Mountain Project Logo

Favorite Trad Pack / Crag Pack?

M P · · Somewhere in the desert · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 356

I've got the Mammut Neon Gear 45, which I thought was going to be the game changer for me. It opens up from the back (clamshell), and also from the top; has two gear loops inside (though for a trad rack, I'd prefer four), internal pockets for your shoes and chalk bag (though you have to be careful how you pack them or it interferes with your overall capacity); straps to secure your rope to the top of the bag; even has an emergency whistle on the chest strap.

Alas, I took it to the ADK this weekend, and spent most of the weekend mentally drafting the "for sale" sign that's going up at my gym this week. It's probably fine for people who are male, but for me the fit was horrible. The shoulder straps gap, the waist straps don't cinch down tight enough, and there's no adjustability in the torso. So it either fits you or it doesn't. (For me, it doesn't.)

I'm still looking for my ideal crag pack. Looking forward to hearing from others on this thread—particularly trad climbers in the sub 5'6" 115lb range. (Ladies?!)

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 40

I'm a big fan of my osprey bag (Exos 48). Ospreys carry weight really well, which is something most climbing packs fail to do.  I Just take a blue foam sleeping pad (Like 5 dollars at walmart, and cut a oval that goes in the bottom and then roll the rest of the pad for the sides of the pack. This holds it open and upright, and keeps your cams, nut tools, and other sharp things you end up with, from cutting the fabric of the bag. You also end up with a bivy pad, or somewhere dry and not cold to sit.

My Ultralight (Not durable) osprey has been my crag bag for almost 2 years of at least 25 weekends out a year, survived 3 flights, and not a single hole in the main compartment (one hole in the Water bottle pocket though.

tldr: Find a backpacking style pack that fits you well, and it will end up as your crag pack simply because its comfy and carries well.

Sarah Meiser · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,094

Another vote for the Trango Crag Pack. Spacious, really easy to get gear in/out, comfortable to carry even when stuffed to the brim, and cheap.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520
John Wilder wrote:

Man, 45 to 50l? That's a big ol' bag for cragging...

Ha ha ha. I have a Mars 80 REI for cragging. The big benefit of a huge pack is that you can easily get a sloppily coiled rope inside or puffed out rope bag. In addition to all of your climbing gear, you can also toss your puffy coat in there when it warms up and fit huge bottles of water, extra shoes, etc. And, the huge pack has a huge waist belt to carry all of that stuff. A smaller pack usually is too short for you to transfer weight to the waist belt, so your shoulders carry the load 100% of the time. Been there, done that. I love the YUUGE PAck.

A cool feature of the Mars 80 is the double zipper that allows you to splay out the guts of your pack, vivisection style, and no more do you have to dive for that GriGri at the bottom floating around.
cassondra l · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 335

Love my Osprey Variant 52 so much I bought the 37 liter version as well. They are the most comfortable packs I have ever owned, and the 52L is the only one that has lasted more than  year without ripping the bottom out (my 37 is brand new, just bought it.) The mouth expands wide to make it easy to get gear in and out, and has straps and holders  for ropes, ice axes and other alpiney stuff. While it is unisex, it is the only pack I have ever bought that actually fits me even though I am female. The shoulder straps and hip belt have cushy padding that make it delightful for carrying my trad rack. My friend also bought the 52L and said she loved it, and for hiking, hardly noticed she was wearing it......

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

PatMas wrote: I'm a big fan of my osprey bag (Exos 48). Ospreys carry weight really well, which is something most climbing packs fail to do.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             I Just take a blue foam sleeping pad, ( Ensolite, sic)
 (Like 5 dollars at walmart, and cut a oval that goes in the bottom
  and then roll the rest of the pad for the sides of the pack.  
This holds it open and upright, and keeps your cams, nut tools, 
 and other sharp things you end up with, from cutting the fabric of the bag. 
 You also end up with a bivy pad, or somewhere dry and not cold to sit.

My Ultralight (Not durable) osprey has been my crag bag for almost 2 years of at least 25 weekends out a year, survived 3 flights, and not a single hole in the main compartment (one hole in the Water bottle pocket though.

tldr: Find a backpacking style pack that fits you well, and it will end up as your crag pack simply because its comfy and carries well.

I have a black, BD Stone 45, the black, makes it is hard to see into the pack in low light, and it absorbs solar heat,

BD packs are hype'd as great but have low durability, Weekend, car to crag is fine but not for guiding Or for daily use,

it carries weight very well. much better than the other, Black Diamond packs, Duffel Crag-daddy or the Creek series wich are not haul bags

There is not really a good way to find the right pack given the mix of variables but if you get past the bells and whistles & realize that what is called for is a sturdy versatile indestructible, fully padded climbing sack

The Trango is a cheap knock off,The Cilo is an overpriced, lightweight* less durable copy, why buy the copies & knock offs?

