Mountain Project Logo

Mountaineering Destinations (Beginners)

Original Post
O’Shay Kramer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

I know this topic has been done to the death, but I’m looking for some rather specific advice. I wanted to know if any good beginner mountaineering destinations with a variety of alpine routes. I have a decent foundation in rock climbing now (lead trad 5.10), but absolutely no experience in ice or snow.

The goal for me when I started climbing was to become an alpinist, and I just haven’t had the opportunity to do anything of that nature. I’m from Florida (living in Maryland currently), so not exactly ideal locations. I’m a student on a budget, but I’m taking a break from school and have about $8,500 for this trip + alpine gear. I’ve got a trad rack but really don’t know anyone else who does alpine climbing so I’m not sure where to start. I’m a pretty decent photographer so maybe I could trade some pics of people sending for some mentor ship? I have no idea.

Just to clarify when I say mountaineering, I mean more climbing in an alpine style (light and fast).

If you were in my shoes and had $8,500 for the trip, were completely new and didn’t know anybody, where would you go? I’m open to international suggestions as well. 

Kip Kasper · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 200

Don't spend all that in one place! Check out the North Cascades, Washington (State). Anywhere else in the lower 48 isn't really true alpine terrain.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

How long do you have, and what time of year? These are both important considerations. 

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

Canadian Rockies.

JCM wrote: How long do you have, and what time of year? These are both important considerations. 

I’m taking a year off of school, so I’m quitting my Maryland job in September and then have until next September. So I can really go any time.

I was thinking easy(ish) approaches might be better so if I need to bail on a climb it’s easier, plus I’m assuming it’d be cheaper. Been up in the Alaska range, but that was for work doing some whitewater stuff. 
I was looking at Charmonix, mostly because there are always a lot of other climbers looking for partners. 
Getoutside · · Golden, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0
O’Shay Kramer wrote:
I was looking at Charmonix, mostly because there are always a lot of other climbers looking for partners. 

If you can afford Chamonix, you must go to Chamonix. Period. 

Mark R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Definitely don't blow it all on one trip, you can do a lot with that much $$.

When you say alpinist, light and fast mountaineering, etc... what are some of your actual mid to long-term goals? There are 22,000ft peaks that you can climb light and fast without needing any technical skill beyond using a mountain axe and crampons to snow slog.

I'd start assessing your fitness level and working to ramp up so you can make the most of wherever you go. Uphillathlete.com has training plans and I believe there's a 2-3mo plan for time crunched mountaineers.

Chamonix can't be beat for quick alpine access and technical climbing. Lots of people start out on the Ecuadorian volcanoes (Chimborazo, etc...). Orizaba in Mexico can be a cheap trip to get some altitude (flights frequently <$300 RT). You can camp in the Ruth gorge. The PNW has a bit of everything, you can start with slogging up Adams then work up to Rainier, Hood, Baker, Shuksan, etc... The Canadian Rockies around banff/lake louise are stacked with accessible training routes. Ice season will be here soonish then cragging will be a good way to build skills. Much of your planning will also depend on finding partners.

A basic mountaineering course will cover roped glacier travel, mountain axe use, crampon use, etc... You have enough money saved that you could also do a wilderness first aid course and an AIARE 1 course for decision-making and routefinding in avalanche terrain.

If you find yourself in the NE this fall/winter, Adirondack Mountain Guides ( http://adirondackmountainguides.com ) has really cheap full-day rates, they also have rental gear, and Ian is a real life hardman. Tell him your goals and the skills you want to work on then he'll know places to go and practice.

Climbing festivals can be a fun way to get started because you can take clinics, watch presentations and get stoked, demo gear to see what you like, and meet people to climb in the area afterwards. You can show up almost empty handed then get kitted out in top of the line gear to go learn and meet people.

http://bozemanicefest.com/
https://www.mountaineer.com/mountainfest/
http://valdezadventurealliance.com/ice-fest/
http://www.mwv-icefest.com/
http://www.smuggsicebash.com/
http://ourayicepark.com/ouray-ice-festival/
http://chamonix.arcteryxacademy.com/clinics

If you draw a 3-circle venn diagram with Motivation, Fitness, and Technical Skill, alpinism is going to be the middle where they all overlap. Make sure to nurture all three.

FosterK · · Edmonton, AB · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 67

Canada - the Rockies and the Bugs - with the current exchange rate, could go pretty far in terms of living and expenses. The close access a lot of easy, moderate, and difficult glaciated alpine routes is hard to surpass - there's not Cham style gondola to the top though.

