Mountain Project Logo

New and Experienced Climbers over 50

Lori Milas · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 240

I know trad climbing is going to be a part of my life one day... it occurred to me that maybe the place to learn would be "The Bong" at JTree in the fall.  I have some mixed feelings about this rock... Nelson sent me up it to get a feel for crack climbing.  It was so beautiful and effortless... I thought all crack climbing would go like that!  I felt double-crossed when I tried it on Double Cross!  All crack climbing is NOT like The Bong!    
But maybe it would be a good place to try things... begin to learn how to lead.  It's low to the ground, easy, non-threatening.  Could just play there, and get comfortable...

Dallas R · · Traveling the USA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 191
Lori Milas wrote:

I think we’ve all discovered that being active and alive and engaged at this time of life is really a mental game. 

The only thing we can truly control in life is our attitude.

One (of many) little tidbits of information that has stayed with me is that we lose 10% of our muscle mass every decade after our 20s... it is replaced with fat. 

This has recently come home to me in a big way.  I have started having trouble breathing hard when carrying the rope/trad pack up the steep hills around 7000 feet in 90 degree heat.  On one particular adventure I started getting light headed and nearly passed out. This has never happened to me before, what the heck?

So I have been visiting with my physician, he ran some tests, tested the old ticker, took a look at my lungs, listened to me whine about being weak, then gave me the really bad hard to take news, I have become deconditioned.  He said look, you are 62 years old, you are 30 pounds overweight, our BMI is 35, on some circles you are considered morbidly obese.

Sigh! Diet and increased exercise, goal is to lose 1/2 pound a week and to push my daily walks a little harder until I can run.

As far as posting new area's is concerned, it's a huge responsibility.  While we all want to contribute to the climbing community there some things to consider: Access, is it a sustainable access, public land that does not have any climbing or gear setting restrictions, do you have to go through private land to get there, etc.  Accuracy, I tried updating some information in an area a few years back and flubbed it by using the incorrect format of lat/long.  I got a PM from the guy that was admin of that area, he very patiently explained where I went wrong and took my post down. I was ok with that, I wasn't absolutely correct.

Take a look at the Admin list for the general area, you will find it about 5 lines down from the name of the area, contact them to find about criteria for the area.
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Well, on the other hand Dallas, you could also assume you're "degeneration" means you've been enjoying your current lifestyle?

Getting older combined with a physical thing you're passionate about, is a great motivator to get fit. It doesn't have to be onerous, much to my surprise! I'm having a great time, and discovering a body I never knew I had.

Lori, you are doing super well for climbing a short time. Yes, you can easily inflict damage on yourself in a gym, from overdoing it. Gym routes also encourage wonky stuff that doesn't happen outside. So, outside, you risk real injury or death, but generally not from overuse (bouldering, maybe??).

Building grades, there is a simple process. You are correct to have the discipline to work toward climbing with precision. Doing otherwise, teaches bad habits. Kids can "afford" that, we can't.

Try hard stuff now and then, but mainly concentrate on technique. It's so, so, often that feet get neglected or sloppy. All the training stuff I've ever seen says to build a pyramid: lots of totally dialed lower grades, as you progress. This, you will want for those trad leads coming up. You don't want to be figuring out gear while struggling to climb.

I have to say, I did go after perfecting some climbs, on auto belay, when my gym was open. It can be very satisfying to feel smooth and controlled, and yes, graceful. Set up your phone to record yourself climbing!

Oh, and your shoes will last longer, too, if you aim for precise feet!

Best, Helen

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526
Lori Milas wrote: I know we've talked about this before... but I'm not sure which page/where.  I'm wondering if you long-time climbers have found a plateau where your body cooperates and nothing breaks down.  I"m just not sure how muscle and tendon strength are supposed to go--or where you have hit a grade that is your absolute limit forever!

Back at the climbing gym, I feel stuck.  I don't know what it will take to break through to more difficult climbs.  I can now climb 10a and 10b with some grace.  10c is a maybe... usually flailing towards the top.  10d is an absolutely no.  3 of my fingers are permanently swollen, one knee feels achy some of the time.  I did notice last night that I was able to get through some laybacks, work my way across a roof...  up and over.  But nothing like the grace and precision of some of the climbers I watch. (I call one Spiderwoman). 
Well.  No matter who you are (with the obvious world-class exceptions), someone is likely to be a lot better.  You may or may not ever attain the grace and precision of Spiderwoman.  Watch her for tips on technique, by all means aspire to her skill, but don't beat yourself up over not being there.

