Mountain Project Logo

Dawn Wall Premier

Original Post
Hamish Hamish · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

So Dawn Wall is having a premier in my hood, but it looks like they’re only selling tix for a single showing.  Can I expect more showings later, or is this the deal with niche films these days?  I realize this is gumby stuff, just never go to movies...

Kevin Buddin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 5

One time deal in theaters 

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25

It’s getting a week run at my local theatre.

Zac Barr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2002 · Points: 10

Hey there, this is Zac from Sender Films. We made the movie.

It'll screen all over the US on Sept 19. For now it's a one night only deal. Tickets here https://www.fathomevents.com/events/the-dawn-wall

Concurrently, it's playing a weeklong run at theaters in NY + LA beginning Sept 14

Later on, theaters may pick it up. But if you want to see it theaters go now! 

Zac Barr wrote: Hey there, this is Zac from Sender Films. We made the movie.

It'll screen all over the US on Sept 19. For now it's a one night only deal. Tickets here https://www.fathomevents.com/events/the-dawn-wall

Concurrently, it's playing a weeklong run at theaters in NY + LA beginning Sept 14

Thanks Zac, and cheers... looking forward to seeing it!!

Matt Pierce · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 312

Just looked and my area is totally sold out. Typical for Colorado. A One night showing only? Honestly, that fuckin sucks.

Matt Pierce wrote: Just looked and my area is totally sold out. Typical for Colorado. A One night showing only? Honestly, that fuckin sucks.

Just bought tickets.  The one climbing-related advantage of living in shitty areas with minimal climbing is the ability to readily attend climbing movie premieres.  

Also it’s easier to keep our gear clean ;)
Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
Matt Pierce wrote: Just looked and my area is totally sold out. Typical for Colorado. A One night showing only? Honestly, that fuckin sucks.

You would have thought that they would have figured it out in Denver... I mean TGR's new ski film has multiple nights of shows, I think 5 shows at the Oriental alone. 

Meru ran for a while at an independent theater here.  

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

I assume they are doing the one-day theater release to become eligible for awards like the Oscars. I assume they plan on releasing the film through other venues (eg the internet) to make $.

Best
Matt

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25
Parker Wrozek wrote:

You would have thought that they would have figured it out in Denver... I mean TGR's new ski film has multiple nights of shows, I think 5 shows at the Oriental alone. 

Meru ran for a while at an independent theater here.  

I imagine if the per theatre average is significant for the opening week leased events, the movie will get proper distribution eventually. Or at least streaming.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
mpech wrote: I assume they are doing the one-day theater release to become eligible for awards like the Oscars. I assume they plan on releasing the film through other venues (eg the internet) to make $.

Best
Matt

Fair, nothing like the big screen though. 

Dustin B · · Steamboat · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 1,275

Zac, If one lives too far from a venue and cannot make the theatrical release, when and how can the film be watched/rented/purchased? 2019?...

Matt B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 472

Boulder has added more concurrent showings as previous ones sold out. I'd keep an eye on theatre the next couple days to see if they add other showings.

brian burke · · mammoth lakes, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 165

just saw it.  super good!  very nice line walked between authenticity and mainstream accessablity.  this seems especially hard considering the somewhat  complicated and esoteric rules of big wall free climbing.  respect to sender et al.  

Aaron Felder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 25

Spoiler alert: They send it.

Tim Opsahl · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20
Zac Barr wrote: Hey there, this is Zac from Sender Films. We made the movie.

Is there a plan to release behind-the-scenes footage with more of the unedited pitch by pitch climbing for the nerdiest of us? Would buy!

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215

Circle jerk review​​​

Wow what a great flick :()

Question for anyone else who may have just seen it - they show Kevin working some boulder routes early in the film.  I’m pretty sure one was Midnight Lightning, and another was on Grandpa Peabody.  Just curious whether I spotted those right or not...

edelweiss · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Just watched it.
It's a shame that such a formidable movie will be in theaters just for one night. Because everyone should see it. On the big screen. 

hangontightly letgolightly · · Unknown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 10

It was really really well done. gripping. loved it

Michael Hall · · Bay Area · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

F#*king pitch 15!!… great film!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Dawn Wall Premier"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started