Mountain Project Logo

Approach Sandals/Flip-flops

Original Post
mtndan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5

What are your favorite sandals/flip-flops for climbing?

I'm looking to buy some new footwear (sandals/flip-flops). I want something ultra-lightweight to wear descending from the top of multi-pitch trad climbs. Something I can clip to my harness or lightweight enough to carry. I would wear tougher shoes for the approach and leave them at my pack while climbing/belaying.

Thing's I've tried and don't like: 

• Most approach shoes generally don't fit my wide feet (wide foot ultralight approach shoe suggestions appreciated)
  • I don't like the Teva velcro straps
  • I love the support Chacos provide, but are too heavy
Ideally I'd like an ultralight flip-flop with traction. Does anyone know any good ones or have other ideas?
En_al_zo 3 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 36

Check out xero shoes. I've never tried them, but it seems to match what you're looking for.

blakeherrington · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 1,123

Any super cheap and light foam flops.

An even lighter option is finding a pair of old insoles from some hiking shoes, and then using a few feet of thin stretchy elastic cord to turn them into flip flops.

A Difronz · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 35

Bedrock Sandal Co makes some solid stuff for ultralight yet durable sandals.

Stephen C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

I tried the sandal thing for a while. What I learned is this is one of the best ways to get your climbing shoes to smell like death.

Keatan · · AZ · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 50
Anthony DiFronzo wrote: Bedrock Sandal Co makes some solid stuff for ultralight yet durable sandals.

+1

Rasputin NLN · · fuckin Hawaii · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0
Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260

I tend to just either go barefoot (depending how long you might have to walk of course) or use  a pair of running shoes. I run with minimalist-style shoes, so they're super light and you can easily roll them to fit into a pack if you prefer...

Actually you might be surprised how much you can do barefoot - most ground isn't that bad for barefoot. Before I started doing that on a regular basis, it seemed to be me that  one couldn't really do too much barefoot. Partly that's my feet adapting, but for the most part I would say it's simply down to underestimating our ability to be functional without shoes on...

The worst type of ground would be thin rocks (like gravel) over a hard surface. But generally higher up it seems to me you mostly see either bare rock (that's fine and you can go quite some ways on that) or some vegetated ledges (which tend to be soft surfaces, which is also fine, though pine cones & the likes can get annoying). If you have slightly technical ground (like class 4 or really easy class 5) I'm not positive if I would prefer shoes or barefoot. I do feel more certain of my steps barefoot. Or worst case you can put climbing shoes back on for short technical sections on the way out if need be.

Of course that depends on the context of the climb - if you can see yourself being force to overnight on the wall and/or veer significantly off-course on the way out and have to walk really long distances, barefoot is less attractive unless you're used to walking/running those distances barefoot.

Kennedy Carey · · Midlothian, VA · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 240
Anthony DiFronzo wrote: Bedrock Sandal Co makes some solid stuff for ultralight yet durable sandals.

+2

Andrew Seymour · · Folsom, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

I've spent years searching for good climbing flip flops. The best options I've found so far are the evolv slack, which have stickyish rubber. The footbed gets slippery though, so they aren't perfect. I have climbed 3rd class in them pretty often. Cruzers are pretty great as a minimalist shoe. I have fairly wide feet and they work well enough, plus they can handle up to easy 5th. Just not any good for long approaches due to no support.

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669

No luck fitting into the LS TX2's? I run in LS size 46 trailrunners, but size down to 44 for TX 2's 'cause I like them snug on my wide feet.

ChadMartino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 45

Just ordered a pair of the Bedrock 3D Adventure Pros with the Vibram sticky soles. Will report back on how well they hold up to approaches. I’m a long time approach shoe lover, from the original FiveTennies until now, but have been wanting something better to free my feet in hot weather.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525
MattFindlay wrote: Check out xero shoes. I've never tried them, but it seems to match what you're looking for.

The OG xero hurache-style sandals are pretty bad for approach/climbing stuff. The straps near your arch rip out if you put a lot of lateral force on them (walking on slabs). They replaced for me and the 2nd pair did the same. Company had good support but not really interested to try again. Even before they break they weren't great (for me) because my foot slides around. Maybe the chaco-style version is better.

Overall though I'm not really sold on the barefoot style minimalist soles for climbing purposes because it kills your feet for talus/scree field scrambling.
trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20

Watch out for dog poop. Poopy toes is a real bummer.  Rattlesnakes too!

Josh Lowy · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 793

I'm a huge fan of the Evolv Slack (https://evolvsports.com/slack-sandal/).  I wouldn't use them for any remotely intense hike/approach/descent, but I need more support on that kind of terrain.  They are incredibly grippy, to the point  that I've been able to complete a handful of boulder problems in them.  Otherwise short approaches, slabs, campground lounging, they are my go to for their comfort and traction.
I haven't tried out their Cruzer but I'm very curious.

mtndan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5

Thanks for the suggestions! I will be sure to post updates as I shop around~

• It looks like the Evolv Slack is closest to what I'm looking for: flip flops with traction~ My old cheap ones slide on slabs too much.
  • Tried barefoot. It just hurts. Maybe I need to man up.
  • I really want the Evolv Cruzers to work. I don't have super wide feet, but my old five-ten casual shoes were just so uncomfortable around the toe box that I never wore them. Same with my Salewa Wildfires. They never broke in. Every time I try La Sportiva shoes in the shop, they feel tight as well. 
  • Bedrock Sandal Co gets lots of love here, but they seem 30% more expensive than any other suggestions here.  No problems like the xero hurache-style sandals?
  • Seems like the Chaco style Xeros might have the support I like.  The main office is on the way back from most of my climbing destinations, so I'll check them out~
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
MattFindlay wrote: Check out xero shoes. I've never tried them, but it seems to match what you're looking for.

I got a pair of the Xeroshoes, specifically the Z-Trek, for camp shoes while backpacking. At an advertised weight of 11 oz for a pair, they're pretty lightweight. My only complaint is that there is no upturn in the toe, so dirt and gravel gets in under your feet easier.

Micah Hoover · · Seattle, WA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

+2 for xeros.  I've had a pair for years and love them.  Can't get much lighter than these, but they're durable and secure enough for varied terrain.

Connor FM · · Bowlder, CO · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 186

Crocs. Bonus points for being able to put them on over climbing shoes

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105
mtndan wrote: 
  • Bedrock Sandal Co gets lots of love here, but they seem 30% more expensive than any other suggestions here.  No problems like the xero hurache-style sandals?

They're worth it.

Note that unlike Xero and the others, the Bedrocks have actual approach-shoe rubber, same as you'd get on a Sportiva or Scarpa.
Seth Bassetti · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

$12 costco dad sandals. Super versatile, pretty comfy, lightweight enough, and cheap as hell. No downsides

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Approach Sandals/Flip-flops"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started