Mountain Project Logo

Singing Rock- Rock and lock buckels. Are this buckels SAFE?

Original Post
Manuel Vanegas · · Chicago · Joined May 2012 · Points: 5

Hello there,

I'm looking to the Singing rock Dome harness, it has some good features but I'm a little concern about the buckles. I looks to me that this can get unattached when there is no weight on the harness.

Any though about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXPGPDzmQ7g

http://www.singingrock.com/dome?cat=2099

Robert Rowsam · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 230

I have the dome harness and love it for aiding, never had any issues with the buckles. Functions just like any other speed type buckle 

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

I have a Singing Rock with the buckles.  First time I looked at the harness (online purchase) I was really apprehensive, but I am going to trust the engineering and testing that goes into certifying the gear.  I don't need the feature, the harness was just a good deal for what I wanted.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

If you look at the way forces are distributed in a buckle the force on that open arm are really low. It really is a compression force on the cross piece, not a pull on the arm that makes the buckle work.

Manuel Vanegas · · Chicago · Joined May 2012 · Points: 5

Thanks for the information guys, I will give it a try.

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674

Misty Mountain Caddilac Made in the USA by Americans, no Chinese gear for me. Going cheap may not be the best way to go. PS Singing Rock Rear loop is not full strength 50kg.

PW Zenpw · · Židlochovice · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 10
Jeffrey Constine wrote: Misty Mountain Caddilac Made in the USA by Americans, no Chinese gear for me. Going cheap may not be the best way to go. PS Singing Rock Rear loop is not full strength 50kg.

The harness is made in Czech Republic and is Certified in EU -> safe to use.

A lot of these are in use in Czech Republic, never heard of anyone having any issues.
Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674

then it must be ok because they make really nice guns and rifles. I own a few.

Lin Robinson · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15

I personally love 50kg on my ass.

PW Zenpw · · Židlochovice · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 10
Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205
Jeffrey Constine wrote: Misty Mountain Caddilac Made in the USA by Americans, no Chinese gear for me. Going cheap may not be the best way to go. PS Singing Rock Rear loop is not full strength 50kg.

Yeah, which is exactly how Caldwell dislocated his sacrum. Would have been much worse if his haul loop was full strength. As stated before, Singing Rock is a Czech, not Chinese company, and Czech Rep is part of the EU, subject to all of their regulatory and certification requirements. 

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194
Julian H wrote: I had two singing rock harnesses fo far and both were really good and comfortable. I lost one 10 years ago and the one I currently have, Guru, has seen plenty of action in the last 5 years. The buckels are fine and safe, made about of steel tart makes them less bulky than aluminum. They work better if you ice climb and you have to put on the and take off  harness over crampons. For rock climbing the buckles are flat but other than that I don’t see any advantage. A lot of times I forget they are different. 
I have a hard time to find harnesses that fit me and are not bulky. I have a narrow waist and bigger legs compared to the waist so, I have to buy harnesses that have adjustable leg loops. 

I don't go out in harnesses in snow, but my reaction to seeing the buckles is that they would be perfect for ski mountaneering.  You can put the harness on without ever taking your foot off the ground.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Singing Rock- Rock and lock buckels. Are this b…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started