage on the C3. But if we look where the C3 excel we saw that the black Totem have the same head wide. This is incredible! A 4 lobes cams with all his benefits have the same wide than the 3 lobes cams. This is where C3 used to beats all others cams. Hope you get what I'm saying!
Honestly, there is absolutely no more good reason to buy a C3 no 1 and no 2. It's maybe why Black Diamond stops the production recently.
You know what? The Totem is also 1.25 inch longer than the C3 and gives you more reach and many clipping capabilities and the possibility of 2 lobes placement that is 1/3 the head wide of the C3. C3 it's a light cams. Yes, the No 1 have an "astonishing" 6 grams (0,21 oz) less than the black Totem. Not enough? The black Totem have also more range (see back the spec on top). I think I've said enough!
C3 is not bad compared to most cams, I still have the 000 in my rack. It's mostly Totem that are miles ahead in the market.

A suggestion, please put this post and the ones on page 4 into your OP so that all can see the truth about Totem power ;)

God Bless Totem

Jplotz · · Cashmere, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,315
Piotr Sobczak wrote:

A suggestion, please put this post and the ones on page 4 into your OP so that all can see the truth about Totem power ;)

God Bless Totem

You're scaring me. 

Piotr Sobczak · · Laredo, TX · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0
Jplotz wrote:

You're scaring me. 

Why? In Totem we trust.

Anna Ferntheil · · ANCHORAGE · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 13

Got another trouble free order from Marc :)

Jon Browher · · Wolfeboro, NH · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 340

Are the totems in?

BTW to heck with the trolls; this man's passion for one particular type of SLCD is enjoyable enough to deserve at least two threads. 

Brow Dog wrote: Are the totems in?

BTW to heck with the trolls; this man's passion for one particular type of SLCD is enjoyable enough to deserve at least two threads. 
Totem MT has received the payment yesterday, 2 days later than expected. To take back there own words it should be shipped today or in very few days.

Apparently, my enthusiasm is not welcome by everybody. In an effort to not displease them I will limit my words on this forum. Apparently when you sell something you can not really like it and talk about it for the right reason.
Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25
Marc-Olivier Chabot wrote:Apparently, my enthusiasm is not welcome by everybody. In an effort to not displease them I will limit my words on this forum. Apparently when you sell something you can not really like it and talk about it for the right reason.

You can do whatever you want Marc, just be prepared for some people to get annoyed and express their sentiments. Others will express gratitude.

Sam Cieply wrote:

You can do whatever you want Marc, just be prepared for some people to get annoyed and express their sentiments. Others will express gratitude.

I guess you're right.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started