Mountain Project Logo

Canyoneering Rope Bags - worth it?

Original Post
Alex Temus · · Lehi, UT · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 362

I've done around 2 dozen canyons, typically with my friends' ropes, but I bought a 200ft rope about 6 months back and also bought a rope bag with it. I think the rope bag is fantastic - quicker/easier to stuff and throw than coil and untie.

I absolutely think that the rope bag is worth every penny for the longer ropes (200ft and up), and I think it would be a complete waste of money for something shorter (like 50-60 ft where tangles aren't really a thing).

My question though, is at what point do you find it worthwhile to use a bag or just coil the rope? I'm buying a 120ft rope sometime this week and i'm trying to decide if I should get the rope bag as well.

Thoughts?

awimmer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

My 120 has it's own rope bag (small BlueWater). My 80 does not. I think anything more than 80 I'd want a bag, YMMV. 

EJN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 248

For wet canyons rope bags are awesome. Canyon rope bags float, ropes don't. Also makes it easier to only use part of the rope.

Imlay and Canyonwerks/Bluewater are the best IMO.

Royal · · Santa Rosa, CA · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 410

Yes. I've done canyons with and without. With bags is far nicer. Especially wet canyons.

Zach Raney · · Moab · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Tons of wet raps its a need!

Ryan Marsters · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 1,431

I prefer no bag on extended athletic or squeeze canyons and bags for all else, especially class B or C (wet). There are pretty efficient techniques for stowing the rope and rigging using a bag such that it's much faster than coiling.

Zach Raney · · Moab · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Buy imlay canyon gear and show tom and the crew some love. Priced well and solid

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Canyoneering Rope Bags - worth it?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started