Being "stuck:" I'd recommend not worrying about the grades so much.  First of all, gym grading (as well as outdoor grading) isn't all that consistent anyway; for all you know you've already done something that would be graded 10d in another place.  By all means challenge yourself, but also think about building up a base of competence and control at lower levels.  If you can't jump to some perceived next level, work on endurance at the level you're at, i.e. string gym routes back to back, climb up and down some of them, or make the route longer by climbing up to the first clip, then back down, then up to the second clip, then back down, then up to the third clip, etc. etc.  Or try to do all the routes at or below 5.X in the gym in a single session.  In other words, mix it up and don't just keep hammering on the next difficulty level.

Swelling and pain: its complicated.  You can carry on in spite of minor aches and pains, but you have to be able to recognize when you are cultivating an overuse injury that's going to put you out of commission for a long time.  Sadly, much of the time this is only clear in retrospect, when it is too late.  One thing that almost every older climber I know and virtually every expert on physical training agree on is the need for rest in order to consolidate gains and stave off injury, and this is especially true for aging athletes, who need more rest than young people in order not to end up in a cycle of static or declining performance and possible injury.  I'm going on 75 and typically need two days' rest between strenuous sessions, both aerobic and muscular.  And if something doesn't feel quite right I'll add another day or even two.  "Rest" doesn't have to mean couch time, it can be moderate to even vigorous activity that doesn't especially stress the muscles and systems used previously, like a hike or trail run the day after a gym session.

It does help to have other interests.  I really enjoy photography, so a rest day might involve heading out with a camera and dawdling around taking pictures. Very low level of physcial demands but still a high level of satisfaction---no sense that I'm "missing out" on anything.

I will say this... the new gal I'm climbing with, (who is no more than 30), has no real experience or finesse... but she just doggedly goes for the 11's.  Somehow, by hook or crook, she gets there.  I feel like I'd rather work on a 5.9 to learn control and skill, than to grasp and the higher grades in a complete frenzy. (But I'll admit I'm jealous. I see her soon sailing way past me.)  Ryan has promised me that in time, strength and body moves come. (but then, he's 27). So when things are swollen... to you give it a rest?  For how long?  Is it possible that this is my limit... and no more? (in terms of difficulty)
As I just said, rest is critical but how much is very tricky and really depends on a  good level of self-knowledge.  If swelling or pain is getting slowly worse, that is a clear indication to back off.  If it is staying the same, I'd opt for "watchful waiting," in which you carry on but are prepared to dial it back (this includes stopping in the middle of a gym session) if you don't like what's happening.  As for your partner, she might get better than you, might not, or might end up someone who just flails at higher and higher levels.  There are many paths to competence and the moments at which various people "get it"  can be very different.  I get the jealousy, but you're 20 years older than her and can't abuse your body the way she might be and expect to walk away unscathed.

I don't feel this way about climbing outside. I'm wondering what your experiences are.  Maybe the pace is slower... or the rock is kinder... I never have the feeling that I'm injuring myself outside.  And, if vertical climbing wears me out, I can switch it up to some slab.  Probably you yahoos who really climb hard outside do indeed strain things. 
I've injured myself outside more than inside, but you are right that outside provides opportunities to exercise something other than the first two joints of your fingers,  presents complex technique issues that the gym can't begin to imitate, and allows for a variety of activities that dissipate the more localized strains of gym climbing.  Moreover---and not to get too spiritual about it all---climbing outside is about more than the climb and the difficulty, it is also about connecting with nature in a deeply satisfying way.  I've had wonderful outside days on very easy rock, but I can't imagine enjoying anything remotely similar indoors.
Dallas R wrote: The only thing we can truly control in life is our attitude.

This has recently come home to me in a big way.  I have started having trouble breathing hard when carrying the rope/trad pack up the steep hills around 7000 feet in 90 degree heat.  On one particular adventure I started getting light headed and nearly passed out. This has never happened to me before, what the heck?

So I have been visiting with my physician, he ran some tests, tested the old ticker, took a look at my lungs, listened to me whine about being weak, then gave me the really bad hard to take news, I have become deconditioned.  He said look, you are 62 years old, you are 30 pounds overweight, our BMI is 35, on some circles you are considered morbidly obese.

