Mountain Project Logo

Quad anchor masterpoints

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

I can't help your projecting a tone onto my words and I won't sugar coat plain speech to be popular with internet climbers, that is not the goal as far as I am concerned.

Seriously.

Can't.

Help.

You.

You are confusing a repeating of simple core principles in plain words, with derision.

The two are not the same.

English has a concept called "voice" that modifies every word we speak. You are projecting a voice that isn't there. If someone is thin skinned enough to take it that way then it more likely is a case of insecurity based on their lack of experience.

You either know what you are doing, and nothing on the internet is going to change that, or you need to get to that place by having real experience.

"Gumbies (euphemism for inexperienced climbers) like macrame" is a statement of fact. Because they don't know sound principles from book learning.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520
don'tchuffonme wrote:

I agree, but I'm still kind of baffled as to why the "quad" is so popular, and I question whether or not it really is. 

It will fade away at some point once people realize how pointless it is.

Stan Hampton · · St. Charles, MO · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0
don'tchuffonme wrote:

I agree, but I'm still kind of baffled as to why the "quad" is so popular, and I question whether or not it really is.  I don't see that many people using one at least as not as many as I would think given how much attention it gets.  And if it is common, why?  Do people carry it around in the off chance they do find one or two bad bolts at an anchor?  Seems a bit paranoid.

I think it's popular with people who Think that you need have constant equalization between 2 bolts (you don't).  And those who don't realize that they are completely unnecessary.

People don't carry them around "in case" there is a bad bolt.  They would actually be not recommended if there was a suspect bolt.  
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

And that’s just it: quads are only useful where they’re unnecessary. They’re a pain on gear anchors and overkill on bolts or dangerous due to the possibility of extension.  Sure, you COULD bring a pretied quad up with you on a route with bolted anchors, but why would you?

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520
Ted Pinson wrote: Sure, you COULD bring a pretied quad up with you on a route with bolted anchors, but why would you?

I have a friend who does that. I guess he tied the stupid thing, now he has to use it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Quad anchor masterpoints"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started