Mountain Project Logo

Ferguson Fire Affecting Yosemite

Original Post
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

If you haven't heard,  the Ferguson Fire just outside El Portal is over 12K acres and about 2% contained. Highway 140 is closed from Midpines to El Portal.
From the NPS Instagram account:

Visibility and air quality in Yosemite continue to be affected by smoke from the Ferguson Fire burning in the Sierra National Forest. Smoke may be heavy at times; visitors should be prepared to limit any strenuous outdoor activity during the periods of high concentration.

You can view webcams and check the current air quality on our website (see link in Facebook post). As long as the Highway 140 closure from Midpines to El Portal is in place, expect long wait times on Highway 41 at the south entrance to Yosemite National Park.

For more information the Ferguson Fire, please visit ​https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5927/​​​ or contact Sierra National Forest.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of conditions? 

old5ten · · Sunny Slopes + Berkeley, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 4,767

just posted some more info here:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/114602083/tuolumne-meadows-july-smoke

i've found the bluesky daily runs projections to be quite good.

Yosemite Valley now closed until at least Sunday, 7/29:

"Beginning noon today, July 25, 2018, Yosemite Valley, Wawona, and the Mariposa Grove will be closed to all visitors due to the ongoing impacts of the Ferguson Fire. These closures include all hotels, campgrounds, and visitor services in Yosemite Valley and Wawona. The temporary closure is expected to last until Sunday, July 29, 2018.

Since the fire began on Friday, July 13, several other park facilities and roads have been closed due to fire impacts and the need to support firefighting operations. These closures include the Glacier Point Road, Bridalveil Creek Campground, the Wawona Campground, the Merced Grove of Giant Sequoias and others. . "
More: https://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/ferguson-fire-update-additional-park-closures.htm

Related:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/heart-of-yosemite-national-park-closed-due-to-wildfire-1532470890
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/07/25/as-yosemite-closes-to-visitors-confusion-reigns-online/
Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148
Bill Kirby wrote: Anyone have any first hand knowledge of conditions? 

The smoke comes and goes with the wind changing directions up and down canyon.

This is my quick vid from Sat in El Cap Meadow:

https://www.instagram.com/johndtuttle/

Ok cool thanks! Valleys closed so guess I’ll stay in the turd infested city I mean SF :(

Valerie A B · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 37

Yosemite Valley now expected to be closed until Friday afternoon 8/3. Tuolumne remains open. I've been climbing the past 3 out of 4 days in the Meadows. Each day progressively worse as far as smoke goes.
The past two days smoke has spread to Eastside Sierra.

Bill M · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 10
Valerie Ann wrote: Yosemite Valley now expected to be closed until Friday afternoon 8/3. Tuolumne remains open. I've been climbing the past 3 out of 4 days in the Meadows. Each day progressively worse as far as smoke goes.
The past two days smoke has spread to Eastside Sierra.
I was going to head to the eastern Sierra this week. How bad is the smoke there?
TaylorP · · Pump Haus, Sonora · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0
Bill Kirby wrote: Ok cool thanks! Valleys closed so guess I’ll stay in the turd infested city I mean SF :(

You know there's climbing outside of Yosemite right...?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
TaylorP wrote:

You know there's climbing outside of Yosemite right...?

Like where? 

Bill Kirby wrote: Ok cool thanks! Valleys closed so guess I’ll stay in the turd infested city I mean SF :(

You realize that climbing in the Valley in July and August basically sucks, right?

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75
FrankPS wrote:

Like where? 

I heard from this dude that there’s climbing all throughout the Sierra but I’m skeptical.

Tapawingo Markey wrote:

I heard from this dude that there’s climbing all throughout the Sierra but I’m skeptical.

That's pretty unlikely. It's not like there are rock walls everywhere in the Sierra. Stay skeptical, my friend. That dude has an ax to grind and is obviously a scamster. 

Valerie A B · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 37
Bill M wrote: I was going to head to the eastern Sierra this week. How bad is the smoke there?

Pretty smokey. Currently, Mono Lake not visible from the Mono Lake Viewpoint. It was hazy/smokey all the way down to Bishop. 

Guys I don’t have a partner or my gear to go climbing. I planned to hike somewhere in the mountains or the Valley but lots of locations are smoked out.

That said, how bout hiking in the valley in july or August? Any other good spots to take a walk guys? I’m from Maryland.

Bill Kirby wrote: Guys I don’t have a partner or my gear to go climbing. I planned to hike somewhere in the mountains or the Valley but lots of locations are smoked out.

That said, how bout hiking in the valley in july or August? Any other good spots to take a walk guys? I’m from Maryland.

Baltimore Bill,

Have you been to Lake Tahoe yet? Beautiful area.
Jon Po · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 255
FrankPS wrote:

Baltimore Bill,

Have you been to Lake Tahoe yet? Beautiful area.

IS there any smoke in Tahoe? North or South?

Jon Po wrote:

No idea. You could call a business up there and ask or maybe one of our esteemed MP'ers knows. 

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75
Jon Po wrote:

Was up at Donner today, definitely hazy but still blue skies overhead. Think the AQI was 95 which isn’t bad unless you have some sort of pulmonary issue or severe asthma. Nothing like Reno, Mono, Yosemite, etc. 

Bill, if you havent hiked around the Tahoe area yet you should check it out. Desolation is busy but still well worth it and it’s not too hard to get some solitude if you steer away from the Echo Lake/Lake Aloha, and Tallac trailhead. Alternatively you could check ot Carson Pass area which is just as great with a lot less visitors.
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Bill Kirby wrote: Guys I don’t have a partner or my gear to go climbing. I planned to hike somewhere in the mountains or the Valley but lots of locations are smoked out.

Ya gotta whole other coast out here, sir! Maybe north, to redwoods, or south to Big Sur? There's plenty of day hikes near you, too. I'm prejudiced toward water right now, and admit to envying you that ocean....we're headed for 105°. Just....sucks.

Best, Helen
Brandon R · · CA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 178

I'm at the Leap now, and was mountain biking on the east rim of the lake yesterday. The views are somewhat diminished, but you can't really smell or feel the smoke. Today seems a little worse than yesterday though. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Ferguson Fire Affecting Yosemite"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started