Sigh! Diet and increased exercise, goal is to lose 1/2 pound a week and to push my daily walks a little harder until I can run.

As far as posting new area's is concerned, it's a huge responsibility.  While we all want to contribute to the climbing community there some things to consider: Access, is it a sustainable access, public land that does not have any climbing or gear setting restrictions, do you have to go through private land to get there, etc.  Accuracy, I tried updating some information in an area a few years back and flubbed it by using the incorrect format of lat/long.  I got a PM from the guy that was admin of that area, he very patiently explained where I went wrong and took my post down. I was ok with that, I wasn't absolutely correct.

Take a look at the Admin list for the general area, you will find it about 5 lines down from the name of the area, contact them to find about criteria for the area.

So glad you posted this, Dallas.  As to our physical selves... good health is no longer a freebie.  At some point, we now have to make a choice.  I'm just glad we CAN make that choice, to stay strong, regain whatever has been lost, and to go forward into the Third Act

As far as posting my newfound climbing site... I'm so glad you and Helen stated what you did.  This place backs up onto my son's property, I believe it is government land, and no one around there would care to make it known.  And I'd be the last person to make it known, since I have no idea what I'm doing, yet--I'd botch it up for good.  I'm going to leave this one alone.  Thanks for the advice.  

Old lady H wrote: Well, on the other hand Dallas, you could also assume you're "degeneration" means you've been enjoying your current lifestyle?

Getting older combined with a physical thing you're passionate about, is a great motivator to get fit. It doesn't have to be onerous, much to my surprise! I'm having a great time, and discovering a body I never knew I had.

Lori, you are doing super well for climbing a short time. Yes, you can easily inflict damage on yourself in a gym, from overdoing it. Gym routes also encourage wonky stuff that doesn't happen outside. So, outside, you risk real injury or death, but generally not from overuse (bouldering, maybe??).

Building grades, there is a simple process. You are correct to have the discipline to work toward climbing with precision. Doing otherwise, teaches bad habits. Kids can "afford" that, we can't.

Try hard stuff now and then, but mainly concentrate on technique. It's so, so, often that feet get neglected or sloppy. All the training stuff I've ever seen says to build a pyramid: lots of totally dialed lower grades, as you progress. This, you will want for those trad leads coming up. You don't want to be figuring out gear while struggling to climb.

I have to say, I did go after perfecting some climbs, on auto belay, when my gym was open. It can be very satisfying to feel smooth and controlled, and yes, graceful. Set up your phone to record yourself climbing!

Oh, and your shoes will last longer, too, if you aim for precise feet!

Best, Helen

Helen!  Thank you!  I was actually driving (parking) when your post showed up on my iPhone, and I let out a sigh of relief.   THE PYRAMID!  I had totally forgotten about the pyramid!  It's what I started with a year ago, and then forgot about it.  Even bought graph paper.  This makes all kinds of sense.  Back to the pyramid!  

Grandpa Dave · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
Lori Milas wrote: 
Here's a piece of good news.  Finally a real practical benefit from climbing...  

Here's my favorite story about the benefits of climbing:

https://www.summitpost.org/applying-climbing-skills-to-everyday-life-or-why-it-took-me-an-hour-to-get-the-paper-this-morning/683159
Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Old lady H..... sorry about your knees, getting old does indeed have challenges. I feel for you, having only Basalt to climb on must get old fast!

Lori... been reading your story, you know you’re starting kind of late in life for this sport, but it’s never to late. 

I’m 65.5... this is my 45th season! I climb as much as my body will allow. I can’t really boulder any more, in the young kid style of falling off over and over... that will destroy me !
I pick and choose the type of climbing I do, face climbing is the best, standing on feet- fingers for balance- you can do that all day long. Steep face climbing is OK too.  But crimping in the Gym... that will destroy your fingers! Limit that and your finger pain will probably go away.

I see you live in Rockland... that’s a plus. You can drive and climb at many great granite spots. The Valley, TM, Shuteye, Courtright, Fresno Dome and Sequoia Nat Park all real close.

Some advice: that friend of yours who will just “go for it” ... that works well Sport Climbing but will get you into deep dodo in the Mountains, beware!
 And the strongest warning about learning to lead at Josh. That is not a good place due to several factors. I know it might seem beginner friendly but that’s an illusion. The irregular cracks make for challenging placements, the rock is like #20 grit sandpaper and any fall, even a three footer, will leave you cut, scraped and bleeding. I know of several hard ball young climbers who quit the sport completely after ONE real fall. 

