Mountain Project Logo

Climbing near Portland in late September?

Original Post
Jeff B · · San Diego · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

I'm headed up to Portland near the end of September for a friends wedding.  I''m thinking I may extend the trip a few days to go out and explore.  Is that still a decent time of year to try to get some climbing in? Not sure if it turns back to the PNW wet and rainy season by then.  

If it is, any suggestions on best crag to go to around Portland?  Anyone up for showing someone around sometime between 9/23-9/25?  I've been climbing mostly sport but starting trad leading.  

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

do not forget your organic vegetables, dark tight pants, and cultivation of fine handlebar moustache in order to fit in with, not threaten or alarm the locals.

Aleks Zebastian wrote: climbing friend,

do not forget your organic vegetables, dark tight pants, and cultivation of fine handlebar moustache in order to fit in with, not threaten or alarm the locals.

Yeah, I need to practice my climbing skills in skinny jeans. Luckily I have a few months. :)

Andrew Leaf · · Portland, OR · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

September is often quite nice in Portland. Probably sunny and nice 3/4 of the time, with temps in the low 70s. If it does rain, then you head to Smith Rock (3 hour drive) over the mountains where it is likely dry. The rainy season doesn't really hit until Mid October usually.

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

Hey "Jeff B" of "unknown hometown" ..you talking about Portland OR, or Portland ME?  Duh! Kinda a big difference. 

Oregon.  Thus in the PNW section :).  I did not realize it said my hometown was unknown.  will fix that.

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

Jeff...have a good time; if you find yourself in the Portland ME area, drop me a line...you'd only be 1 1/2 hrs drive from NH's Whitehorse & Cathedral, not to mention about 20 other crags and slabs. 

Drederek · · Olympia, WA · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 315

And remember the best climbing in Oregon is in Washington!

Chris Fedorczak · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Hey, Jeff. Drop me a line when you get into town. I’d be happy to show you around some of the local crags.

Tanner Dayley · · Bountiful, UT · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I'm not certain of when closures are on beacon rock, but there are some solid climbs there. I am from washougal Washington so I learned to climb at the Ozone up WA14. It's a fun local crag with great climbing (all single pitch). Very few crags, in my opinion, have views comparable. Love that place!

Thanks Chris, I will definitely get in contact closer to my trip.  

Daniel Bookless · · Portland, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 75

Ozone is great for moderate (5.8-5.11) sport and trad climbing (a bit blocky and ledgy but still really fun)
Broughtons Bluff is superb; but the good climbing starts 5.11+
in fact, there are 37 climbs between 5.11d and 5.13a (currently on MP) and many of them would be classics anywhere.
many people will tell you to avoid Broughtons (don't drink their hateraid).
the "moderate" trad lines are quite sandbagged at Broughtons but excellent none the less.
beacon is super fun for multiple pitch (one hour from PDX)
frenches dome is stacked with 5.8s and 5.12s sport routes and virtually nothing in between save one 5.10 (also an hour from Portland)
Trout Creek and Smith are in the desert and could be quite hot in September, but could also be perfect temps.

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

+1 for Ozone
You can check out Broughton Bluff and Rocky Butte areas if you want more of the Portland feel.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Climbing near Portland in late September? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started