Mountain Project Logo

Tuolumne weather

Original Post
Scottmx426 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Just checking to see what the daily atmosphere is doing in TM. Typical afternoon T-storms?  I’ve read the forecast. What is it like on the ground up there. Heading back up today. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Scottmx426 wrote: Just checking to see what the daily atmosphere is doing in TM. Typical afternoon T-storms?  I’ve read the forecast. What is it like on the ground up there. Heading back up today. 

Let us know the smoke situation.

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25

Wanted to hit the Eastside this weekend. Was going to avoid Tuolumne due to smoke. Looks clearer near Bishop and on south. Am I wrong? Tahoe is socked in with smoke this AM. I am pretty sensitive to the smoke, or I'd just go for it.

Isaac Leija · · Salinas, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 35
Ryan Pfleger wrote:Tahoe is socked in with smoke this AM. 

Wow, i'm assuming this is from the Furguson fire as well? I was thinking of hitting up The Leap this weekend...

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

The weekend looks like T-storms and unstable weather. My guess is that the winds will be blowing the smoke from the fire all over the place. I think its going to be difficult to predict where and when its going to be smoky. The fire is now at 23,000 acres and is only going to get bigger. You can use this link to look at the outlook, which includes a smoke hazard prediction https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5927/ 

Isaac Leija · · Salinas, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 35

Thanks man

I’ll report on smoke conditions but I’m specifically interested in what the thunderstorms have been doing in the last 2 days.  If anyone just returned or is currently there.  

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25
Isaac Leija wrote:

Wow, i'm assuming this is from the Furguson fire as well? I was thinking of hitting up The Leap this weekend...

Yeah, its all from Ferguson. Tahoe smoke has been worst in the morning and clearing up as the day goes on. Its not bad enough to bother most people, but I'm a delicate flower.

Jacob Northcutt · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 75

We are currently sitting down in Lee Vining because of midday storms up in Tuolumne. It seems like the weather will remain unstable until Tuesday in Tuolumne. Also, the smoke was bad down by Tenaya Lake yesterday and then got worse throughout the day today. We were in Mammoth area on Wednesday and had no issues with air quality.  Does anyone have more to report from the Tahoe area? Thanks

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577
Jacob Northcutt wrote: We are currently sitting down in Lee Vining because of midday storms up in Tuolumne. It seems like the weather will remain unstable until Tuesday in Tuolumne. Also, the smoke was bad down by Tenaya Lake yesterday and then got worse throughout the day today. We were in Mammoth area on Wednesday and had no issues with air quality.  Does anyone have more to report from the Tahoe area? Thanks

A friend of mine said the same thing RE:Tuolumne this afternoon. Bummer. 

Brandon R · · CA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 178

There was a little cloud build up at the Leap today, but it wasn't very threatening. Smoke/haze was present but fairly minor.
Last week the entire Owens valley was smoky, well south of Mammoth all the way up to, and north of Bridgeport. There's not really any guaranteed way to escape this smoke in the Sierra. 

David N · · Los angeles · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

Anyone know if the smoke is making it's way down to SEKI?

TM got dumped on Friday morning, clear skies with smoke building in in the afternoon. Saturday not T heads but the smoke was bad. At 3pm visibility was about a mile. 

David N · · Los angeles · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

Thanks Tyler 

Tim Opsahl · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Anyone know latest on smoke in tuolumne? Is it best to stay clear this coming week?

Depends on your tolerance. There’s fewer climbers that I noticed two days ago so it may be advantageous. The smoke will be there. Check the wind direction though. It plays a major roll. 

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981
Tim Opsahl wrote: Anyone know latest on smoke in tuolumne? Is it best to stay clear this coming week?

Saw a photo of Half dome taken from Olmsted Point this weekend. Or rather, I saw a photo of gray smoke with what we were told was Half Dome behind that gray curtain. 

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

Dramatically improved on the Webcams, but situation may change.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: Dramatically improved on the Webcams, but situation may change.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

WOW, that's massively better

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148
kevin deweese wrote:

WOW, that's massively better

Its smoking up quick again though, with the start of up canyon flow. Sorry about Sat, that was way worse than it had been the day before.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Tuolumne weather"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started