Mountain Project Logo

Sedona climbing scene?

Original Post
Dave Mencel · · Menomonee Falls, WI · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 10

May be moving to Sedona - anyone have info on how the climbing scene is? Any info is appreciated - culture, strength of community, favorite crags, etc.

What's the best hangouts for climbers? I'll be down there in two weekends from now to check out the area - advice on places to visit is most welcome!

My wife is NOT a climber (WTF, right?) so I need to meet new peeps or I don't climb!

Nick0001 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

From my understanding Sedona has a lot of Trad climbing (tough grades too) with sport areas a little travel is required but you're up in Northern AZ so its all good.

Austin Kaiser · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 192

Glad to hear you're coming to our part of the world!

Sedona has lots of multipitch trad on sandstone, with a couple of single-pitch sport and bouldering spots.  Flagstaff is less than 1 hour north with lots of sport and trad options too.
You'll find plenty of partners! The one downside is that there is no gym in Sedona.

I recommend checking out The Planetarium, though it will be hot and perhaps wet (unclimbable) when you come in a couple of weeks.  Otherwise, there are more moderate sport climbs at The Doctor's Office and Lower Pumphouse Wash.  I'd be glad to take you out and show you around if you have time/gear to climb when you come out in a couple of weeks.  PM me if you'd like to meet up!

Dave Mencel · · Menomonee Falls, WI · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 10

Thank you guys for the info,

This is sounding good, I wish I could lead harder trad routes but just haven't been putting in the time, maybe that'll change quickly with some time in Sedona. But I'm glad there is fairly close sport climbing.

I'll check out the Planetarium while I'm down there, I won't be traveling with any gear (maybe shoes/harness just in case, but going carry-on only so no gear). But it'll be good to see what's around. Are you deep in monsoons now?

Danny · · Boulder · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 135

Hey Dave - i don't live in Sedona but visited last year for 1 week in November. In a word, the climbing was awesome.

granted i climb trad (not hard) and love moab / utah, so the idea of a small sized town with ample Mexican food and adventurous tower routes IN the city limits was a paradise.

if you do move there, start piecing together a trad rack, and you'll have tons of old school moderate routes so close you could do them mornings and evenings before / after work. i didn't check out the flagstaff zone but it does seem extensive.

i'll speculate that you can climb all winter long. i could imagine the summers being rough and you'll seek altitude then (mt lemmon?)

my perspective is altered by the fact that i was on vacation while there, but i loved the routes we did. towers are rad. enjoy dude.

Dave Mencel wrot
I'll check out the Planetarium while I'm down there, I won't be traveling with any gear (maybe shoes/harness just in case, but going carry-on only so no gear). But it'll be good to see what's around. Are you deep in monsoons now?

Yep, monsoons are in full swing.  Clouds, lightning, rain in the extended forecast for at least a week.  It won't be possible to climb on the sandstone :/

Nonetheless, if you are looking for climbing partners when you move out here feel free to reach out! I'm not a hard trad leader either, but I'd love to show you around the sport crags in NorAZ or get some trad experience with you.  
David R · · Mesa, AZ · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 15
Austin Kaiser wrote:

Yep, monsoons are in full swing.  Clouds, lightning, rain in the extended forecast for at least a week.  It won't be possible to climb on the sandstone :/

Nonetheless, if you are looking for climbing partners when you move out here feel free to reach out! I'm not a hard trad leader either, but I'd love to show you around the sport crags in NorAZ or get some trad experience with you.  
Hi Austin or anyone else who may be free,  

I'm planning on traveling through Sedona/Flagstaff area next week Aug 8 - 10ish (definitely flexible) and would love to link up if you're free to climb. Think we'll pretty similar climbers! Happy to provide ample amounts of stoke and positive vibes!

-David 
David Rozul wrote: Hi Austin or anyone else who may be free,  

I'm planning on traveling through Sedona/Flagstaff area next week Aug 8 - 10ish (definitely flexible) and would love to link up if you're free to climb. Think we'll pretty similar climbers! Happy to provide ample amounts of stoke and positive vibes!

-David 

I'll message you!

Lucia W · · Leeds · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Hi all!
I am Lucia, from Span. I need to go to AZ for a work conference and... well haha it just looks totally amazing. So I took some days off, from the 18th to the 27th October, and I would really really love to go climbing to Sedona if someone was up for it? Or somewhere else nice in the area instead.

I've sport climbed in limestone walls for a while but I'm not very strong (quite bad at training in a gym and don't live close to any crags at the moment haha), I tend to feel comfortable leading 6a ( 5.10a?) and try up to 6c (5.11a ?), the more overhanging the less chances of success hahaha. Very keen on multi-pitch routes and generally happy to second trad climbing. And quite chilled and easy going I guess haha

If someone wanted to come climbing with me or has any idea of where to find climbing partners that would be amazing!

Thanks in advance!

MisterE Wolfe · · Grass Valley, CA · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 8,092

You can pick up our guidebook online at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Sedona-Rocks-Climbers-Guide-David/dp/1453727884

or at Backcountry Outfitters in Sedona.

The Plantetarium & The Beach are your best bets for in-town, easy access sport climbing on solid rock. Pumphouse Wash also has a number of decent sport routes.

The Waterfall area has world-class mixed and trad routes on beautiful basalt - may feel a little sand-baggy.

The Doctor's Office has some stellar clip-ups, as well. The rock is a little soft in places, however.

Flagstaff is only 20-30 minutes up the hill, and Le Petit Verdon (The Pit) has great sprot climbing on shorter limestone walls.

Cheers, Erik

Lucia W · · Leeds · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Thanks for all the info Erik! I'm afraid though that without a climbing partner I won't be able to climb much though :/
I'll wait a bit to see if someone feels like going outdoors with me

Grant Crawford · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Hey I know this is an older post but I figure it is worth a shot.  I will be heading to Sedona for a few months starting Jan 5th and maybe considering living there permanently if things work out.  I am looking to find some people to climb with. I lead sport in the low 10s But unfortunately no trad leading yet. Im eager to learn though.   I’d love to find someone to climb with semi frequently and am willing to put in the time and effort to continue my progression.  Just don’t know anyone in the area to climb with. I plan on hitting the gyms in flag to see if there is anything posted about finding partners as well.  Thanks so much

Grant 

Natalie Bennett · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 5

Old thread but worth a shot reviving! Heading to Sedona in two weeks for a week of remote work/climbing- if anyone local to the scene has any good tips on free wifi/good co-working spots would be much appreciated if you can share! Will be working from the van mostly. Also if anyone wants to meet up to climb with my partner and myself the week of April 12th, send me a DM :)  Lead sport in the 11's/12's and trad in the low 10's.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Sedona climbing scene?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.