Mountain Project Logo

Mickey's Beach Tides

Original Post
Mike Ferrell · · Boston, MA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20

Anyone familiar with when the climbs on the main rock are accessible/inaccessible?

I'm looking at the tide charts and unsure if this means that things will be climbable Saturday AM, or really when they will become inaccessible: surf-forecast.com/breaks/St…

ZachP · · Southern NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 29

It depends which routes you're talking about. Courtney, Nancy and Squid Vicious are really only climbable at low tide (<1.5 ft). Hot Tuna, Megalodon, Scorpio Rising, etc start from a large boulder, so you can usually stay dry on those for a little longer (tide + swell <2.5 ft), whereas Mutiny, Gidget and Motion in the Ocean are somewhere in between. Climbs on the north side of Main Rock are not affected by tides.

Note that it also depends on surf, though. Larger waves mean more spray (damp holds) and increase the chances your belayer will get wet. On a calm day, I've able to belay my partner on Moby Dick with tides up to 3 ft without getting wet.

Leo Franchi · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 15

Climbs on the south side (i.e. sex porpoises) is also not really affected by the tide.

Mike Ferrell · · Boston, MA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20

Thanks for the tips. Trying to get on Hot Tuna this weekend, so maybe I can get a couple of attempts in. Let's hope the swell isn't too bad

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Mickey's Beach Tides"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started