Mountain Project Logo

ARC training in busy gym

Original Post
Travis James · · Connecticut · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 232

Anyone have suggestions for ARC training or comparable endurance training while in a busy gym - ie not staying on one tR for 25min, not being able to traverse the gym, no auto belay.

Essentially what kind of bouldering circuit works for you ?

John Lombardi · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 995

I've done 4-5 min traverse bouldering circuits. I don't think that's long enough to qualify as "ARC" though. I've just tried to go at 630am or something instead. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Yeah...go at a less busy time.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

Volume bouldering. Climb a large number of easy/moderate boulder problems in an hour. Downclimb problems after you climb them to double the mileage (and save your knees). No need to rush, but aim for continuous movement; once you finish a problem walk straight to the next available problem in the correct grade range. Focus on quality movement, not just getting up the problem. Problems should be easy enough that you don't fall off any of them through the circuit. Maintain a light pump throughout, like you would while ARCing. You shouldn't be exhausted afterward.

It definitely isn't the same as ARCing, but can be beneficial in some similar ways. It does seem the be the best option in a crowded gym, and is usually doable even on a busy weeknight.

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

The answer is don't be that person. If you are really doing ARC, like going non-stop for close to a half hour, you are going to be hogging a lot of real estate. Don't be that asshole.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "ARC training in busy gym "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started