So are the Creeks, from BD as well as the slot tubes that miss the point of the versitility of size, you don't need to fill it every time.I know those packs there are a few different version on the theme, from a few companies But the Fish Atom Smasher deluxe is the most pack for the money. The stallion of the breed, among geldings, of copies, a pack that will out last you., have it as a base camp bag for crest climbs or three day assaults, use an ensolite pad, around the inside to protect from pointy things.it will be the best pack you ever owned. The addition of the top. Thus the Delux is critical, it allows for food water and under suff ing. When filled it's a mini pig the hood cover, - domes out- allowing for a rope & helmet You will get tired of its boring -indestructible- nature and move on, but it will be the best pack you ever owned.

For every thing from family camping, car camping, and light weight car camping at that Like an afternoon beach bag, the Smasher excels, is just the ticket to go overnight, but it is a mini- haul bag. & who knows what size it is when stuffed to the gills?  but FIsh'll say close to 85l if left open, using stuff sacks(holds a packed ledge) &  the Ensolite pad.
Then there is the good chance of having  the rig custom sewn to your measurements.(priceless)
Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415

Arc'teryx Miura 50

Used ones pop up every now and then. Only one you'll need.

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
Tapawingo Markey wrote:

Agreed. I wish it had a more robust internal frame to carry better. The design/features overall are nice though. 

Ill jump on this wagon too. The cragsmith is just adequate for a short walkin, and only hold sport gear, helmet, 18 draws, harness and shoes, and small ancillaries and it full and not great as a walknig pack. The waist belt sits far too high on my torso.

Jay Eggleston · · Denver · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 21,381

Cilo gear 45 L

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 327

+1 for the cilo 30:30. The thing sometimes feels like it’s bottomless.

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

For just cragging TNF cinder pack is pretty hard to beat 

Tyler Newcomb · · New York, New York | Boston · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 81

I have the older MH Hueco 34, and I absolutely love it.

Unfortunately it's discontinued.

I would still recommend MH for packs, as they're durable, well constructed, and simple. 

Carl Schneider · · Mount Torrens, South Australia · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Black Diamond Creek 50 for trad/sports.  Initially I didn't like the fact the front pocket doesn't have a top cover but now I like it.  The front pocket has two smaller pockets that I put things like car keys, blue tooth speaker, phone, beanie etc in and a HUGE main compartment that takes all my gear, rope, quick draws, etc.  It has a full length zip so you can just spill everything out or open to check easier if you have something rather than burrowing down from the top. Also has a top opening of course which has a rain cover.  Really strong material and really comfy straps. Has a hard plastic insert that provides rigidity, and I store a rain jacket in the sleeve that this plastic insert goes in.

Also I use the Black Diamond Stone Duffel for bouldering.  The Stone Duffel has two inner pockets and comes with a rope tarp. I now use the rope tarp with the Creek 50 as that is my roped climbing bag.

Mark Fochesato · · Brunswick · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 27

I use the first gen Patagonia Cragsmith 35L and really like it and find it comfy even when fully loaded. Patagonia did redesign the Cragsmith and now has a 45L version with nice updates. I saw one at a shop and it looks like it would work great.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/cragsmith-climbing-pack-45-liters/48065.html

Michael R · · Cincinnati, OHIO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I have a deluxe atom smasher and it's rad as hell. It's super functional and it's a real haul bag.

Peter Lewis · · Bridgton, ME · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 165

Cold Cold World Valdez. Best pack ever, made locally by a great guy. 

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

I was wondering where Randy's fans were? & of course, Hope you are well SP,  Yes  -Cold Cold World- makes Packs to hand down to your children too,

A big shout out for the coming ledges too,, but, really go check out what Josh is sewing,@ Tufa

Danna Designs = Mystery Ranch..

Burning coffee gotta go

Peter Lewis · · Bridgton, ME · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 165
Suburban Roadside wrote: I was wondering where Randy's fans were? & of course, Hope you are well SP,  Yes  -Cold Cold World- makes Packs to hand down to your children too,

A big shout out for the coming ledges too,, but, really go check out what Josh is sewing,@ Tufa

Danna Designs = Mystery Ranch..

Burning coffee gotta go

Doing well. And good point: I should add my CCW packs to my will.   

Tyler Newcomb · · New York, New York | Boston · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 81

+1 for mystery ranch.

Whenever I have a mountain rescue or search and rescue member come in, that's what I point them towards. When you're carrying 45-50 pounds in a 35 liter pack, that's the bag you want. 

Clark Safely · · Keller, TX · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 177

I can't believe no one has mentioned The North Face Cinder 40L or 55L pack. I have the 55L and it fits everything, and I mean everything... From multi day treks into the alpine to crag days this thing is awesome. Not to mention VERY water resistant. I got rained on for hours during a long alpine approach and this thing kept everything pretty damn dry. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Favorite Trad Pack / Crag Pack?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started