Eliot Augusto · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 60
s.price wrote:

This is the best post on MP in a long time. Very cool Mark.

I started in Ecuador. Mostly because I had family there. Great place to get some basics. Awesome country.

Contrary to the North Cascades statement earlier there are plenty of places in the U.S. to dial in your "light and fast".

21 miles from my house is a 3,000 ft mixed route that will test all of your skills. And I live in SW Colorado.
2 mile approach on FS road.

Well...what route?

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10
Eliot Augusto wrote:

Well...what route?

Same, which route? Sounds fun

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Also you could gain quite a few skills just taking a week with a partner and going around the gannet/dinwoody cirque in the wind river range for cheap if you plan to end up in colorado, but with an opportunity like yours I would suggest Canada or the cascades, Cham if you can, but I cannot yet attest first-hand to that.

Eliot Augusto · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 60

That sounds like a blast!

Derek DeBruin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,039

Many cool places you could go. If the ultimate goal is technical alpine climbing, you certainly need to spend plenty of time in the mountains in general. But you'll also need lots of time cranking at the crag--that's where you build the technique and fitness to climb hard in the mountains. A big alpine route days from the car with dubious pro isn't the best place to learn how to climb hard ice or mixed. I'd be sure to factor that in.

David M · · Nashville, TN · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Briggs - Nothing wrong this advice, but obviously it's not for everybody. I can't blame someone for feeling like a single guided 2-4 week trip (or maybe a couple 1-2 week trips) is a good use of their money, as opposed to stretching it into months by doing things more in-line with the 'dirtbag' mantra.

Some of us need to maintain our jobs. Or have families. Hell, I really don't have to worry about either of those, and I still couldn't do it. Just too much of a psychological barrier...maybe someday...

Matt S · · Milwaukee, WI · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

I really screwed up going into engineering.  There's not enough time off to do fun stuff like this :(

Mark Ra wrote: Definitely don't blow it all on one trip, you can do a lot with that much $$.

When you say alpinist, light and fast mountaineering, etc... what are some of your actual mid to long-term goals? There are 22,000ft peaks that you can climb light and fast without needing any technical skill beyond using a mountain axe and crampons to snow slog.

I'd start assessing your fitness level and working to ramp up so you can make the most of wherever you go. Uphillathlete.com has training plans and I believe there's a 2-3mo plan for time crunched mountaineers.

Chamonix can't be beat for quick alpine access and technical climbing. Lots of people start out on the Ecuadorian volcanoes (Chimborazo, etc...). Orizaba in Mexico can be a cheap trip to get some altitude (flights frequently <$300 RT). You can camp in the Ruth gorge. The PNW has a bit of everything, you can start with slogging up Adams then work up to Rainier, Hood, Baker, Shuksan, etc... The Canadian Rockies around banff/lake louise are stacked with accessible training routes. Ice season will be here soonish then cragging will be a good way to build skills. Much of your planning will also depend on finding partners.

A basic mountaineering course will cover roped glacier travel, mountain axe use, crampon use, etc... You have enough money saved that you could also do a wilderness first aid course and an AIARE 1 course for decision-making and routefinding in avalanche terrain.

If you find yourself in the NE this fall/winter, Adirondack Mountain Guides ( http://adirondackmountainguides.com ) has really cheap full-day rates, they also have rental gear, and Ian is a real life hardman. Tell him your goals and the skills you want to work on then he'll know places to go and practice.

Climbing festivals can be a fun way to get started because you can take clinics, watch presentations and get stoked, demo gear to see what you like, and meet people to climb in the area afterwards. You can show up almost empty handed then get kitted out in top of the line gear to go learn and meet people.

http://bozemanicefest.com/
https://www.mountaineer.com/mountainfest/
http://valdezadventurealliance.com/ice-fest/
http://www.mwv-icefest.com/
http://www.smuggsicebash.com/
http://ourayicepark.com/ouray-ice-festival/
http://chamonix.arcteryxacademy.com/clinics

If you draw a 3-circle venn diagram with Motivation, Fitness, and Technical Skill, alpinism is going to be the middle where they all overlap. Make sure to nurture all three.

Wow! This is awesome. This is exactly the advice I was looking for. 

Some of my long term goals would be ascents of Cerro Torre, Moose's Tooth, and some ascents in the Karakoram. More interested in steep mixed climbing in alpine terrain than brutal uphill slogs (still want to do some of that too though). I think I'm going to wait until November, save more money, take an AIARE 1 course (already got WFR), and then head up to the Adirondack's to climb with a real life hardman haha. That way I can figure out what kind of gear I'll need before I buy any ice climbing/mountaineering equipment without having any ice experience whatsoever.

