Mountain Project Logo

Map of Yosemite features?

Original Post
Mark Straub · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 245

I'm wondering if there are any guidebooks or websites that have a detailed, labeled map of the features in Yosemite Valley.  I'm mostly interested in the smaller, more obscure formations and cliffs.  Does anyone know of something like this?

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54

Caltopo has the bigger features named https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.72082,-119.60083&z=13&b=mbt

I use the Reid guidebook when climbing in the Valley, it has pretty much everything you need. It *doesn't* have a real nice color map though, if that's what you're looking for.

Erik Sloan has a new guidebook that may or may not have detailed maps, I haven't seen it: https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/115342416/please-preorder-the-new-yosemite-guidebook edit: looks like it does, based on this: rockclimbyosemite.com/wp-co…

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 35

for smaller more obscure spots and routes (read extremely obscure) go for reid. It has more features, and more routes than sloan's. Sloan's is good, it has nice pictures and there are a few routes that arent in reid's (newer climbs, reid guide is ancient). Sloans book has what, 750 routes? reid guid has twice that many.
I use both, sloans when i want to get stoked (despite his questionable bolting ethics) and reid when I want to get way off the beaten path. I dont like the supertaco anymore, the descriptions are too discouraging, "slippery move" always makes me think of slippery when I'm doing it. Its good to have though to know which routes to avoid, anything with 4 or 5 taco stars is going to be a cluster cluck

Thanks for the links Kendall.  Is this the Reid guidebook you're referring to? https://www.amazon.com/Yosemite-Climbs-Free-Don-Reid/dp/0934641595

Also, does anyone know what the spires on the ridgeline between the Cathedral area and Taft Point are called?

close, but I would go for the '98 version. I got a used one in great condition for 12 bucks on some website or another
edit: not the select guide, the full one from '98

Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 775

Try typing ‘Pohono pinnacle’ and perhaps ‘obscurity ‘ into the search box in Supertopo 

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54
Mark Straub wrote: This one? amazon.com/Rock-Climbing-Yo…

Yes I believe that's the latest one available. The book is not super detailed (by which I mean black and white topos, short descriptions), but it's probably the most comprehensive book available in terms of the number of climbs.

kendallt wrote:

Yes I believe that's the latest one available. The book is not super detailed (by which I mean black and white topos, short descriptions), but it's probably the most comprehensive book available in terms of the number of climbs.

yeah, looks like it

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Map of Yosemite features?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started