Mountain Project Logo

Totem Watch thread 2018

Original Post
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Ok, you loons...stop posting when full priced totems are for sale in the Great deals thread.  Even blacks.  Here’s a thread for you...go nuts.  Err, cams.

baldclimber · · Ottawa, Ontario, Canada · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6

Is this where we banter about the best online deals of 2018?

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215

What’s a Totem Watch? Does it have a heart monitor? Can I sinc it with my Totem cams? Does sincing require full set of Totems? Most importantly, is it compatible with MP?

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1
Fehim Hasecic wrote: What’s a Totem Watch? Does it have a heart monitor? Can I sinc it with my Totem cams? Does sincing require full set of Totems? Most importantly, is it compatible with MP?

I was hoping it would log all vertical gains...

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I actually bought two black totems and a purple from Backcountry Gear a couple weeks ago for $89 each. But they've since gone up. 

Gerson R · · Las Vegas · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 1

sport climber here, can you explain why totems are so sought after?

Chris Bersbach · · Arroyo Grande, CA · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 356
Gerson R wrote: sport climber here, can you explain why totems are so sought after?

They're like bolts, but like, way better.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Gerson R wrote: sport climber here, can you explain why totems are so sought after?

A totem is a special object which has been modified to have a specific, unique quality that only the bearer of the object is familiar with. If the bearer is in their own reality or dream, their totem will have the correct weight, balance, etc., but if they are in someone else's dream, it will have properties assigned to it by the dreamer, who isn't familiar with the totem, and it will feel wrong to the bearer of the totem who is familiar with it. This allows the bearer to test if they are in their own reality or dream, or in a dream created by someone else.

Wolf L · · New York, NY · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 136

Currently backcountrygear seems to be the only US dealer with totems in stock. I bite my teeth and got two blacks minutes before they were all gone.

https://www.backcountrygear.com/totem-cam-1.html?sku=TOT4T10000-BLUE-0.65&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplpTOT4T10000-BLUE-0.65&sc_intid=TOT4T10000-BLUE-0.65&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3KzdBRDWARIsAIJ8TMSU8Sw9UU5H6HuzvKR22uIgyJq7Ur27Ds7dsLb4wS8zCabU5IFVdwcaAu_SEALw_wcB

al ex · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

So it seems backcountrygear is marking totems up from msrp now? Or did the msrp go up again?

Tedk · · elliottsburg pa · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

rock and snow has a few reds and oranges online for 89.95

Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85
David Kerkeslager wrote:

A totem is a special object which has been modified to have a specific, unique quality that only the bearer of the object is familiar with. If the bearer is in their own reality or dream, their totem will have the correct weight, balance, etc., but if they are in someone else's dream, it will have properties assigned to it by the dreamer, who isn't familiar with the totem, and it will feel wrong to the bearer of the totem who is familiar with it. This allows the bearer to test if they are in their own reality or dream, or in a dream created by someone else.

This actually explains a lot.  I must always be in someone else's dream, because every time I use one I think, what's the big f@#$ing deal?

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265

People want what they can’t have. 

Nick Baker · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 86

Hard to explain without a long post unless you understand cam placement, but put simply the design allows then to be placed in a wider range of crack configurations with a larger margin of error.   They can replace offset cams (cams with 1 side larger than the other for flared cracks) for many people as they can be placed with the lobes unequal.  Aid climbers like them as they can be used for body weight on 1 lobe which means they can fit in tiny spots.

Matt Castelli · · Denver · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 280

Waiting for any posts about sales

Evan C · · Chatty Fatty · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 218
Matt Castelli wrote: Waiting for any posts about sales

You have to look in the Great Online Deals of 2018 thread for those.

Marc-Olivier Chabot · · Gatineau, QC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 440
Please read my detail post at mid page 4. 

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112939616/totem-cams-black-to-orange-preorder-kailas-nucototem-basic-and-kailas-emery-nuts?page=4

I also sell the cam.
Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342
Nick B wrote:

Aid climbers like them as they can be used for body weight on 1 lobe which means they can fit in tiny spots.

Can you explain this? 

Matt B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 472
Kevin Mokracek wrote:

Can you explain this? 

I believe he means 2-lobe (i.e. 1 set of lobes)

See Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbMSl2BCxpk

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342
Matt B wrote:

I believe he means 2-lobe (i.e. 1 set of lobes)

See Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbMSl2BCxpk

Oh, I am very familiar with two lobe placements.  Didn’t know if he was.  

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Kevin Mokracek wrote:

Oh, I am very familiar with two lobe placements.  Didn’t know if he was.  

Don't be that guy.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Totem Watch thread 2018"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started