Mountain Project Logo

Observations of an outsider climbing the Front Range...

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16

So the Estes Park Brewing thing....I gave up beer since March to lose weight for this trip, so my taste buds went dormant on me. I usually like IPA's or Pale Ales. But now I am much more into lighter styles. Estes Park Brewing had a really well rounded Citrus Ale, that we were able to get at the tap room, and sit outside and watch the light go down on the Rockies. What more could you want?

Peet's has been my go to coffee for a long time, since my first Yosemite trip in 2001. It brews up beautifully over a Whisperlite and my little percolator.

The Spur had some of the hardest trad moves I ever climbed. That 5th pitch upper portion with all the pins and bolts was too much for me in the 15-20 knot gusts we were having. I had to French free the last couple moves after getting blown around. That spinner is scary, but there is a good bolt below it. The rest of the route is very nice

I am switching over to hunting season now though. Saw two bears, at close range, while grouse hunting yesterday. One was a pretty good sized boar, probably 400 lbs. The look on my dogs face was priceless, I was blowing the whistle for him to come, and he was like "Yeah, I get it".  You could see all the flies around the bear, and I swear you could smell him. Smelled like rotten onions and bad breath.

Bob . · · lyons, co · Joined May 2012 · Points: 10

Glad you enjoyed the trip, Buck!  
I'll be out your way for whitetail this year (northern Wisconsin).

Bob . wrote: Glad you enjoyed the trip, Buck!  
I'll be out your way for whitetail this year (northern Wisconsin).

Plenty of deer this year, two consecutive easy winters. I haven't seen many BIG deer, but I'll be happy with anything older then 2 1/2 years old. I can legally shoot any sex this year, but I typically only shoot bucks with more than 4 points total. 

There is a lot of logging activity on the public land adjacent to our property, don't know how that is going to affect the hunt this year. 

Good luck in WI - lots of deer for everybody.
John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392
Keith W wrote: Funny you mention the homeless in BoCan and not wanting to leave your car. I have heard of way more people getting their car broken into in Clear Creek Canyon than BoCan. And yes, Eldo is where it's at on weekdays!

That's because Bo'da has a higher class of homeless person.  ;-)

John Byrnes wrote:

That's because Bo'da has a higher class of homeless person.  ;-)

Ya....no. 

Although the one fellow that I was most concerned about in the pull off for the Dome had on a pair of what appeared to be super hero tights. I didn't want to be present for any kind of meltdown.

CCC had a lot of climbers, but nobody was just hanging out in the pull-offs waiting for people to leave their vehicles.
Buck Rio wrote:

Although the one fellow that I was most concerned about in the pull off for the Dome had on a pair of what appeared to be super hero tights. I didn't want to be present for any kind of meltdown.

No worries, that guy in the tights was just an old '80s climber wearing his Spandex.  Lotsa them around Bo Da.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
John Byrnes wrote:

That's because Bo'da ...

BoCan I get, but Bo'da?
John Byrnes wrote:

No worries, that guy in the tights was just an old '80s climber wearing his Spandex.  Lotsa them around Bo Da.

My fear was he was going to try and solo Gorillas Delight...I have no appetite for the ensuing cleanup. His actions were of someone trying to psych themselves up into doing something extreme. 

It wasn't Mic Fairchild.
Marc801 C wrote: BoCan I get, but Bo'da?

Bo'Da = Boulder, as in The People's Republic of Boulder.   

What is the "Native" controversy going on?  Someone mentioned it to me, and I had no idea what they were talking about. Apparently  if you put a "Native" sticker on your Subaru you are a dick???

Someone please tell me what it is about, so I too can be cool. (I drive an F150)

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
John Byrnes wrote:

Bo'Da = Boulder, as in The People's Republic of Boulder.   

Oh, as in how a two year old might pronounce it. 

physnchips · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Buck Rio wrote: What is the "Native" controversy going on?  Someone mentioned it to me, and I had no idea what they were talking about. Apparently  if you put a "Native" sticker on your Subaru you are a dick???

Someone please tell me what it is about, so I too can be cool. (I drive an F150)

Because natives are tired of snowboarders from out of state thinking they are such hot shit, talking trash and cutting lines, but then groom a basic ass black sliding down on their board. Applies to other areas, but mostly snowboarding. And we’ve always hated Texans because fuck that (Californians too but less).

