Mountain Project Logo

Cathedral Ledge Lower Left Wall - "Nobody raps here!"

Rob Rogowicz · · Danville, NH · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 115

Whoa, that took a weird turn. 

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

This is ridiculous. It's not an issue whatsoever to wrap from where the person was rapping from. There's always wrap rings from that tree, and it's very safe and courteous to do so. End of story.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
Russ Keane wrote: This is ridiculous. It's not an issue whatsoever to wrap from where the person was rapping from. There's always wrap rings from that tree, and it's very safe and courteous to do so. End of story.

I guess that about wraps up the rapping saga.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

I am also not a real local (3 hr drive)  but have been there a fair bit over the years  and rapping in that area is a non issue. As always it generaly takes both partys to have a total internet meltdown.   Party A. if you are falling your way up Bombardment you might want to take whatever ridicule comes your way and call it a day with out drawing any more attention than is absolutely nessicary.   Sounds like party B might try minding their own business and Please spare us the gender card BS.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

I had a female guide give me unsolicited advice today on where to walk as her and the customers stood in the middle of the trail. I'm still alive even though I had to walk around them.

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Fort Collins, CO / Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

I’ve learned one thing from this thread: never climb at Cathedral on a Saturday. The New England weekend climbing scene is super aggro 

DGoguen · · Conway NH · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Nick Goldsmith wrote: I am also not a real local (3 hr drive)  but have been there a fair bit over the years  and rapping in that area is a non issue. As always it generaly takes both partys to have a total internet meltdown.   Party A. if you are falling your way up Bombardment you might want to take whatever ridicule comes your way and call it a day with out drawing any more attention than is absolutely nessicary.   Sounds like party B might try minding their own business and Please spare us the gender card BS.

Nailed it.

The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.
Nice. 
Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

Walk off any MYOB - that will never fly - no fodder for MP

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

the walk off from that section of the cliff is certainly not obvious, I have been in there perhaps 20 times and would not know how to walk off.  granted most of the time I have continued up book Of Solemity or Black lung but keep in mind that a party has the right to bail any time, any place. sounds like these guys needed to go down. 

Mike Morin · · Glen, NH · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,355
Jimmy Downhillinthesnow wrote: I’ve learned one thing from this thread: never climb at Cathedral on a Saturday. The New England weekend climbing scene is super aggro 

That's what's crazy about this whole kerfuffle. Cathedral isn't busy by any modern standard of what a crowded crag looks like. There's a weird regional myth that Cathedral is a crowded place on weekends, when there is a very good chance that the three parties that had interaction around Bombardment represent 50% of the climbers that visited that zone that day, and that's being generous, it's just as likely that we're hearing from every climber that climbed and rapped in that zone that day. On top of that this whole series of negative interactions is an incredibly poor representation of a day at Cathedral. I've never experienced anything like what's been laid out in this thread.

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Fort Collins, CO / Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10

Mike, I agree that the scene at Cathedral outside Thin Air is usually fairly mellow. I’ve actually never had a bad interaction with another climber there—unlike over at Rumney, where manners can get real strange when it’s invaded by half the gym climbers in New York City. But times they are a’changin at every crag. 

Chris W · · Burlington, VT · Joined May 2015 · Points: 233
Jimmy Downhillinthesnow wrote: Mike, I agree that the scene at Cathedral outside Thin Air is usually fairly mellow. I’ve actually never had a bad interaction with another climber there—unlike over at Rumney, where manners can get real strange when it’s invaded by half the gym climbers in New York City. But times they are a’changin at every crag. 

And all of the gym climbers from Boston.

However, as Yogi Berra once said: "Nobody Goes [To Cathedral] Anymore, It’s Too Crowded".
lukeweiss · · St. Johnsbury, VT · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 30

"Only after a lot of that, while my partner worked out the delicate face moves below you, I figured we might have to change our plans in order to escape the bowling alley effect.  I asked in a friendly and concerned tone (to match how I felt towards you at the time) “Are you guys ok?”  and you replied, all smiles “Yes, it’s just taking a while.”  I asked: “A new leader?” and you said “Yes, this is his first trad lead.”  (In the meantime, it blossomed into an “onsight”).  I answered “Ok, good luck.  Just let us know if you want to go down, we’ll wait.” You said “No, we’re fine.” to which I replied “No worries, take your time.”   I smiled politely through all of this.  If THAT made you feel inadequate, what can I say….  You clearly felt inadequate before I opened my mouth, while your partner kept falling and fumbling with gear.  But maybe you also felt inadequate because you also dropped a sunglass case directly on us at some point.  You yelled rock, thankfully, so my partner dodged it in the last moment, and it bounced past me. You said “I guess I should have clipped it to something” and asked us if we saw where it went and we gave you the location as best we could.   Pretty pathetic of you to write this nasty post, omitting some embarrassing detail,  after all the friendly and supportive communication you received from me…"

this is so full of fabrication, I don't even know where to start. I am sitting here dumbfounded. Particularly that "new leader" "first trad lead" stuff. Total nonsense. Brent has climbed with me before, a few times. He knows that was not my first trad lead. It was my first real 5.8.

There is little in your paragraph that is not wildly twisted and re-imagined. I am dismayed at your sense of reality.

Here is my response: I did not feel inadequate. I felt distracted, at a time when focus was both required and difficult. Your tone was there and is here condescending, pedantic, and unleashed from reality (did you really think rock was going to come down on you from bombardment?).

