Mountain Project Logo

Ingrown toenail!

Original Post
Tanner Dayley · · Bountiful, UT · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hey everyone,
I hope I'm not the only one who deals with this... climbing shoes and my feet just dont mesh super great. Have any of you found any really great ways to get rid of ingrown toenails?
Then, a follow-up question, have you found any good prevention methods for the same issue?
My agonizing toe appreciates all the advice y'all can offer.

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25

There are some surgical procedures that seem to be pretty successful if this is a recurring issue. 

Tanner Dayley · · Bountiful, UT · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Yeah, I don't have the money for it right now... I have had the surgery before and it's great, but i thought I'd ask I'd anyone else has experience with another effective method. 

A R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Pull them off with a pair of pliers and cauterize with a soldering iron, no wait you were serious. Medical treatment is the way to go, the options abound from simple to removing the toenail completely. Remember, anything you do yourself without the knowledge necessary for success increases your risk especially of things like staph infection, which can kill you. So go see a doc. Medical treatment, like professional help, is worth what you pay.

Neil Rankin · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 166

I've dealt with mine by soaking in hot water with Epsom Salts.  A six pack cooler is a nice size bucket and will keep the water hot for longer.  Also make sure your shoes are not too tight and are the right fit for you.  Ingrown toenails can get bad but I've kept mine at bay with with this method.  Now I hardly notice it if ever.  

Forrest Carver · · Edgecomb, ME · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 150

There is a slightly painful and non-instantaneous trick that has worked for some people I know. You can cut a triangular notch in the center your toenail (as deep as you can stomach), and over time the nail will grow in to fill the gap, pulling it out from the ingrown side.

It's been forcibly claimed that this is bogus, but I know active, no-nonsense people who swear by it.

It did not work for me, fyi.

K Weber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 15

How much have you been quoted by a podiatrist?

I had lateral side of both big toes 25 years ago.  Success!

Might seem expensive now but it should last many years.

Kevinmurray · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

Had both my big toenails removed because of ingrown nail issues, one just a month ago. Worth it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Ingrown toenail!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started