Mountain Project Logo

RRG- Back Entrance to The Zoo?

Original Post
BWulf · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 1

Went to The Zoo the last time I was at the Red. We hiked in the way it’s described on MP and in the book- stream crossing, up the steep hill with the knotted rope, then arriving at the arch between Old & New Zoo. I noticed a path beyond Scar Tissue and Hypocrite and somebody told me that there was a back way in that came out at those routes- is that true? Where do you go to join that trail? Heading back out there in a few weeks and a direct path to Scar Tissue would be cool. 

Peter BrownWhale · · Randallstown, MD · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 21

First time at the Red we missed the steep hill to the right and followed a path back further then up and to that section of the Zoo.  The standard approach is much easier/faster

Go Back to Super Topo · · Lex · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 285

Just follow the "standard" approach, please. That parking lot does not need any more access issues and anything coming in from the backside of the zoo (if it's where I am thinking) is likely to be on some sort of private land. Besides, the Zoo has one of the shorter approaches in the red anyways. 

BWulf · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 1

Gotcha. Thanks for the info guys! 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

I still say we should add a Tyrol.

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

There's a steep gully there near where you describe, there is no alternate trail. For the sake of preventing ecological damage and the fact that it is all private property please follow the standard approach.

Alexander Stathis · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 656
DrRockso wrote: There's a steep gully there near where you describe, there is no alternate trail. For the sake of preventing ecological damage and the fact that it is all private property please follow the standard approach.

Any plans to build a bridge and a better trail? The zoo approach is a nightmare given that the river crossing is variable and the trail itself is definitely an erosion issue. 

It's on private non climber owned property, building a bridge could create some liability issues for the landowner and potentially jeopardize the access. 

Alexander Stathis · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 656
DrRockso wrote: It's on private non climber owned property, building a bridge could create some liability issues for the landowner and potentially jeopardize the access. 

Bummer -- that's the worst situation for everyone, basically. Thanks for the reply. 

Go Back to Super Topo · · Lex · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 285
Ted Pinson wrote: I still say we should add a Tyrol.

lmao

Tony Bob · · Fairview Park, OH · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

I'd happily throw money at some proper trail-building effort for the zoo. Nothing like a PITA approach. Besides, it would reduce the crazy erosion (degrading waterbanks, exposed roots, etc) taking place over there and risk of someone slipping/tripping and getting hurt which I'd be shocked if it hasn't happened already.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

There is a new commercial looking building in the Roadside/Zoo parking lot. My guess is that there are going to be major parking problems for climbers quite soon. Climb both Roadside and Zoo while you can.

amarius wrote: There is a new commercial looking building in the Roadside/Zoo parking lot. My guess is that there are going to be major parking problems for climbers quite soon. Climb both Roadside and Zoo while you can.
  • I doubt that.  April who owns Roadside and the parking lot and new business going in has already added parking to that lot over the last year.  The business will mostly be to go beer and food so it's unlikely enough customers will be sticking around long enough to create parking issues.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "RRG- Back Entrance to The Zoo?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started