Mountain Project Logo

One Day Trip To Font- Best area to climb?

Original Post
Will Fallat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

I'm going to Europe with some family and I'm going to have 1 full day to climb in Fontainbleau. That being said, I want to figure out what would be the best area to go to. It's going to be later this month (so it'll probably be really hot) and I'm going solo, but I plan on renting a car so I can get to any spot. I've been using bleau.info to find potential boulders, but it seems like there's too many sub areas to each main area to pick from! I'm coming off a recent finger injury so crimp lines are a no-go, but I love slopers and I LOVE dynos. I can climb v8 in a day, but from what I've read, adjusting to Font's style can be hard so I'm looking mostly in the v4-6 range so I can get in lots of volume (or dynos up to v8 since you can try those a bunch!) any recommendations would be awesome!!

Tim McGivern · · Medford, ma · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 12,579

If I only had a day, I’d choose a circuit in either Trois Pignons, or Cuvier. Maybe an orange if you want volume and a great day. If you do the orange circuit at Cuvier, you’ll catch on to Font style quickly.
If you want shade, the guide I have (jingo Wobbly) indicates more shade at Beauvais and Apremont. I don’t think I’ve been to those spots, but I know they both have orange and blue circuits and are classic areas. Have fun!

landow 69 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 18

Bas Cuvier is a good choice. Lots of blocs right off the parking lot. Can be crowded and the rock is polished in places, but the climbing is choice.

Another option is Isatis. Similar to Bas in that it's off the parking lot, and if you have a full day you follow the trail to Cuisiniere another good spot. Both areas have a high concentration of climbs in one area. I think bleau.info is adequate for beta. Once you get there follow the orange and blue circuits. That'll keep you busy for a day.
BTW Apremont is also good in the shade and it's near Bas, you can either walk from Bas or drive to the village of Barbizon and hike from there, less than 20 min. Have a great time, you're gonna love it!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Bouldering
Post a Reply to "One Day Trip To Font- Best area to climb?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started