Mountain Project Logo

Rainy Forecast for Indian Creek this week- Should I stay or should I go?

Original Post
K W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I was planning to fly out to Moab and Indian Creek tomorrow from 10/1-10/9 but the forecast looks like it may rain throughout the week with weather conditions described as such: "Chance of light rain showers. 0.05 inches of rain possible", and slight chances of thunderstorms with precipitation percentages ranging from 11-44%.  I know it's recommended to wait 36 hours for sandstone to dry. Looking for some experienced Indian creek climbers or locals on whether you would still head to the creek given this forecast, or cut your losses and save the trip (and vacation days) for another time. Thoughts? Recommendation? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Garret Nuzzo Jones · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 1,436

Stay away from the Creek.

Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391

We got rained out this morning (cut a week long vacation short by 4 days   ).  This Hurricane Rosa is creating flood watches from Baja California up through Idaho.  It's likely to be wet for a while.  With that much rain, the rocks will need 2 days of sun after this monsoon to be safe again.

K W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Ah what a bummer. Thanks for the input though! Will probably stay near granite this week. 

Paisley Wayward · · San Diego, ca · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

If anyone lives out there and wants to give updates about how the weathers passing, that would be awesome. Planned to head out there 4-16, but stopping in red rock where’s it dry and hoping the rain passes and the rock dries!

justino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 319

Very wet in Moab with more on the way 

Em Ren · · White Salmon, WA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 60

There was soo much rain and wind this morning! Snow in la sals as well. Just from looking at the forecast, it doesn't look like there will be be any climbing days this or next week. 

Paisley Wayward · · San Diego, ca · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Here’s to hoping it rains itself out this weekend!!

Shannon Wu · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 1

Exodus to RR happening tmrw AM from the Lazy Lizard if you wanna join our crew (of 4)

Ben Williams · · Van · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 40

So so so much rain again today

Martin Harris · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 200

A little rain and some sun on steep stuff its usually good after a few hours or a day.  Days of sustained rain takes days to dry out.  My opinion any how.

Andy W · · Ft Collins · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 41

Weather sources are claiming some sun in the area today, even forecasting mostly sunny tomorrow. Can anyone on the ground confirm? Wondering if things will get enough sun to dry out for this weekend. Thanks in advance for any reports!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Andy W wrote: Weather sources are claiming some sun in the area today, even forecasting mostly sunny tomorrow. Can anyone on the ground confirm? Wondering if things will get enough sun to dry out for this weekend. Thanks in advance for any reports!

You really won't be able to make that assessment until at least Thursday.

This Afternoon     Mostly sunny, with a high near 59. West wind around 5 mph.
Tonight     Isolated showers after 1am.  Mostly cloudy, with a low around 48. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southeast in the evening.  Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Wednesday     A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly between 7am and 1pm.  Partly sunny, with a high near 62. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Wednesday Night     A 30 percent chance of showers after 1am.  Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45. West southwest wind around 5 mph becoming east in the evening.
Thursday     A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 4pm.  Mostly cloudy, with a high near 61. South wind around 5 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.  Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Thursday Night     A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 7pm, then a slight chance of showers between 7pm and 1am.  Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Friday     Partly sunny, with a high near 62.
Friday Night     Partly cloudy, with a low around 42.
Saturday     Mostly sunny, with a high near 62.
Saturday Night     Mostly clear, with a low around 39.
Sunday     Mostly sunny, with a high near 57.
Sunday Night     Mostly clear, with a low around 37.
Monday     Sunny, with a high near 60.

Bolting Karen · · La Sal, UT · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 56

Just drove through the creek on the way home from work. Wet and still sprinkling with heavy threatening clouds everywhere you looked. Probably AT LEAST a couple more days.

Clayton - THANK YOU! I'll buy you beer (not sure how, but will find a way!) if you post another update after your drive home tomorrow (if you make that drive daily). It would be encouraging if it actually ends up mostly sunny!

Marc - I didn't ask for when an assessment could be made, but I appreciate you taking the time to copy and paste the forecast I referenced. Since I didn't make it clear, I was specifically asking for first hand reports of today and tomorrow's weather.

Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 775

It’s raining AGAIN. Seek granite.  Seek sunshine. Seek elsewhere. 

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20

I love climbing at Indian Creek during storms. The climbs are always empty. Even while it is not raining. 

Bolting Karen · · La Sal, UT · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 56

Rained a bunch this morning again. I'll be back up there tomorrow for work again and post another update.

JF1 · · Idaho · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 400

Just a thought worth considering, rain is "bad" for climbing on sandstone, but for the rest of the desert ecosystem in a major multi year drought it is "good."

Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 775

Spare me the lecture dude. I know how plants work. What’s happening to my big important rock climbing trip?? 

Clayton - THANK YOU for the reports!!
JF1 - I think the rain is great! The whole West needs this moisture, and more. Plus I've been enjoying sleeping in after a long summer of alpine starts.
trailridge - needless to say, don't climb on wet sandstone...
Rob - any suggestions for sunny granite within 7hr of Denver? CO has snow forecasted for Sun. Little Cottonwood possible moisture Sat. WY cold and snowy. Creek sunny all weekend.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Rainy Forecast for Indian Creek this week- Shou…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started