And.... that ladder, my god!! One foot! Dear god!!

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Guy Keesee wrote:OLH, I feel for you, having only Basalt to climb on must get old fast!
Laughed out loud Guy....... ;)

I’m 65.5... this is my 45th season! I climb as much as my body will allow. I can’t really boulder any more, in the young kid style of falling off over and over... that will destroy me !
I pick and choose the type of climbing I do, face climbing is the best, standing on feet- fingers for balance- you can do that all day long. Steep face climbing is OK too.  But crimping in the Gym... that will destroy your fingers! Limit that and your finger pain will probably go away.

This ^^^^^^^^^

rgold wrote: Well.  No matter who you are (with the obvious world-class exceptions), someone is likely to be a lot better.  You may or may not ever attain the grace and precision of Spiderwoman.  Watch her for tips on technique, by all means aspire to her skill, but don't beat yourself up over not being there.

Being "stuck:" I'd recommend not worrying about the grades so much.  First of all, gym grading (as well as outdoor grading) isn't all that consistent anyway; for all you know you've already done something that would be graded 10d in another place.  By all means challenge yourself, but also think about building up a base of competence and control at lower levels.  If you can't jump to some perceived next level, work on endurance at the level you're at, i.e. string gym routes back to back, climb up and down some of them, or make the route longer by climbing up to the first clip, then back down, then up to the second clip, then back down, then up to the third clip, etc. etc.  Or try to do all the routes at or below 5.X in the gym in a single session.  In other words, mix it up and don't just keep hammering on the next difficulty level.

Swelling and pain: its complicated.  You can carry on in spite of minor aches and pains, but you have to be able to recognize when you are cultivating an overuse injury that's going to put you out of commission for a long time.  Sadly, much of the time this is only clear in retrospect, when it is too late.  One thing that almost every older climber I know and virtually every expert on physical training agree on is the need for rest in order to consolidate gains and stave off injury, and this is especially true for aging athletes, who need more rest than young people in order not to end up in a cycle of static or declining performance and possible injury.  I'm going on 75 and typically need two days' rest between strenuous sessions, both aerobic and muscular.  And if something doesn't feel quite right I'll add another day or even two.  "Rest" doesn't have to mean couch time, it can be moderate to even vigorous activity that doesn't especially stress the muscles and systems used previously, like a hike or trail run the day after a gym session.

It does help to have other interests.  I really enjoy photography, so a rest day might involve heading out with a camera and dawdling around taking pictures. Very low level of physcial demands but still a high level of satisfaction---no sense that I'm "missing out" on anything.

As I just said, rest is critical but how much is very tricky and really depends on a  good level of self-knowledge.  If swelling or pain is getting slowly worse, that is a clear indication to back off.  If it is staying the same, I'd opt for "watchful waiting," in which you carry on but are prepared to dial it back (this includes stopping in the middle of a gym session) if you don't like what's happening.  As for your partner, she might get better than you, might not, or might end up someone who just flails at higher and higher levels.  There are many paths to competence and the moments at which various people "get it"  can be very different.  I get the jealousy, but you're 20 years older than her and can't abuse your body the way she might be and expect to walk away unscathed.

I've injured myself outside more than inside, but you are right that outside provides opportunities to exercise something other than the first two joints of your fingers,  presents complex technique issues that the gym can't begin to imitate, and allows for a variety of activities that dissipate the more localized strains of gym climbing.  Moreover---and not to get too spiritual about it all---climbing outside is about more than the climb and the difficulty, it is also about connecting with nature in a deeply satisfying way.  I've had wonderful outside days on very easy rock, but I can't imagine enjoying anything remotely similar indoors.

rgold, I've come to really depend on your wonderful posts.  Thank you so much for taking the time to talk with a relative newby.  I know you've been at this a long time.  It feels like climbing is now just a part of the fabric of your life, so nicely integrated.  
 I copied, and can still see, the picture you gave a link to... dating back many years. (?)  Beautiful silhouette of a climber in eye of a needle. Sorry I cannot remember the name or article at this moment but what an inspiration!  Please feel free to get 'too spiritual' any time you want.  The great outdoors is one of those places where that deeper space can be expressed without dogma.  Look at that picture of yours!  It hits on every level.  (And no... it doesn't happen in the gym).
 I swear I don't have ego in this... but it's hard not to.  Yet the real joy and wonder is just meeting up with a rock, making an inner vow to bring your very best to it, and then proceeding with "what can I give" to this attempt.  What an incredible adventure.   Thank you!  