I think the AIARE 1 recommendation was some really key advice. Being safe in the mountains is probably the most important thing for me, and while everyone else had great post, they seemed to ignore the fact I had no experience in snow/ice.

The stoke is high and so is the fitness level! More training never hurt so I will definitely look into some of their fitness plans.
rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526
NateC · · Utah · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0
O’Shay Kramer wrote:

Wow! This is awesome. This is exactly the advice I was looking for. 

Some of my long term goals would be ascents of Cerro Torre, Moose's Tooth, and some ascents in the Karakoram. More interested in steep mixed climbing in alpine terrain than brutal uphill slogs (still want to do some of that too though). I think I'm going to wait until November, save more money, take an AIARE 1 course (already got WFR), and then head up to the Adirondack's to climb with a real life hardman haha. That way I can figure out what kind of gear I'll need before I buy any ice climbing/mountaineering equipment without having any ice experience whatsoever.

I think the AIARE 1 recommendation was some really key advice. Being safe in the mountains is probably the most important thing for me, and while everyone else had great post, they seemed to ignore the fact I had no experience in snow/ice.

The stoke is high and so is the fitness level! More training never hurt so I will definitely look into some of their fitness plans.

Here's my $.02 after being in this for 20 years and not accomplishing near what I'd hoped. Many of the keys to being an alpine climber are in the far less glamorous and more basic sides of climbing than people seem to admit.  Learning to move confidently, efficiently, and quickly on glaciers, 2nd and 3rd class terrain, steep snow and very mellow ice/neve are much more often the keys to success than being able to climb M9. 

The steep mixed climbing in alpine terrain generally doesn't go well unless you've done enough "steep uphill slogs." People with technical climbing backgrounds who lack mountaineering experience frequently make derisive statements about standard routes, but then are often the first to crumble in big mountains on the standard routes. The fitness and experience for big alpine objectives tends come from standard routes.

My suggestion for a path to you would be something like this:
1. Take a glacier travel and general mountaineering course. The PNW is great for this, or you can blow some of that hard earned cash and go to Europe but you'll learn pretty much the same thing. For what it's worth, I think learning NA style mountaineering lends itself a bit better to go to AK and the bigger ranges around the world that you desire. Anyone can jump off a tram and onto a glacier but immediate access doesn't generate the toughness and patience necessary to get in position for large remote climbs.

2. Do some alpine rock climbing. You seemingly already have the traditional climbing skills and rock experience. Take those rock skills and combine them with backpacking and "slogging" skills to go somewhere remote and climb a rock route within your ability. The Sierras, Tetons, Wind Rivers, or even the Bugaboos will allow you to test if you really want to do this without overly investing in the snow/ice gear and experience. It's not for everyone and many figure that out after dumping a lot of resources.

3. Learn to climb snow and ice. Technical snow climbing is part of the deal in alpinism and its way underrated. Snow doesn't protect easily, can be exhausting to climb, and can be quite scary.
It's easier to get access to ice climbing than snow climbing and ice climbing comes pretty naturally if you're already a decent rock climber.

4. Combine these skills on established but easier alpine objectives. Don't go jumping straight for the Alaska range like I did. It will humble and potentially scare you into thinking that this might not be for you. Chamonix has plentiful route options once you're at this stage. The Cascades really do have a lot to offer once you're here and they get overlooked by American climbers who don't live there. 
Nick Woodman · · Saco, ME · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 11
Matt S. wrote: I really screwed up going into engineering.  There's not enough time off to do fun stuff like this :(

but OTOH, you can afford all the coolest gear!....

Hello all, I am back again in need of some gear advice! Headed to the pacific NW in the spring and need some boot recommendations. I was looking at the Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX and La Sportiva Nepal Evo. Pretty solid all around boots from my research, but first hand experience would be appreciated. I’ll primarily be stomping around the cascades. Got an AIARE 1 course coming up as well. Any recommendations are appreciated for other shoes as well!

Blake Bolton · · Boise · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Fit is the most important thing first and foremost. I have the mont blanc pros and love them. Great on long approaches yet stiff enough for water ice. I've used them in the cascades in the summer and just got back from an ice trip in Chamonix with them. They're not too warm for summer in the cascades in my opinion.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Mountaineering Destinations (Beginners)"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started