Mountain Project Logo

Best Fall Climbing?

Original Post
Nicole Breed · · Yucca Valley CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Looking for advice on the best places to go internationally for the fall//winter. Hoping for a cheap place with decent healthy food and I’m fine with putting up with (some) bad weather. Happy to travel anywhere in the world, mostly a sport climber, beginner - only leading in the 10s. Probably wanting to spend 2 to 5 months out exploring. Traveling solo so a place with a friendly crowd would be a plus! Thanks in advance!

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

Can you be a bit more specific--such as types of climbing (trad, sport, bouldering, alpine, ice), how much time you will have, distance you are willing to travel, as different areas would be best depending on your responses.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

Probably the bext international place to go would be someplace out of the country.

Bendon Arthar · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Do you have any choices yet? Would you like visit Europe or Asia?

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

El Chorro.

Kalymnos.  Geyikbayiri.  These two could actually be done on the same road trip with a short boat ride (Bodrum).  But...weather might be poor into November December.

Bendon Arthar · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Winter is always interesting. I also like to visit in winter season. 

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098
Dylan B. wrote
I know you said international, but if you’re thinking September-October, there is no better destination than the north woods of North America—New Hampshire, Vermont, Adirondacks, Wisconsin, Minnnesota, southern Canada.

In all of the world? Really? Minnesota is a world class climbing destination, eh? MP Gold here.

To the OP:
Sport Climbing? Go to Spain or France. There's a reason the American sporto pros consistently spend the good seasons in Spain. If you want multipitch sport climbing go to the Verdon.

Trad? There's a reason the European trado pros consistently spend the good seasons in Yosemite or other CA destinations. (I'm including squamish as part of CA).

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

Late fall/winter: Potrero Chico. Cheap, easy to get to. Sport climbing of all grades. Lots of potential partners

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105910764/el-potrero-chico

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098
Brian Abram wrote: Late fall/winter: Potrero Chico. Cheap, easy to get to. Sport climbing of all grades. Lots of potential partners

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105910764/el-potrero-chico

This is a great suggestion. Good options at the .10 level.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

While Potrero is a great winter destination, I'd suggest travelling somewhere farther afield if you have a 2-5 month block of time available. Having the time to go on such an extended trip is, for most people, an infrequent opprotunity. So you should go somewhere farther away and harder to get to when you have the chance. A place like Potrero is pretty easy to visit on a 1-2 week vacation for someone living in the US, so that's a trip you can easily make some other time.

I'd suggest either southeast Asia, Greece/Turkey, or Spain as good options.

SE Asia: Fly to Guilin, climb in Yangshou until it get cold in late fall, then fly south to climb in Thakek and Tonsai during the winter. Fly out of Bangkok to get home.

Greece/Turkey: Fly to Athens, see the sites there, then go to Kalymnos. Climb there until it gets cold, then head to Geyikbayiri. Fly home via Istanbul (with sightseeing there also on the way out).

Spain: Fly into Barcelona, climb in Catalunya, then head south along the coast. Climb in Costa Blanca, then continue south and finish in El Chorro. Fly home via Malaga.

Any of these options should offer good weather from fall into winter. All have great climbing, and are major destinations where you'll be able to find climbing partners. Choose whichever seems most appealing from a travel/culture experience perspective. Or whichever you can find a good deal on a flight.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Best Fall Climbing?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started