Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Holds for Deployed Soldiers

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Andy W · · Ft Collins · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 41
Matt B wrote: Boulder Rock Club is selling a bunch of older holds for cheap right now. They might be willing to donate some for a good cause. It might be worth sending them an email as well. Best of luck guys! I hope you get some sweet holds to them!

Thanks Matt. Since you're local would you be able to reach out to them to inquire?

Matt B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 472
Andy W wrote:

Thanks Matt. Since you're local would you be able to reach out to them to inquire?

Sure thing! I’ll ask next time I’m in. Should be tomorrow or Friday. 

Lee Harris · · Cleveland, TN · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 30

Bump! Nice work folks.

S/F

Matt B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 472

Looks like all of the small, shippable holds sold before I got there. Sorry guys!

Anna Ferntheil · · ANCHORAGE · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 13

man, I just got rid of a few holds....

Whomever is doing the shipping, PM me... I'll donate some to shipping costs. Or when a gofundme shows up!

Pine Sap · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 7,190
Anna Ferntheil wrote: man, I just got rid of a few holds....

Whomever is doing the shipping, PM me... I'll donate some to shipping costs. Or when a gofundme shows up!

Same Here - N

Matt B - thanks for checking!

Anna and Pine - pms coming

bump for a good cause. Thank you to Pine Sap and Anna (plus the 3 other previously mentioned) for contributing! We have funds for all the bolts and tnuts needed, but holds ain't cheap so there's still opportunity to pitch in if interested.

Nate J · · Nashua, NH · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 5
Andy W wrote: bump for a good cause. Thank you to Pine Sap and Anna (plus the 3 other previously mentioned) for contributing! We have funds for all the bolts and tnuts needed, but holds ain't cheap so there's still opportunity to pitch in if interested.

PM me please! I'll chip in too.

Bill B · · New Hampshire · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 220

Count me in, I'll throw in a few bucks towards shipping.

Nate J and Bill B - pms coming

Justin Sanford · · Broadalbin, New York · Joined May 2009 · Points: 555

Okay...so I have been in contact with the OP (Andrew) and have offered to pull together some climbing holds that I no longer use.  Below is what I came up with to send overseas to our military brothers and sisters who wish to experiment with rock climbing.  Here is an approximate breakdown:

• (6) rolls of route tape
  • (80) Hand holds
  • (30) Foot Holds (bolt on)
  • (90) Foot Holds (screw on)
These all fit into (2) of USPS's largest flat rate boxes.  My local post office informed me that a large flat rate box to an APO address would be $17.40/each box.  Anyone interested in chipping in on the total shipping?  Just under $36 total to ship them all.

Also, does anyone know for sure that these guys can receive used climbing holds at a military base?  I would hate to see the packages get denied delivery.

Looking forward to meeting some people interested in helping me ship these out.  Thanks in advance!

Justin

Pine Sap · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 7,190
Quoting  Justin Sanford - "Also, does anyone know for sure that these guys can receive used climbing holds at a military base?  I would hate to see the packages get denied delivery."

At the gate they will probably want to check and see if any of the holds are "bomber".
Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625
Pine Sap wrote: Also, does anyone know for sure that these guys can receive used climbing holds at a military base?  I would hate to see the packages get denied delivery.

At the gate they will probably want to check and see if any of the holds are "bomber".

This.

Once you find out this is copacetic, i'm in for some postage help.
Justin Sanford wrote: Okay...so I have been in contact with the OP (Andrew) and have offered to pull together some climbing holds that I no longer use.  Below is what I came up with to send overseas to our military brothers and sisters who wish to experiment with rock climbing.  Here is an approximate breakdown:

These all fit into (2) of USPS's largest flat rate boxes.  My local post office informed me that a large flat rate box to an APO address would be $17.40/each box.  Anyone interested in chipping in on the total shipping?  Just under $36 total to ship them all.

Also, does anyone know for sure that these guys can receive used climbing holds at a military base?  I would hate to see the packages get denied delivery.

Justin - nice work on getting a great selection of holds together! I've been collecting donations thru this thread to cover shipping costs on a few holds I'm also donating, and that has turned into enough to get all the tnuts and bolts they will need as well. I think the remaining funds would go to greater use helping cover your shipping costs, so let's join forces! PM coming regarding coordinating this.

I echo your concern regarding receiving used holds. Andrew has cleared building the woody with the base's commander, so I would assume (but we should check) the base will have no issue receiving them. However it's very unclear what Iraq's Custom's restrictions are and I haven't had much time to research it, but I know certain countries are strict regarding used goods. It would be great if anyone with experience shipping to overseas service members could help enlighten us.
alpine murse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 95

Hey everyone,

Thanks again for all the help, I feel honored and so humble that ya'll are willing to help some you guys and gals climb. I checked again with several sources including the company commander and first sergeant and there should be no issues getting holds into country. Make sure to state for customs "climbing holds for MWR". Thank you all for your generous support!

Just shipped two very full large flat rate boxes each weighing 20+ pounds and in total containing over 100 holds, 60 bolts, and 300 tnuts!

A big thank you to Justice H, walmongr, Ryan O, Anna F, Nate J, & Pine Sap for contributing the funds for shipping, bolts, and tnuts. And a huge thank you to Tension Climbing for donating a bunch of their beautiful wood holds. Please check out Tension at www.tensionclimbing.com.

alpine murse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 95

Thank you all SO MUCH! I broke the news to my soldiers and they are all super stoked to get some climbing in. I know the Swedish and Spanish are also very excited. Stay safe and I owe you all a beer when I get back from deployment.

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

Glad they made it!! Hope all deployed make it home safe and can enjoy the Rocks and mountains they are defending!!

Jim Urbec · · Sevierville, TN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 56
Andy W wrote: 

In regards to shipping, does anyone have experience sending things to military in Iraq? I saw on another mp post, regarding sending a rope to a guy in Pakistan, that customs wouldn't allow used goods to be sent. Maybe that's country specific or due to not being military. Just want to make sure sending used holds is going to be ok.

did 25 yrs in the Army, lots of time in Afghanistan, and was on both sides of shipping and receiving equation for a few million in equipment.  I've not ever heard customs not allowing used rope or goods. 

cheapest bet would be to try and coordinate for holds to get delivered to Ft Carson, especially if there are additional mil-air flights that the unit has headed into theater.  then holds could be packaged up into an ISU-90 or palletized.  sending via USPS flat rate box could work but only if using the APO system.  DHL also an option but very $$$$.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started