I hope you can find more kindness and joy in your climbing experiences. 

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
lukeweiss wrote: "Only after a lot of that, while my partner worked out the delicate face moves below you, I figured we might have to change our plans in order to escape the bowling alley effect.  I asked in a friendly and concerned tone (to match how I felt towards you at the time) “Are you guys ok?”  and you replied, all smiles “Yes, it’s just taking a while.”  I asked: “A new leader?” and you said “Yes, this is his first trad lead.”  (In the meantime, it blossomed into an “onsight”).  I answered “Ok, good luck.  Just let us know if you want to go down, we’ll wait.” You said “No, we’re fine.” to which I replied “No worries, take your time.”   I smiled politely through all of this.  If THAT made you feel inadequate, what can I say….  You clearly felt inadequate before I opened my mouth, while your partner kept falling and fumbling with gear.  But maybe you also felt inadequate because you also dropped a sunglass case directly on us at some point.  You yelled rock, thankfully, so my partner dodged it in the last moment, and it bounced past me. You said “I guess I should have clipped it to something” and asked us if we saw where it went and we gave you the location as best we could.   Pretty pathetic of you to write this nasty post, omitting some embarrassing detail,  after all the friendly and supportive communication you received from me…"

this is so full of fabrication, I don't even know where to start. I am sitting here dumbfounded. Particularly that "new leader" "first trad lead" stuff. Total nonsense. Brent has climbed with me before, a few times. He knows that was not my first trad lead. It was my first real 5.8.

There is little in your paragraph that is not wildly twisted and re-imagined. I am dismayed at your sense of reality.

Here is my response: I did not feel inadequate. I felt distracted, at a time when focus was both required and difficult. Your tone was there and is here condescending, pedantic, and unleashed from reality (did you really think rock was going to come down on you from bombardment?).

I hope you can find more kindness and joy in your climbing experiences. 

Lol

losbill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 130
DGoguen wrote:

Nailed it.

The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.
Nice. 

Dave what has come over you? What has New Hampshire done to you?  As The Rudy has instructed us, "The truth is not the truth".  Thus, I think but I am not at all sure, there can be no middle of there is no truth.  Or truths.  Don't you need two truths for a middle?  But isn't the truth singular? I am so confused.  Feeling at bit existentialist thinking about the entire thing.  Sort of like hives after a wasp sting.  

BTW not concerned at all of "derailing" this thread with political BS.  It has been a POS from the beginning.  I am embarrassed at having followed its ridiculous twists and turns from the very ridiculous beginning.  Could certainly by a guilty pleasure but I have not taken any pleasure in it.  But they say confession is good for the soul.  Perhaps it is the first step towards recovery for me.  

But to be to be honest I don't think I have read more than one or two sentences of any of the posts.  Except for Tiff's.  Not sure what evoked her post but for her to do so there must have been a real A-hole on the other end.

BTW.  Eric.  Walk off?  What is wrong with you?!?!? Last time I tried that I ended up at the hotel having cocktails.   I got cocked. It got late.   Had to bivy in the woods on the walk back to the car.  A real epic. Rap, Brother, Rap.  

I think I need therapy.  In the meantime I am going for another glass of wine.
samuel von hammerstien · · North Conway, NH · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 423
wonderwoman wrote:

It is nice of you to offer to bury the hatchet & meet this person.  In all honesty, please reflect on the last time a male climber made you ‘feel inadequate’, because those are the words that jumped out at me.  I have never heard a man say that he was made to feel inadequate from another male, but I have heard plenty of men use those words when encountering competent women.

You say perception is part of the problem, and you are right - which is why I am asking you to reflect on your choice of wording.  When I read ‘made to feel inadequate’ my perception was that you felt a little intimidated by a strong woman.  
In my 44 years on this planet, I have a feeling that I have inadvertently made several men (but probably no women) feel inadequate just by being myself.  At the very least, I have been labeled as ‘difficult’.

Just asking you to please reflect on this. I do hope you all had an awesome day at Cathedral, in spite of all this very minor drama.  You all went home safe with a full day of climbing.  Does life get any better?

HA! I have one for you.  I fell off a route and my buddy(Male) walking by said "huh, I thought you would be doing better than that."  Took the wind right out of my sails.

Aunt Patty · · Fryeburg, ME · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 116

^ Had the parties been switched this would have been man-splaining...

There are 3 sides to every story I have been told. Your side, their side, and the truth.

I have no idea why I am compelled to post in this thread, but the keyboard gets itchy every time I see it updated.

Erik Howes · · Conway, NH · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 15

I just read through this entire thread... It was incredibly entertaining. Think I might even give up Instagram/facebook and switch to MP for my entertainment!! But after reading this story I am left with just one question... Who is "M Fr" ??? Soloing... Long winded rants... Women equality... Twisting up stories... Could it be... No..? Could it..? VESNA?!

june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 110

Isnt   that horse dead yet?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Erik Howes wrote: I just read through this entire thread... It was incredibly entertaining. Think I might even give up Instagram/facebook and switch to MP for my entertainment!! But after reading this story I am left with just one question... Who is "M Fr" ??? Soloing... Long winded rants... Women equality... Twisting up stories... Could it be... No..? Could it..? VESNA?!

What the hell are you talking about?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Cathedral Ledge Lower Left Wall - "Nobody raps…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.