Mountain Project Logo

Labor Day Symmetry Spire Equipment

Original Post
Joe J · · New England · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

It's my first attempt climbing anything in the Tetons, and thinking about attacking the Durrance Ridge over Labor day weekend. Do you think I will have to invest in ice spikes in order to (safely) downclimb the Symmetry Couloir? I read that, late in the season, the ice isn't too bad, so I'm thinking we should be good... but it would be great to have more up-to-date information from anyone in the area!

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

you need inside info on what it looks like back there. You can see the approach pretty good but not the decent. if the the approach looks like totally casual with out having to get on snow the baqck gully should be fine as well but hard telling not knowing????   It was a huge snow year so perhaps things are not melted out as much as usual????

CTdave · · Victor, Id. · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 221

You will probably get more up to date info but I climbed the SW ridge on the 4th of July and the south west couloir was totally melted out.  We used an ice axe and crampons in the symmetry couloir but even that was mostly melted out as well.  My guess is almost two months later of HOT weather you should be good to go without the snow or ice gear.  Like Nick said you can see the Symmetry couloir from the road, I doubt youll see snow in it though.  I'll be on that side today and will try to update tonight on what i can see from the road.

Joe J · · New England · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

I appreciate the replies! thanks guys <3 

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

Ask the rangers at Jenny Lake.

CTdave · · Victor, Id. · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 221

i looked at the symmetry couloir from jenny lake yesterday, theres a small patch of snow below templetons crack that appears to be avoidable.  Id say dont worry about the snow stuff

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

I'd suggest, rather than an "attack" (ha ha) on anything, to maybe try the shorter SW ridge with an early start and a more humble approach.  Its a much shorter route with pretty straightforward route finding (and still a classic).

Shuttle across the lake can save some approach mileage.  7am boat would be a nice, early enough start.

Not usual to need snow gear late in the climbing season.

From the climbing rangers blog:

August 4, 2018
Approach and descent of Symmetry Spire are dry.  Ice axe not needed.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Labor Day Symmetry Spire Equipment"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started