Mountain Project Logo

Transitioning backpacker to climber. Mentor/question

Original Post
Brittany Amber · · Clinton, NJ · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0
  • Hey! New to mountain project! I'm an avid hiker but I've come to the realization that the higher in elevation I go the more I need essential skills. I usually hike all over VA, PA, NY and NH with the only non lazy thing in my life; my dog
EDIT: okay only half of my post show up...so no one saw the actual questions (sorry) anyway I'm transitioning and I've heard that to be an excellent mountaineering I should master the art of rock climbing. I'm currently at the gym perfecting my skill. I had a few questions for people who've been through this transition...once I make the move to outdoor rock climbing do I need a partner? Everyone in my life doesn't really appreciate outdoor activities and my dog cant belay me. everyone at my gym seems like they already have partners and/or are more experienced than me. Many say I should check into a mentor but I honestly feel like who would want the hassle of working with someone less experienced.  Has anyone made this transition before (from backpacker to climber) if so angry advice...do I need a mentor to show me the ropes? Do I def need a partner? Any help will be appreciated 
J D · · SC · Joined May 2017 · Points: 25

What's your question? 

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

General mountaineering, using basic rope systems to protect scrambling on easy but exposed ground may be the best place to start. Places like New Hampshire offer loys of summer a rambling and easy winter mountaineering.

If you don't have anyone to take you out talk to the people at IME in North Conway. Even if you don't want a guide, I bet if you call the shop asking for a suggestion of where to go they'd be happy to help. 

James Sweeney · · Roselle Park, NJ · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 30

Brittany,

Check your PMs  (email)

Jim

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Transitioning backpacker to climber. Mentor/que…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started