Mountain Project Logo

Car bivy near Tetons?

Original Post
ben climbski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 0

Anyone have any beta on good places to bivy in a vehicle near (north of) the Tetons?  Your helpful responses are much appreciated.

John Roark · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I’ve posted up along hwy 26 it’s been a while so I don’t recall exactly where but n of 26 is Bridger Teton natl Forest so you should be good most places but it’s a little bit from the park. I’m sure locals would have better beta. The parking lot for Garnett is seemingly ok for a few days. The road into death canyon is surprisingly rough, I have a shitty Volvo, but there would be ok for a few days too. 

Eric Fjellanger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 870

Shadow Mountain, northeast of the park, has a lot of great spots. Last I checked stays here were limited to 3 days due to high traffic.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Get a decent map and look for forest service roads near the park.  not all forest service roads allow camping. don't try a new spot after dark as it sucks driving a bunch late in the day and getting skunked. get your spot early and you will be more relaxed and ready for that alpine start.

Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 86

It's 2018 and the age of van living...they already know. They either don't have the resources/time to check all of the cars or it's not a problem for them. Im sure that they would rather have a tired climber sleep a few hours in the parking lot than get into a collision with an elk trying to drive somewhere else anyway.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Gabe. never give specific dispersed camping info in the clear. PM the info.  Its an over used resorce.   additionaly just because you are complacent and think everyone does it does not mean the rangers are not going to come down on you or someone else. . witnessed several instances of stepped up enforcement this summer in places that formerly been thought of as kosher. . 

Dan B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 10
Brian in SLC wrote:

Great....now the NPS knows and will check folks' vehicles there.

Not so discreet when you openly post about it.

yeah, it's never crossed their minds that climbers bivy in cars.

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

It's east, not north, but the Gros Ventre Road has tons of legal dispersed camping available.

And I agree with the advice to not publicize ways you can get around park regulations. Rangers do read these sites.

Nick Goldsmith wrote: Gabe. never give specific dispersed camping info in the clear. PM the info.  Its an over used resorce.   additionaly just because you are complacent and think everyone does it does not mean the rangers are not going to come down on you or someone else. . witnessed several instances of stepped up enforcement this summer in places that formerly been thought of as kosher. . 

Im definitely not complacent, but i'll be more discreet for you all in the future. Im just saying that the rangers are not idiots and most of them are climbers like ourselves who have likely slept in their car at one point or another. Everyone rolls the dice when camping somewhere you shouldn't be. I apologize for posting.

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112308003/sleeping-in-car-at-trailheads

Much more detailed information about where it is legal to sleep. Don't sleep at trailheads.
Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270

Last time i was out there, picking up my climbing permit, we asked the ranger's in the station where we could camp after descending the grand, and they were super helpful. It was high tourist season, so all the front country stuff was packed, they showed us on a map severa BLM places for alternative camping, Shadow Mountain was one name I recall.  

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Brian in SLC wrote:

Great....now the NPS knows and will check folks' vehicles there.

Not so discreet when you openly post about it.

Erm, since Gabe took down his specific post, perhaps edit out the quote in yours? (Even though the NPS has checked that location for years)

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
Marc801 C wrote:

Erm, since Gabe took down his specific post, perhaps edit out the quote in yours? (Even though the NPS has checked that location for years)

Now you can edit yours...ha ha.

I know folks "get away with it".  That doesn't make it right or something we should offer up in a public forum.  Tons of public land just outside the national park.  As mentioned above.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Brian in SLC wrote:

Now you can edit yours...ha ha.

If someone is able to figure out the location from my post, we should all bow to their superior Jedi / ninja map skills. 

I know folks "get away with it".  That doesn't make it right or something we should offer up in a public forum.

Exactly. 
coldfinger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 55

Gee guys as for Lupine.......

Its not much of a mystery to the Rangers seeing as they live right across the meadow.

Any dumbass knows what a Sprinter van means nowadays!

So nobody is getting away with anything, just keep it cool.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Car bivy near Tetons?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started