Mountain Project Logo

TC pro clone is being made by 5.10

Original Post
MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
new 5.10 grandstone

apparently available spring 2019. Looks like a near perfect copy to the TC pro... Knowing 5.10 they will sell it for a year before discontinuing it :)
Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

Definitely is not a near perfect copy. You see how big (ie tall) that toebox is?

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25

Yummy, wide toeboxy goodness!

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

It also looks more downturned.  That color scheme is horrible, though lol.  Still, TC Pros with built in C4?  Yummmy!

Edit: might be relevant:
http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web11w/ms-ab-fiveten-grandstone

C Limenski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

The only thing the review asked for they didn't change.

I'm really curious where people are trad climbing that their routes don't have both wide and narrow cracks? Or is this not supposed to be a stiff all around trad shoe that competes with tcs? Confused. I do like the colors though

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

The original Grindstone is my favorite all around shoe, I have hoarded several pair since they were discontinued.  I will definitely be giving these a try when they hit the market.

Justin G88 · · Leavenworth · Joined May 2015 · Points: 230

Honestly, I am kinda surprised its taken them this long to make a shoe like this. I wish more companies would make trad oriented shoes with ankle protection. 

Justin G88 wrote: Honestly, I am kinda surprised its taken them this long to make a shoe like this. I wish more companies would make trad oriented shoes with ankle protection. 

This is just a new version of their old Grandstone they stopped producing a few years ago.   The old version was a pretty good all day all around shoe.  

I stock piled the Grandstone when they discontinued it and have been getting them resoled as they wear out.   I have arthritis in one of my big toes and these are the perfect stiffness without sacrificing flex for smearing.  nullnull
Bendon Arthar · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Can't wait a bit to try this one. :)

Wes Turner · · az / pa · Joined May 2003 · Points: 30
mpech wrote: new 5.10 grandstone

apparently available spring 2019. Looks like a near perfect copy to the TC pro... Knowing 5.10 they will sell it for a year before discontinuing it :)

its a re-release of a shoe that came out long before the TC Pro..... Updated for 2019. Better rubber, likely a better fit... yeah, I'm in. But your discontinue point is valid. They piss me off with that nonsense. 

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

...and maybe they (unlike La Sportiva's TCPro) will make the shoe in a size larger than 46 !

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Wes Turner wrote:

its a re-release of a shoe that came out long before the TC Pro..... Updated for 2019. Better rubber, likely a better fit... yeah, I'm in. But your discontinue point is valid. They piss me off with that nonsense. 

If you completely change a shoe, but keep the old name--- it's still a new shoe, and it's still very clearly a tc pro clone. 

A moot point , because I assume 5.10 has already stopped selling it :)
Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

The scarpa maestro is intended to compete with the tc. I just bought some. I wouldn’t call it a clone though. 

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ZI3FjyLXo 2 minute pitch from the Five Ten rep
Hobo Greg wrote:

I do the same thing, though I only have two pairs. It was my first climbing shoe. Wore em on opposite feet when the rubber ran out. You a US 11 as well?

No, 11.5 and 12 depending on what I am climbing.  I started stock piling Anasazi Blancos as well.  They are my favorite cragging shoe and due to arthritis in one of my big toes the blancos really offer great support without too much pain.

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
mpech wrote: A moot point , because I assume 5.10 has already stopped selling it :)

Heh.  Yeah, F-them until they reintroduce the Lynx! (Circa 1993 or 1994, as I recall it).

Buck Rogers · · West Point, NY · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 240

Not to highjack the thread too badly (but I probably am) but now that I am back climbing after 15 years I really miss my kaukulator shoes.  

What's the closest thing to them out there now?  Are the TC Pros pretty close?

Rexford Nesakwatch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
Tony B wrote:

Heh.  Yeah, F-them until they reintroduce the Lynx! 

Great news! 22Designs just did:

http://www.twentytwodesigns.com/Bindings_c_1.html
Wes Turner · · az / pa · Joined May 2003 · Points: 30
Buck Rogers wrote: Not to highjack the thread too badly (but I probably am) but now that I am back climbing after 15 years I really miss my kaukulator shoes.  

What's the closest thing to them out there now?  Are the TC Pros pretty close?

TC is more narrow, and harder rubber. The fit won't be the same. 

I'm waiting for the new 5.10 Grandstones (above) to come out In late Jan/Feb. Or look to the Evolv hightop possibly. But definitely try The TC Pro's on if you haven't.( I didn't like them, and the rubber is too hard for me) Also, check out the Black Diamond Aspect shoes. Not a high top, but def a trad shoe. Feel great.  

Buck Rogers · · West Point, NY · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 240
Wes Turner wrote:

TC is more narrow, and harder rubber. The fit won't be the same. 

I'm waiting for the new 5.10 Grandstones (above) to come out In late Jan/Feb. Or look to the Evolv hightop possibly. But definitely try The TC Pro's on if you haven't.( I didn't like them, and the rubber is too hard for me) Also, check out the Black Diamond Aspect shoes. Not a high top, but def a trad shoe. Feel great.  

Super!  Thanks for the info.  I'll look into the new Grandstoneswhen they come out and the BD ones. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "TC pro clone is being made by 5.10"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started