Mountain Project Logo

Climbers in the Cumberland Gap Area

Original Post
climbing2man Dispensa · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 80

Hello,

I have recently moved to the Harrogate, TN / Middlesboro, KY area located in the Cumberland Gap National Park.

There is tons of climbing here I would love to jump on but I don't know any climbers around here.

If anyone knows of any local clubs, or any climbers that live in this area please let me know.

All I want is a friend who climbs! :(

Nathan Witt · · Roanoke, Va · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 3,081

You are 1 hour from Breaks Interstate Park and 2 hours from both Obed and Red River Gorge...not a bad central location for climbing at all. I live near Abingdon close to Hidden Valley and the Grayson Highlands. I would be happy to show you those areas sometime.

climbing2man Dispensa · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 80
Nathan Witt wrote: You are 1 hour from Breaks Interstate Park and 2 hours from both Obed and Red River Gorge...not a bad central location for climbing at all. I live near Abingdon close to Hidden Valley and the Grayson Highlands. I would be happy to show you those areas sometime.

Nathan,

I'd been down to meet up sometime in the future. 
Trying to get a job first then, we can meet up. I want to try and climb majority of everything in the area. I love multi-pitch so I like to try those
Nathan Witt · · Roanoke, Va · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 3,081

Be careful about climbing in the Cumberland Gap area, especially if climbing isn't officially sanctioned there. It might hurt our chances of developing new areas in the future if we are seen as outlaw trespassers. I agree that stuff down there looks amazing though.

Paul Coakley · · KY · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 25

Also look into a new area called Foxtown.

Ray Womack · · Jackson, WY · Joined Apr 2020 · Points: 0

Push back against the Cumberland Gap ban. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Climbers in the Cumberland Gap Area"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started