Mountain Project Logo

Fires impacting Front Range?

Original Post
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Hey everyone,

Was planning a trip to Boulder in early August and just saw an article about the fires in Durango.  Very sorry to see that - hope everyone is ok.  How are things on the Front Range?  Has there been any impact on Boulder or Estes?

Greg Miller · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 30

Aside from the red-colored sunrises, not particularly.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

As long as campfires are not part of your plans, you should be fine. At least as of now.

Devils head was shut down because a good samaritan shot down a car jacker that was shooting up the place. So you may want to include a 45 on your rack.

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265
Greg D wrote: As long as campfires are not part of your plans, you should be fine. At least as of now.

Devils head was shut down because a good sameritan shot down a car jacker that was shooting up the place. So you may want to include a 45 on your rack. 

Or a couple AR-15s, which is what the Samaritan used. 

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

I didn’t know that. Yet again, “scary military style gun” saves lives. 

Yeah, I heard about that...scary stuff.  So fire bans are in effect?  We were considering camping in RMNP.  Either way, sounds like it will be fine - thanks for the replies.  I don’t have a .45, but I do have a hatchet.

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50
http://www.cpr.org/news/story/colorado-wildfire-updates-3-colorado-springs-residents-charged-with-arson-in-chateau-fire

It's been really hot (upper 90's-100 degrees) in Denver area and this is the wildfire season anyway. Not much affecting Boulder or Estes currently. Campfires are a bad idea (couple in CO Springs apparently in big trouble for unattended campfire sparking wildfire).
RangerJ · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 65
John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392
Ted Pinson wrote: Hey everyone,

Was planning a trip to Boulder in early August and just saw an article about the fires in Durango.  Very sorry to see that - hope everyone is ok.  How are things on the Front Range?  Has there been any impact on Boulder or Estes?

I guess it depends on what you consider "impact".  In the last month there's been 14 wildfires in CO, and a dozen more upwind in other states.  It's not been too bad lately but there is still a lot of haze in the air and my eyes are gluey every morning.    Of course, anything could happen before you get here.

And I'll echo some of the other posters: Boulder-area in August will likely be really hot.  Got your Dawn Patrol merit badge?
Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265
Ted Pinson wrote: Yeah, I heard about that...scary stuff.  So fire bans are in effect?  We were considering camping in RMNP.  Either way, sounds like it will be fine - thanks for the replies.  I don’t have a .45, but I do have a hatchet.

Don’t bring a hatchet to a gun fight. 

physnchips · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Greg D wrote: As long as campfires are not part of your plans, you should be fine. At least as of now.

Devils head was shut down because a good samaritan shot down a car jacker that was shooting up the place. So you may want to include a 45 on your rack.

Wtf? Those wacky Sedalians. Is it open again, I was thinking of heading out there?

Derek Jacob · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I believe it was only supposed to close for two-ish days so it should be open.

John Byrnes wrote:

I guess it depends on what you consider "impact".  In the last month there's been 14 wildfires in CO, and a dozen more upwind in other states.  It's not been too bad lately but there is still a lot of haze in the air and my eyes are gluey every morning.    Of course, anything could happen before you get here.

And I'll echo some of the other posters: Boulder-area in August will likely be really hot.  Got your Dawn Patrol merit badge?

Well, I’ve climbed in Texas in July, so...yeah.  For that matter, I’ve also climbed in Eldo in late July, so I’m not too worried...plus if it gets to be too bad, it’s probably better at higher elevations...no?

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
Ted Pinson wrote: Hey everyone,

Ted, I and a partner are heading to Estes on Sep 15 - 23.  Plan on climbing in Lumpy, BoCan and Eldo, depending on weather and temps.

PM me if you want to hook up and Ill give you my cell number.  

PS, my partner can be a handful, but is solid on the climbing game.
John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392
Ted Pinson wrote:

Well, I’ve climbed in Texas in July, so...yeah.  For that matter, I’ve also climbed in Eldo in late July, so I’m not too worried...plus if it gets to be too bad, it’s probably better at higher elevations...no?

Texas in July?   Sounds like the definition of torment.   Higher is usually better, but I've lived here too long to predict the weather, or the fires.  ;-)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Fires impacting Front Range?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.