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274

in general, the "native" thing is also a running gag because few people in CO that partake in outdoor sports are actually natives. 

I actually see a LOT of stickers in MN...so apparently some exports too. Mostly on Subaru's.

curt86iroc wrote: in general, the "native" thing is also a running gag because few people in CO that partake in outdoor sports are actually natives. 

1) not true that few natives partake in outdoor sports 

2) proportionally, you are likely right given the draw to move from an out of state place without great access to outdoors into CO in order to now participate in more outdoor sports. Which putting yourself in the perspective of people who grew up in these outdoor spaces that are now much more crowded, you can probably sympathize with some of the frustration (especially when areas are treated like shit, which honestly is nothing new but more people equals more shit)

The whole native entitlement is really stupid, which is what the bumper sticker is about. Native frustration over  the problems that crowding brings is legit, but it is what it is. Vote for environmental expansion and protection or volunteer for trail maintenance to mitigate impact instead of mope. Take a hike to a less busy crag.
nbrown · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 7,719
physnchips wrote:

Take a hike to a less busy crag.

Spent most of the summer (~ 100 days all together) at semi-obscure crags in SSV and never once saw another climber. A very welcome reprieve from Boulder-area crags.

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469
Buck Rio wrote: What is the "Native" controversy going on?  Someone mentioned it to me, and I had no idea what they were talking about. Apparently  if you put a "Native" sticker on your Subaru you are a dick???

It’s just a dumb bumper sticker that came out 20 or 30 years ago, don’t remember when exactly.  Luckily the fad has mostly faded now.  And physnchips is right, mostly directed at Texans and Californians (but really only because of their sheer numbers).

Kevin Pula · · Denver · Joined May 2012 · Points: 20
physnchips wrote: 2) proportionally, you are likely right given the draw to move from an out of state place without great access to outdoors into CO in order to now participate in more outdoor sports. Which putting yourself in the perspective of people who grew up in these outdoor spaces that are now much more crowded, you can probably sympathize with some of the frustration (especially when areas are treated like shit, which honestly is nothing new but more people equals more shit)

I’m curious about the balance of of non-native outdoor enthusiasts treating places like shit versus natives. In a broad generalization, overwhelmingly the most atrocious things I see in terms of treating recreation spots like shit are people holed up at dispersed campsites riding ATVs and shooting guns (in particular I’m thinking rampart range road, the ironclads and storm mountain in Drake). I might be way off base but I typically associate those activities more with “native” front rangers. My experience is people moving to CO from out of state for outdoor recreation reasons often also come with a piousness about saving the world by not using plastic straws and other environmental minded perspectives.
nbrown · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 7,719

Kevin has a valid point. In my experience it was this way in Asheville, NC as well. A ridiculous amount of "non-natives" moving there for outdoor recreation (A LOT of CO plates, for the record!), who were generally more mindful of land stewardship than the average local. This is of course a broad generalization, and there certainly are exceptions, but this seems to hold true in most places like these.

Kevin Pula wrote:
I’m curious about the balance of of non-native outdoor enthusiasts treating places like shit versus natives. In a broad generalization, overwhelmingly the most atrocious things I see in terms of treating recreation spots like shit are people holed up at dispersed campsites riding ATVs and shooting guns (in particular I’m thinking rampart range road, the ironclads and storm mountain in Drake). I might be way off base but I typically associate those activities more with “native” front rangers. My experience is people moving to CO from out of state for outdoor recreation reasons often also come with a piousness about saving the world by not using plastic straws and other environmental minded perspectives.

Yeah, as I said, treating certain areas like shit isn’t really new. Sedalia, Castle Rock, highway 67 generally, is pretty redneck and you’re going to see some shit around those areas. On the other hand, CSprings areas have gotten worse due to outsiders, in my opinion, but that’s in part due to the type of people that CSprings draws. Boulder definitely seems to go the other way, drawing more people environmental zealots from outside.

Regardless, I don’t think any areas are really handling the influx too well. Boulder is at least stepping up in trail maintenance and is trying. Jeffco also seems to be trying. CSprings, as usual, doesn’t generally give a shit.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Observations of an outsider climbing the Front…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started