Idaho Bob · · McCall, ID · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 757

I'm a senior climber who was on a plateau. I live 100+ miles from the nearest climbing gym.  Three things worked for me: 1) weight gym;  2) hangboard;  3) yoga.  In the weight gym I  concentrate on "pulling" muscles and core strength. I "train" for 1-2 months before each 3-4 week climbing period, then rest for a month.  My training cycle is W/H/W/H/W/H/R,  where W is weight gym, H is hangboard, and R is rest.  When I started the cycle was W/R/H/R  etc. I started this program at 71.
Found all the advice needed on the internet via Google.  All  of this got me up 3 grade levels on lead and 2 more if following or on top rope.
If you have pain and swelling my advice would be to stop workouts until pain and swelling subsides.  Be careful about starting too fast on pulling exercises, damaging rotator cuff can easily occur.  There is a good set of exercises on the American Orthopedic Association website for rotator cuff.  
I've found that ART therapy (Active Release) is very effective for chronic muscle/ligament/tendon issues.    ART therapists have national certification.
Best wishes for good climbing.

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674

I find the best routine is to climb outdoors as much as possible, gyms and weights may help, but I find them worthless. get on the rock,

not plastic, but if you have no rock close by then do what you gotta do to stay climbing fit! Meanwhile ill put a new route for ya!
Idaho Bob wrote: I'm a senior climber who was on a plateau. I live 100+ miles from the nearest climbing gym.  Three things worked for me: 1) weight gym;  2) hangboard;  3) yoga.  In the weight gym I  concentrate on "pulling" muscles and core strength. I "train" for 1-2 months before each 3-4 week climbing period, then rest for a month.  My training cycle is W/H/W/H/W/H/R,  where W is weight gym, H is hangboard, and R is rest.  When I started the cycle was W/R/H/R  etc. I started this program at 71.
Found all the advice needed on the internet via Google.  All  of this got me up 3 grade levels on lead and 2 more if following or on top rope.
If you have pain and swelling my advice would be to stop workouts until pain and swelling subsides.  Be careful about starting too fast on pulling exercises, damaging rotator cuff can easily occur.  There is a good set of exercises on the American Orthopedic Association website for rotator cuff.  
I've found that ART therapy (Active Release) is very effective for chronic muscle/ligament/tendon issues.    ART therapists have national certification.
Best wishes for good climbing.

Hey Idaho Bob... thanks for sharing.  The climbers I know all do yoga, and I have classes lined up, but always find an excuse.  I used to think if I had to do one more Downward Dog I would quit forever, but now it seems like a real good thing to get back to.  Watching this young climber (Stewart M. Green photo), the beauty of this movement, and the ease, has to come from yoga.  
All of the suggestions of everyone who has posted are wonderful.  I hope I'm not the only one to benefit!  I REALLY appreciate the advice about fingers and tendons... and Jeff, thanks for just reminding us all to get out and climb.  
Not tackling crimps does limit what can be done in a gym.  Maybe the gym is just not that important.  Please keep the suggestions and advice coming... I feel a whole lot better after sifting through all the information today, and I'm sure others, too.  

Carl Schneider · · Mount Torrens, South Australia · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0
Lori Milas wrote: I know we've talked about this before... but I'm not sure which page/where.  I'm wondering if you long-time climbers have found a plateau where your body cooperates and nothing breaks down.  I"m just not sure how muscle and tendon strength are supposed to go--or where you have hit a grade that is your absolute limit forever!

Back at the climbing gym, I feel stuck.  I don't know what it will take to break through to more difficult climbs.  I can now climb 10a and 10b with some grace.  10c is a maybe... usually flailing towards the top.  10d is an absolutely no.  3 of my fingers are permanently swollen, one knee feels achy some of the time.  I did notice last night that I was able to get through some laybacks, work my way across a roof...  up and over.  But nothing like the grace and precision of some of the climbers I watch. (I call one Spiderwoman).

