Mountain Project Logo

Top roping near Denver/Boulder?

Original Post
Hannah Dorn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

I am visiting Denver and have two friends with me who would like to climb. I have experience, but they are both pretty new. Looking to stay about an hour from Boulder or 2ish hours from Denver.

So I'm looking for some areas with shorter approaches where I'm able to hike up above, set up top rope on chains and rap down.

*Dont have any long slings or trad gear to set up my own anchors*

Dan Gozdz · · Louisville, CO · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 1

Easiest one by Boulder that I can think of is Nip and Tuck crags. Easy approach (60s) and at least 4 spots to setup toprope anchors on bolts from above, though 1 is reachy to do at 5' 10". It gets pretty crowded on weekends as it is well known for this. Bring a quad and its simple.

Jay Eggleston · · Denver · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 21,381

Table Mountain in Golden has lots of easy to set up top ropes.

Derick Page · · Ft Collins · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 35

Duncan's Ridge in Ft Collins has a short approach with many bolted anchors at the top of a short cliff with lots of moderate routes.

Jesse Marks · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 330

I second n table. Its great for new climbers due to short approach and easy to access top

Patrik · · Third rock from Sun · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 30
Jay Eggleston wrote: Table Mountain in Golden has lots of easy to set up top ropes.

Facing straight south with not a single tree in sight = blasting hot from May through Oct.

Mike Carrington · · Centenntial · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 2,776

Castlewood canyon, Grocery store wall

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50

Happy Hour crag in Boulder Canyon. Would need a long piece of webbing or two though. Lots of places you could pick one up on the way

Table Mountain is close and has good top rope climbs  with bolts and chains but will be really hot (and probably crowded)

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

It is really easy to knock rocks off of the top at Table where they drop onto the crowds below. And if you are not familiar, the routes are hard to identify.
You should post up looking for a ropegun for a moderate crag.
Another option is "Fraiding", where you aid up the bolts with a harness runner, quickdraws, stick clip and a belayer.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Top roping near Denver/Boulder?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started