Mountain Project Logo

Grown Men Who Live in Vans: Lonesome or Loathsome?

Holden Caulfield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2007 · Points: 0

This is a climbing website.  Climbing helps nobody, contributes nothing.  Phonies.  

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098
Tradiban wrote:

So what are you doing to make other people's lives better?

I smile a lot.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Tradiban wrote:

So what are you doing to make other people's lives better?

You really enjoy trolling, apparently. How are you improving lives? Except to keep cubicle dwellers entertained??

(Wasting time on MP while sucking up coffee and not lifting weights like I'm sposta be doin)

FWIW? How does living in a van for a year differ from wasting your freshman year in college, being, well, wasted? Mom and dad are likely paying for the latter, but not necessarily the former.

As for "bring back the draft"? That's one of the most repulsive, ignorant, and insulting statements you've made on here, at least to me. As long as we need militaries, the military will need cannon fodder, but, that also comes with a huge responsibility to take care of your troops. That, is still an uphill battle.

A year of service? A nice thought, but there's too many people here to make it work forcibly. Monied or connected folks can always get out of compulsory anything.

As for van life? Those people are paying taxes on the resources they use, same as everyone. Contributing to local (often small town) economies, and, not wasting the resources a homeowner does. Like keeping a lawn going almost anywhere in the west. Most, that I know of, either are retired (already paid their "dues"), are working, either remotely or picking up jobs now and then, or, saved up enough money to take some time off.

Yeah, I'm an outlier in climbing, low income, but I'm hardly alone in not having a trust fund, lol! Awful lot of jealousy in this thread, trad!

Best to ya anyway, sir, Helen
M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090
Holden Caulfield wrote: This is a climbing website.  Climbing helps nobody, contributes nothing.  Phonies.  

BS

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Old lady H wrote:

You really enjoy trolling, apparently. How are you improving lives?

I'm not, that's why I have kids so they can do it for me. Duh.

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098
Old lady H wrote:
As for "bring back the draft"? That's one of the most repulsive, ignorant, and insulting statements you've made on here, at least to me. As long as we need militaries, the military will need cannon fodder

Yes. Exactly. Extraordinarily ignorant and insulting statement from 'ban.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

This is too easy and reminds me of a song:

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Ryan Swanson wrote:

On the contrary...

Lol! Just wait till we can roll some other species in there, eh?

Best, OLH
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Holden Caulfield wrote: This is a climbing website.  Climbing helps nobody, contributes nothing.  Phonies.  

Except it helps stop planes from running into big towers and causing them to crash to the ground killing people and disrupting cell service which could also lead to someone needing to call 911 but can't by changing the lights.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
Ocalslay Onlyyay wrote:

the rest of us that end up in a life without crotch droppings (either by choice or not) fill the void the best we can, and it's almost always in a manner that's annoying to the rest of us.  Extreme relationships with pets.  Suspended adolescence to the max.  Look-at-me-materialism.  Etc Etc. 

ho ho ho! Ha ha ha!

myah!

I block your wang slap, by slapping your advancing hand away with downward and outward slashing motion upon your wrist with my own hand!

it is you who demonstrates the insecurity, by spray about your "crotch droppings" and attempted hurling your insolence at those child free as people who try "fill the void" ... "almost always in a manner that's annoying to the rest of us.  Extreme relationships with pets.  Suspended adolescence to the max.  Look-at-me-materialism.  Etc Etc." 

if you claim your postings writings above in the quotation are not judgmental, you are only fooling yourself, and not one persons else.

may your judgmental attitude disappear at the crux!

hyah!
Brian 1 · · Oceanside · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Vannin': A Documentary - Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWq8ZMUdQVg

june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 110

But  climbing is fun. And as Ben and Jerry  said , if its not fun why do it?

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
Aleks Zebastian wrote:

ho ho ho! Ha ha ha!

myah!

I block your wang slap, by slapping your advancing hand away with downward and outward slashing motion upon your wrist with my own hand!

it is you who demonstrates the insecurity, by spray about your "crotch droppings" and attempted hurling your insolence at those child free as people who try "fill the void" ... "almost always in a manner that's annoying to the rest of us.  Extreme relationships with pets.  Suspended adolescence to the max.  Look-at-me-materialism.  Etc Etc." 

if you claim your postings writings above in the quotation are not judgmental, you are only fooling yourself, and not one persons else.

may your judgmental attitude disappear at the crux!

hyah!

