Mountain Project Logo

Boulder Flatirons Raptor Closures Update

Original Post
Flatirons Climbing Council · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 57

Several updates on this front, most significant is that the closure of the Third Flatiron will be extended beyond July 31 due to late nesting of peregrine falcons.  Other closures will be lifted by the seasonal deadline.

OSMP anticipates lifting the following cliff-nesting raptor closures on or before August 1:

• Flagstaff Mountain, the north side of Flagstaff Mountain.
  • The Back Porch and The Box.
  • Fern Canyon, north of the Fern Canyon Trail, including the Nebel Horn Ridge, East Ridge, the Goose and the Goose Eggs.
  • Shadow Canyon, the Matron and The Wings. The Maiden remains open and accessible from the east.
  • The entire Mickey Mouse wall, including South Tower, North Tower, Central Tower, Ship's Prow, Wall of Shiva's Dance, The Gargoyle, the East Face and Cryptic Crags.
Regarding the Third Flatiron Open Space and Mountain Parks (OSMP) recently discovered that an injured female peregrine falcon on the Third Flatiron was displaced by another female – which led to a delayed but successful courtship cycle between the resident male peregrine falcon and the new female. While peregrine fledglings normally leave their nests in late July, OSMP anticipates that two peregrine falcon nestlings will need additional time to mature and is extending an existing wildlife closure to protect them from disturbance.

OSMP staff and volunteers will continue to monitor this nest and will lift the closure when the fledglings are able to leave the nest area. OSMP anticipates the Third Flatiron raptor closure could remain in place until Aug. 15.

OSMP recognizes this closure extension will impact climbers’ access to the Third Flatiron and encourages them to visitbit.ly/osmpclimbing for updates on when the closure will be lifted. Information on OSMP wildlife closures, which help to protect sensitive habitats, can be viewed atwww.osmpwildlifeclosures.org, or call the department at 303-441-3440

Information can also be reviewed on the Flatirons Climbing Council website

http://www.flatironsclimbing.org/closures/

This is a reminder that the Third Flatiron remains closed until August 15 as the peregrine fledglings are still in their nest.  Please observe the closure perimeters.

The remaining raptor closures in the Flatirons have been lifted as of today.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

Here's a bump.

I hope the closure is well signed.  I usually head up the 3rd the first week of August.  I am sure many others plan to as well.  It is a mere coincidence that I am seeing this post.

If anyone is hiking through the area please let us know if the Closure signs are inadequate.  

This particular nest is in a vulnerable location to anyone soloing and descending the normal route on the Third so it is important to stay away a couple more weeks.

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669

Here's the link to the map I use most often:

https://maps.bouldercolorado.gov/wildlife-closures/

Along with the closure on the Third, the trail to Bear Canyon is closed 'til November.

Aaaaand the First/Second trail is closed 8:00am-4:30pm, Mon-Thur.

The Bear Canyon closure is due to XCel Energy doing maintenance in the area. This is the second year that they are working in the area and it is a major disruption to climbing at Overhang Rock

ate · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0

Does the trail closure mean you can't do the regular descent back to your packs after climbing the First Flatiron?

Greg Miller · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 30

You’re allowed to descend the trail, just be courteous to the wonderful folks doing the trail work (did not envy them on the 90-100 degree days)

Flatirons Climbing Council wrote: The Bear Canyon closure is due to XCel Energy doing maintenance in the area. This is the second year that they are working in the area and it is a major disruption to climbing at Overhang Rock

It's kind of crazy that there seemed to have been no heads-up about this. I ran that trail on Monday evening and didn't see any signage at the Mesa/Bear Canyon junction.

I didn't see how good the signage is for the trail up the Third, but I spotted a few people on top of Jaws hoopin' and hollerin', so it may not be all that effective (none on the Third).
Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
Long Ranger wrote:

It's kind of crazy that there seemed to have been no heads-up about this. I ran that trail on Monday evening and didn't see any signage at the Mesa/Bear Canyon junction.

The City of Boulder/OSMP had had lots of communication and signage out for this starting last year. 

