Mountain Project Logo

New and Experienced Climbers over 51

Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

Stupid to limit one of the few MP threads that remained civil and free of trolling for 1000 posts.

Anyway, here is the continuation.  The first 1000 posts are at https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/114035329/new-and-experienced-climbers-over-50

Carry on...

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

Bump to make Mountain Project more like Supertopo.

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
Old lady H wrote:

Oh dear. Feeling old today? You're profile claims a mere 30. I have kitchen implements older than that, sir.

But alas, I also saw icy endeavors amongst your interests, so there's that.

Thanks for your good wishes, I will assume it was meant that way.

Best, OLH

Can't post one snarky remark?  What is this, the woman's forum?

Lori Milas · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 240

Gosh, I left the house early this morning and drove all day only to discover the thread gone! And now the age limit has been raised! What about the guy who was just 3 weeks from turning 50? That’s a bummer!   

We grow more exclusive by the kilopost

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Poist limut makes me

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Just got aged out. But sticking around...

Great article  about older climbers. Some really solid advice in it.

https://www.climbing.com/people/climbing-into-old-age-7-senior-climbers-share-their-experience-and-advice/​​​

Señor Arroz wrote: Just got aged out. But sticking around...

Great article  about older climbers. Some really solid advice in it.

https://www.climbing.com/people/climbing-into-old-age-7-senior-climbers-share-their-experience-and-advice/

Senor, great article! It also puts things into perspective. A strong, fit 70 year old who takes a little longer to send a 5.12... I’d like to acknowledge that this crowd here (on this thread) is an exceptional group and has incredible leadership in aging. The law of averages says every one is going to bust something some day...but maturity, discipline  and passion allow you to continually move forward.  I really appreciate the unanimous comments in the article about learning not to do stupid injury-inducing stuff for the ego-gratification. 

Jeffrey I just have one question for you: do you surf? 

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674
Kristin Machnick in the middle 80 years young Still climbing! Surf once and a while.

Feeling a little bummed today. I just couldn’t make enough time on this packed business trip to take Jeff up on his generous offer. I hope the offer is still good on a future  trip. I believe that Jeffrey could even coax me up The Flake, too...if we were ever to meet up in J Tree.  Love all the pictures and inspiration here on this thread. (Rgold...bought the book). 
With just a couple spare hours here at the beach I’m tempted to grab a surf board and stop pouting.

Looks like you're at Dockweiler or El Segundo. Next time you visit LA let me know. 

Lori Milas wrote: Feeling a little bummed today. I just couldn’t make enough time on this packed business trip to take Jeff up on his generous offer. I hope the offer is still good on a future  trip. I believe that Jeffrey could even coax me up The Flake, too...if we were ever to meet up in J Tree.  Love all the pictures and inspiration here on this thread. (Rgold...bought the book).
With just a couple spare hours here at the beach I’m tempted to grab a surf board and stop pouting.
Señor Arroz wrote: Looks like you're at Dockweiler or El Segundo. Next time you visit LA let me know.

You can tell a beach by feet?   Sunset Beach. No surf today. Maybe Newport. I would LOVE to do that Senor! Will do. 

Lori Milas wrote:

You can tell a beach by feet?   Sunset Beach. No surf today. Maybe Newport. I would LOVE to do that Senor! Will do. 

Funny. No. I was looking at the oil and gas ships anchored offshore. The only beach in LA proper you see that is the South Bay. Though, clearly, North OC has them, too, waiting to come into the port. 

Is anyone doing any climbing this summer? Pictures?

I’m thinking of driving back up to Donner tomorrow to continue hiking and learning to navigate in the forest behind my son’s. I set aside the Garmin purchase until I have gotten the hang of map and compass, but recognizing how fearful I get when I lose a trail or get turned around—maybe I could have one just in case. Does this ever get easier? Rgold I am working with the great book you suggested (The Essential Wilderness Navigator).  This time I will take a rope etc and see how it goes with building anchors and climbing-go a little further, a little higher.

The book suggests that if all else fails look to your dog to lead you back. Laughing over this one. My granddog Whiskey is such a jubilant free spirit that when we hike he goes anywhere but back. I wonder how long it would take him to decide its time to give up and go home? Days...

There’s a 3-day REI Climbfest at Donner this weekend. Considered that but full sun walls with dozens of climbers...has anyone gone to events like this? Red Rock?  Btw, if anyone wants to visit the Sierras and wants a place to stay...you’re always welcome at my house or to pitch a tent at Tim’s. 

Russ Walling wrote: Lori, this is something you might want to look into.  I hear it is really a great event, with top shelf instruction, food, prizes, and a bargain for what you get.  

http://www.friendsofjosh.org/climb-smart-2018-set-for-oct-12-14-at-jt-lake-and-jtnp/

Their press packet is always pretty thin, but maybe a few searches on past events will give you a better idea of what goes on.

ClimbSmart

Past schedule of events

Hey Russ! I saw this and put it on my calendar. (Anyone else interested?) thanks for sharing!

I promised myself I would go to new places and try new rock this summer.  Doing my best, trying to keep some balance in life and climb often.  

Not into crowd fests. Have fun!

Have a nice day everyone!
Jeffrey Constine wrote:
Have a nice day everyone!

OMG. You’re naked. 

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

jjjjjjeeeehffffeeee

The 1st 4 are mine,
'

this is fun and games rolling the numbers dice
Description

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started