Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Trips Via Motorcycle

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

I think most people have bare minimum insurance for motorcycles because it is cheaper in the long run since most don't cost that much and they are for fun not for getting to your daily job every day.

Emily Rudenberg · · Ottawa, CAN · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote:

This may or may not be my new lock screen. Alpine motorcycle mania. I appreciate you so much beautiful human.

Jeff Young · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 10

Great thread indeed!  I'm psyched to get in some Moto/climbing trips this summer!  

Picked up a KTM 690 at the beginning of the summer.  Fuel pump went out immediately, and then it was promptly stolen!  Fortunately, also recovered.  Got it back with some, but minimal damage.  Needless to say, so far it's been a bummer.  Other than the fuel injection issues it's an amazing bike though and hopefully reliable, capable on everything from single track to 70 mph down the highway.

Been researching pannier options and I like Giant Loops (Bend, OR) stuff and have seen it on quite a few adv bikes.

Sean C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Sorry to hijack (seems this question doesn't warrant another thread)...

Does anyone have any feedback on 'dirtbagging' it on a motorcycle? Especially during winter... Currently considering quitting my job and doing it. I'm an avid motorcyclist.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148
Sean C wrote: Sorry to hijack (seems this question doesn't warrant another thread)...

Does anyone have any feedback on 'dirtbagging' it on a motorcycle? Especially during winter... Currently considering quitting my job and doing it. I'm an avid motorcyclist.

Are we talking desert Southwest or Olympic Peninsula?

Probably CO, MT, NM, UT, NV, OR, WA. Really not sure, so both/All of it?   

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

O gotcha, MT dirtbagging in winter on a motorcycle seems sane lol...I've spent the winter in Yose in a tent. The sun is your friend.

#vanlife

Stiles · · the Mountains · Joined May 2003 · Points: 845

Three week alpine ice/skiing trip on an 800. Covered about 4300miles. Could carry about 2days groceries at a time. One multi-day climb,otherwise bivied beside the bike.  Had 9 pairs of socks with me--that was clutch. Otherwise light n fast alpine style packing. Hard boxes plus climbing pack.

Gotta clean/lube chain every 600miles. Need a good tool kit n plug kit, too. Drinking water is a limiting factor.
Start watching videos on Adventure Riding on youtube--lots of technique to learn, and packing what and how. Watch all of the MCRider videos to keep you safe on pavement.
A bike makes the driving really fun ('cept for highspeed straights and wind) because its exciting and you have to pay very intent attention every moment. 
MorganH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 197

I got everywhere on a motorcycle for several years. I was able to cram everything into saddlebags and a bag strapped to the rear seat. I never had a fairing, so it was pretty tiring to do more than about 400 miles/day. And cold is really a thing.

Walter Edly · · Thomasville NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

Another KLR man here.  Agree with the backpack resting on the rear rack.  You can offset with a small pack in front, but it wears on your shoulders after an hour or so.  There's the small spot in the fairing on the left that keeps food warm.  Tank bag is a must, and did anyone say barkbusters?

Always looking for sixth gear...

elwood · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 161

Every summer I ride from the Tahoe area to boulder.  I just bring my harness, chalk bag, and shoes.  Have friends along the way, except at Ibex.  Been out there for days on end and never seen a soul.   Have done it on a KLR.  If your on a budget it can be done, but in high winds in NV and UT can be a bitch to ride in.  Even did it on a Harley XR1200 not the best for dirt roads!  The last 2 years I rode a bmw gsa 1200, nothing could be better.  Only problem I have had on any bike is the amount of water to stay days on end in remote areas with no water but what you carry.  I'm solving it this year, I'm going to ride a Ural with a sidecar.  Hope to solve the water problem.  

MorganH wrote: I got everywhere on a motorcycle for several years. I was able to cram everything into saddlebags and a bag strapped to the rear seat. I never had a fairing, so it was pretty tiring to do more than about 400 miles/day. And cold is really a thing.

I used to own just a motorcycle, so I've ridden in relatively inclement weather, but how was livability on a bike? Did you travel South for the winter?

elwood · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 161

Live in CA Just below snow line, so I can ride all year.  I use fishing bibs and top in the rain.  I buy a cheap pair rubber overboots for rain.  I've been riding on bikes since the 70's and have the livability as second nature.  Best thing ever was the heated hand grips on the BMW.  Hate cold hands!  south as in NM, AZ, TX or FL GA and such.  Lots in the southwest nothing in southeast.  

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

I'd also recommend getting roadside assistance (via an auto club or through your insurance) in case you have a mechanical failure or run out of gas.  If you end up having to get towed it can get expensive quickly. 

MorganH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 197
Sean C wrote:

I used to own just a motorcycle, so I've ridden in relatively inclement weather, but how was livability on a bike? Did you travel South for the winter?

Nope, just suffered in the winter. Livibility was slightly more posh than back-packing. I would end up carpooling with friends with cars a lot.

ToDoubleD Whitney · · Aptos, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 30

I’m a shitty climber, but pretty good on a bike, even had a small guide business taking people out in the Mojave. I’d really recommend staying clear of the KLR. It a giant, under powered pig. It’s weight puts it in the 1000+cc category, but it’s power is in the 400 categorie, not to mention it’s shitty suspension. I’ve owned most of the common ADV bikes... BMW 1200GSA (worst for me bike I’ve evener owned. It’s great on pavement, but truly awful on any dirt besides fire roads. It can be done, and I’ve done it, but it’s not as much fun), KTM 950SE (arguably the most fun and awesome bike ever, but it’s heavy, and really only good for someone that rides hard), KTM 640ADV (off road is awesome, on road is painful due to vibes), and last my all time favorite bike, the humble DRZ400. I’ve done thousands of dirt and street miles on them and with just a few mods they’re awesome if you want a cheap and kick ass bike mainly for off-road use. It sounds like you’ll spend much more time on road, so you might check the DR650. Again, with a few mods, such as a bigger gas tank, small windscreen, and a Renazco seat (look em up. Hand made awesomeness for your bum!) the DR650 will be hard to beat. Getting the suspension dialed for your weight, plus gear would truly enhance whatever bike you get. 

Oh, I prefer soft luggage. Hard cases tend to get bent when ya crash and add weight. I spent all my time far away from pavement, so theft was never an issue for me. If it is for you, hard cases might be better. 

Anyway, sounds like you’re gonna have a blast! Have fun out there on whatever bike ya choose.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbing Trips Via Motorcycle"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started