Mountain Project Logo

Car Break-in Cheyene Canyon

Original Post
Joe F. · · Colorado Springs · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 100

Just a heads up.  My car was parked at lot 25 across from the bridge in Cheyene Canyon tonight for about an hour while we climbed.  When I came back the rear window was smashed and a backpack with draws was stolen.  Lesson learned to not leave anything visible in the car.  

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Ugh, sorry to hear. Yeah, you can't leave anything visible in the car there, at GOTG, or RROS either. 

CMaloney · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 0

Thanks for the heads up.  Doesn't seem to be getting any better around here.

Mark R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

This blows. I saw a car in the Cutler parking area around this time with the rear window smashed out too. Hung out a bit but didn't see the owner on the trail and the thieves appeared to long gone.

Ben W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Any chance you lost a helmet? I found one at the base of the Pinnacle yesterday and I'm looking for it's rightful owner. Sorry to hear about the break-in! 

Well, our car got broken into last week. It was parked just below Crack Parallel. There was a guy in a car parked there in front of us alone who was looking around mid morning. He waited for us to leave the car to drive off himself and I think he noticed my friend locking his wallet in the glove compartment. We got a call while climbing. My friend's wife said some unusual charges were appearing on their business credit card. When we returned, the passenger window was smashed and the wallet gone. The car was possibly a 2003 silver Buick Park Avenue. The license plate had the letter Q in it. It definitely had the three ports on the side of the front of the car like in the picture. Another Reddit poster reported a suspicious car with the license plate QNI104. That's about all we have for anyone else parking in the canyon.

Adam bloc · · San Golderino, Calirado · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 2,185

Man gotta love/hate urban crags. I also found a helmet at crack parallels base if any one is missing one.

Adam Block wrote: Man gotta love/hate urban crags. I also found a helmet at crack parallels base if any one is missing one.

Hey, we were even having armed robberies at the Section 16 trailhead a while back, one at 3 am or so. They put a camera there at least. Not even Devil's Head is safe. :-D

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Car Break-in Cheyene Canyon"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started