Mountain Project Logo

Sonora pass pct trail

Original Post
Mark Dormanen · · Nevis, MN · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0
  1. Yes I usually hike in winter powder conditionswith snowshoes but starting back on the pct back in may 15th area 2019, and was wondering what kinda setup if you have experience please that I need to bring so I dont overkill it with gear or weight but also not underdo it either. What's a good setup snowshoes/microspikes , crampons/microspikes, or what kinda setup . I'm not used to spring time in the mountains and I know at least there will be 12 ft snow there but I dont know what to use for springtime setup. Also I'm going from sonora pass all the way up to Canada thanks for any info. 
Spopepro O. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

May in that area is changeable.  You won't know what you need until close to when you're trying to get on the trail depending on snowfall and how early the snow starts melting.  Two years ago you would have literally been on top of 12ft of snow.. or more (108 opened on 6/13).  This past year you probably only would have needed spikes for some portions depending on when in May.  May is big melt time, so conditions change daily.

Also, remember that the fire (which still isn't contained) appears to have made it up to, and over the PCT.  Kennedy Meadows is fine, but the Dardanelle store, all but 2 of the cabins on the dardanelle flats, and pretty much all the forest service campgrounds burned along 108 west of the pass.  This might affect the trail, or might affect when they are able to start plowing/clearing the road, and will almost certainly affect your plans in some way.

Mark Dormanen · · Nevis, MN · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Thanks for that info for sure 

Spopepro O. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

I should also add that the forums at highsieratoppix usually have the best aggregate condition reports for the high country around there.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Sonora pass pct trail "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started