I will say this... the new gal I'm climbing with, (who is no more than 30), has no real experience or finesse... but she just doggedly goes for the 11's.  Somehow, by hook or crook, she gets there.  I feel like I'd rather work on a 5.9 to learn control and skill, than to grasp and the higher grades in a complete frenzy. (But I'll admit I'm jealous. I see her soon sailing way past me.)  Ryan has promised me that in time, strength and body moves come. (but then, he's 27). So when things are swollen... to you give it a rest?  For how long?  Is it possible that this is my limit... and no more? (in terms of difficulty)

I don't feel this way about climbing outside. I'm wondering what your experiences are.  Maybe the pace is slower... or the rock is kinder... I never have the feeling that I'm injuring myself outside.  And, if vertical climbing wears me out, I can switch it up to some slab.  Probably you yahoos who really climb hard outside do indeed strain things.

Here's a piece of good news.  Finally a real practical benefit from climbing.  Every year in July I go out to my plum tree and pick plums for canning... it always feels perilous.  This year without even thinking I climbed to the top of the 10 foot ladder, balanced on one foot while reaching way into the tree for plums, felt totally solid and safe.  Picked them all and made plum jam. So there's that.      

So you climb a grade 19 or 20 (on our grading system).  I don't think that's too shabby at all myself! Don't even consider a 'limit' what's a limit?? I've only been following this thread for a bit so I'm unsure how old you are or how long you've been climbing for but regardless the grade you're seems one you should be proud of.  You know, when we get older, if you 'just' remain at the same level you're actually improving.  What I mean is, age and time etc are against us, wearing us down constantly.  To remain 'stagnant' at our age actually means we're working AGAINST time and NOT succumbing to it being steadfastly remaining strong.  This means we either ARE actually getting stronger in a way or gaining better skills.  It's not all about strength or stamina. However, we all want to improve.  I firmly believe we need to mix it up.  I firmly believe one must boulder as hard as one can.  You DO need to work power and also power endurance.  You also need to work endurance (by doing laps etc) as well as get better at reading routes, finding the rest spots, etc.  Also, make sure you climb with psyched people, and young psyched people if you can.  You'll feed of their energy. Last night I had a GREAT sesh at the bouldering club.  The peeps I was hanging out with had an average age of about 22 I reckon.  The oldest was 33.  I'm ALWAYS the oldest person in the gym but I always have fun. Last night I was doing laps of roof problems and working a hard (for me) climb.  Oh watch the fingers.  Maybe rest a week or so.  Avoid crimps for a while.

Carl Schneider · · Mount Torrens, South Australia · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0
Dallas R wrote: The only thing we can truly control in life is our attitude.

Goodness.  Gotta get on top of that weight dude.  Just think when you lose 30 pounds how LIGHT and strong you'll feel!  I know I'm obsessive but I weight myself every day, with scales that measure body fat too.  Recently I've put on about two kilos from where I want to be (it's winter here, I'm in hibernation mode   ).  So I just go without tea (dinner) for a couple of night. After missing tea for two nights I've now lost a kilo and a half quite easily.  I try to remain at around 62.5 - 62.9 kilos (137 - 138 lb) at 168 cm (5' 6" ish), which is a BMI of 22.  I can accept being about 63.5 kilos but no heavier.

Dallas R · · Traveling the USA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 191
Carl Schneider wrote:

Goodness.  Gotta get on top of that weight dude. 

I have always been a square block, this is the first time weight has been a hindrance to me.  So I have jumped on it.  I know it will take 6 weeks to complete the change in habits, but in reality the changes have been overdue.  Just gotta commit every day. Salad for dinner, now I am headed out for my walk now.  

Mark Orsag · · Omaha, NE · Joined May 2013 · Points: 916

As someone sentenced by geography to being a gym climber most of the year, I tend to try and vary routines and route types. Generally work strengths but also weaknesses. Difference between those strong and weak route types in the gym is two whole grades (10 to 12) So the majority of time is both a reward in terms of making climbing in the gym fun and avoiding injury or just feeling creaky by not climbing awkward overhanging routes or problems three times a week

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 674

Gotta keep moving: Fact!

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 146

lol.
No.
Next year 65 and will get Medicare.
Maybe I'll be able to get my back fixed and be able to climb again.
2 years of not being able to climb is driving me nuts!

So, what I think we have here is a virtual campfire.      I haven't been around other MP sites very much, but it appears the talk is mostly nuts and bolts informational.  I appreciate the camaraderie and sharing here... the friendships that have developed.  Everyone but Jeffrey, who's tag is 'gotta keep moving: Fact!'.  So he gets to swing by for a hot dog, and then he'd be off for some night climbing.   

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.