6/10 for effort, 2/10 for efficacy.

I tend to write carefully, choosing phrasing and words because the way you say or write something is important.  If you read what I wrote, it leaves room for exceptions to the rule, as there are always exceptions.  

Let me break it down in a list, as I think that might help you understand in between fishheads.  These are in order from least common to most common, and although not all-inclusive, it's mostly complete.  Full disclosure, I feel like I'm a C/E combo since I have a decent balance, but my relationship with my wife suffers because we don't share many personal hobbies.

A. Highest Evolution - People who carry on an entire lifetime without having children, and do not experience any of the longing for them (normally driven by biology.) They carry themselves in a way that is pleasant to those around them.  They don't behave in a way that will likely land them in an MP thread, getting skewed for some sort of douchebaggery that is apparent to most outside viewers.  These are the superhumans.

B. People who carry on an entire lifetime without having children, but are indeed plagued by the internal animal drive to reproduce.  Like those in group A, they manage to carry on in a non-offensive manner, adding value to their own lives and those they interact with in an unobtrusive and non-obnoxious manner.

C. People who engage in reproduction of some sort, thus satisfying the biological drive we can't escape as animals, and have relative balance to their life.  Even though this is the third most common category, it's still pretty uncommon.  Somehow these guys and gals pop out some kids, and manage a relatively interesting existence with them.  

D.  People who also carry on an entire lifetime without having children, and are indeed plagued by the internal animal drive to reproduce, but suck at it.  Unlike their more advanced peers in the higher A & B castes, they fill the void with a series of activities and pursuits that are almost always annoying to their peers in some way.  I've mentioned a few of these in the earlier post.  They spray about everything they do, often living beyond their means in an orgy of materialism (top of the line gear for every activity they fancy for more than 5 seconds,) and are normally very sensitive to topics surrounding this very subject because they are self-aware.  The dregs of this group behave basically the same, but are not self-aware.

E. People who engage in reproduction of some sort, thus satisfying the biological drive we can't escape as animals, but aren't stoked.  This is most of us.  The grass is always greener, the trips and activities we really want to be doing are replaced by obligatory soccer matches or recitals.  The relationship with the partner is often strained, as nurturing those old long-lost activities between kid-crap ends up taking priority over romance.  
curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274
Tim Lutz wrote:

not having kids is the simplest way to significantly lower your carbon footprint and therefore make peoples's lives better

that's the saddest thing i've heard...

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Tim Lutz wrote:
not having kids is the simplest way to significantly lower your carbon footprint and therefore make peoples's lives better

curt86iroc wrote: 

that's the saddest thing i've heard...

Yet intrinsically true.

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274
Marc801 C wrote:

Yet intrinsically true.

perhaps yes... im just glad my parents didnt think that way...

caughtinside wrote:

The trumpies display a far more degenerate world view daily. 

When can we get rid of cars? They kill so many people in the US than guns kill we really need to get rid of them. At least most of the deaths from guns are just suicides If you look at the deaths per 100k and remove the suicides where people wanted to die and they hurt noone else you are probably alot safer with guns and banning cars.

Car Deaths
2000-2006 - held around 14.5 per 100k
2006-2012 - dropped down to 10-11 per 100k
2016 - 11.59 deaths per 100k

Gun Deaths
2000-2012 - held around 10.2 per 100k
2016 - 11.8 deaths per 100k (gone up lately likely due to the media coverage encouraging other people with mental problems)

A gun in the hands of a sane person is safer than the car in the hands of a sane person.

BTW just in case someone wants to bring it up there is around 1 car and 1 gun for 90% of the population so you can't say there are more cars than guns in the country or something like that.
Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

How does Viperscale exist?

It's easy to write him/her off as just a troll, but the trouble is - there are actually a couple/three posters out there that are LEGIT like this dude in all sincerity.

lol

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75
Tim Lutz wrote:

know what is even sadder?  competition for limited resources that leaves most of the world living in poverty and increasing water, food shortages and climate change.

Preach! 

Tim Lutz wrote:

know what is even sadder?  competition for limited resources and climate change that leaves most of the world living in poverty and increasing water, food shortages

Don't worry CA is getting rid of plastic straws the world is saved!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Grown Men Who Live in Vans: Lonesome or Loathsome?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started