The line is being rebuilt as it was installed in 1913. 
Parker Wrozek wrote:

The City of Boulder/OSMP had had lots of communication and signage out for this starting last year. 

The line is being rebuilt as it was installed in 1913. 

Where? Cause I'm in the OSMP practically every other day or so. I also live with a trail crew member. 

No signs up anywhere in the area on Monday, when I ran Bear Canyon, either at the junction of Bear Canyon and Green Bear, or Bear Canyon and Mesa.

Press release was dated 7/31/18: https://bouldercolorado.gov/newsroom/xcel-transmission-line-replacement-work-will-lead-to-the-long-term-closure-of-the-bear-canyon-trail
Rui Ferreira · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 903

The XCel work has been ongoing all summer and there have been other trail closures due to their work, but the extent of the Bear Canyon closure was not even anticipated by OSMP.   The FCC and OSMP were planning to do some access trail work to Overhang Rock in October, which is now in jeopardy

FYI, South Mesa Trailhead and surrounding trails are closed as well. Note that it is not marked as such in the OSMP trail map that usually shows such things.

Long Ranger wrote:

Where? Cause I'm in the OSMP practically every other day or so. I also live with a trail crew member. 

No signs up anywhere in the area on Monday, when I ran Bear Canyon, either at the junction of Bear Canyon and Green Bear, or Bear Canyon and Mesa.

Press release was dated 7/31/18: https://bouldercolorado.gov/newsroom/xcel-transmission-line-replacement-work-will-lead-to-the-long-term-closure-of-the-bear-canyon-trail

There were several closures earlier this year on various trails as work was completed. I can talk with Larry and let him know people would like OSMP to put up more signage. 

Unfortunately the bear canyon trail goes basically under the line and to fly the structures and wire in you can't really have people around.
Rui Ferreira wrote: The XCel work has been ongoing all summer and there have been other trail closures due to their work, but the extent of the Bear Canyon closure was not even anticipated by OSMP.   The FCC and OSMP were planning to do some access trail work to Overhang Rock in October, which is now in jeopardy

I asked Larry to reach out to OSMP on the trail work and see what can be done to complete the trail work. 

I do understand closures are frustrating as we all want to climb and have to wait for birds to do that in places but it also means work couldn't be done on the line. So we all are jockeying for the same window from August 1 - it is snowing. I even got shut down on Mount Evans for a bike race a few weeks back...

Martin le Roux · · Superior, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 401
Parker Wrozek wrote:

I can talk with Larry and let him know people would like OSMP to put up more signage. 

It would also help if OSMP could do a better job of updating their website. The information that's currently posted is far too vague to be useful. As of today, here's what it says on https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/temporary-closures: "The NCAR-Bear Canyon Trail east of the Mesa Trail – along with a Mesa Trail section connecting the NCAR-Bear Canyon and Bear Canyon trails – may see periodic, daily closures through August while this work is underway... OSMP encourages open space visitors to regularly visit OSMPTrails.org to plan alternate routes around these upcoming closures... Temporary, intermittent closures will still occur on the Greenbrier Connector, Bluestem Connector, South Fork Shanahan, North Fork Shanahan and a Mesa connector trail in the area". How is one supposed to plan an alternate route on the basis of the basis of that information?

The map at OSMPTrails.org isn't any better; all it shows is the long-term closure of Bear Canyon and none of the intermittent closures mentioned above.

There is another forum thread to discuss the Bear Canyon trail closure

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/114800111/boulder-flatirons-bear-canyon-trail-closure

Back to topic is that the Third Flatiron is closed for nesting peregrines until August 15th

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

Is the third flatiron going to open tomorrow? I searched about via various links but could not find the official answer.  

I called  the given phone number after hours hoping for a recording of current status but no joy. I’ll try getting to a person later today unless this thread is updated.

Actually opened a couple days ago, have fun!

Edit: mobile.twitter.com/bouldero…

As noted above the closure on the Third Flatiron was lifted on Monday, August 13.  

This was another successful year of nestings in the Flatirons with seven Peregrine falcon fledglings,seven Prairie falcons and one Golden eagle

Thanks everyone for observing the closures.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Boulder Flatirons Raptor Closures Update "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started