Mountain Project Logo

Recommendation for a good lightweight scrambling pack?

Original Post
P. W. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 150

I am looking to buy a lightweight scrambling pack for various low-gear adventures. I envision having the second wear it on long multi-pitch routes or wear it scrambling.

I know several people with the REI Flash but it seems a little low on features.

The UD SkiMo Race vest could work thought it is more ski-specific.

The Mountain Hardwear SummitRocket could work too

Does anyone have experience with any of these packs or recommendations for others that are similar?

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

What features are you looking for?  To me, the REI Flash is perfect for your stated purpose.  It has a bladder pocket (I've even fit a full 3L in there) and can hold everything you would need for "low-gear adventures."  Plus, it's super light and cheap.  About the only thing I wish it could easily do is remove the waist strap, but that's not a dealbreaker for me.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Page Weil wrote: I am looking to buy a lightweight scrambling pack for various low-gear adventures. I envision having the second wear it on long multi-pitch routes or wear it scrambling.

I know several people with the REI Flash but it seems a little low on features.

The UD SkiMo Race vest could work thought it is more ski-specific.

The Mountain Hardwear SummitRocket could work too

Does anyone have experience with any of these packs or recommendations for others that are similar?

You will get a dozen, or more, recommendations. In the end, you are going to have to decide. You may have to choose your own pack. :)

Deadfish · · Bay Area, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 10

Look at the Mountain Tools Stealth.  It's by far my favorite pack to wear while climbing or snowboarding.  Besides being indestructible, there is a removable divider down the center of the pack that keeps it slim and streamlined while you're wearing it.

Jay Eggleston · · Denver · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 21,381

Cilo gear 20L.

Z Pena · · San Diego, CA · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 360

I picked up a Black Diamond Speed 22 recently and it has been pretty useful on multiple occasions. Use it for cragging when I need draws, light rack, and food/water. Top pouch and external slips/straps removable for a decent on route pack. Plan to do Mt Whitney and Russell at the end of the month with it. Has alot of options for carrying gear on the outside (poles, ice tools, etc..). As for durability, only used about 2 months but haven't noticed any signs of wear and tear just yet but I am pretty rough on packs. 

Jeffrey K · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

I have a Deuter Speed Lite 20. Been using it for years and it's a champ. 

Luke Lydiard · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 1,069

I highly recommend the Patagonia Linked 18L. The rope strap on top is a great feature. I added ability to carry a helmet and an ice tool or two by running bungie cord thru the small loops on either side of the bag.

The REI Flash 18 is roughly the same size as the Linked 18L but not nearly as burley. I had two Flash 18s which had shoulder straps fail at the upper attachment point. 

Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

+ 1 for Linked 18.  It is my favorite multipitch pack. 

jaredj · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 165

What features do you want?  External mesh pockets?  Rope carry?  Ice axe / crampon carry?  More robust shoulder straps than the Flash 18?  Do you like / tolerate zipper opening vs a drawstring?  Personally, I want a totally different feature set for Cascade scrambling than I do for a 2nds pack.  

I like those vests for running but almost nothing else; they make sense on paper but I find them a little fiddly for scrambling stuff.  I'm not very fit so I mostly run on the downhills (not the uphills), and find I can do those comfortably enough in any old daypack provided it's cinched down tight enough.

My "perfect" 2nds pack is the  Patagonia Ascensionist 25 because you can rig it just right to carry a bunch of stuff and it has robust shoulder straps.  

My "perfect" summer scrambling pack for the Cascades is the REI Flash 22.  For what I carry, it can do the job for helmet, ice axe, and crampons in addition to your other day stuff.  I like the side stretchy pockets to hold snacks and my water filter.  

Dunder Thunder · · Ventura ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 53

I would recommend TUFA in support of a small business. Josh was easy to work with when I asked for some small changes. The turn around  for pretty much having a custom pack made was super fast. Very comfortable and extremely durable. Zero complaints 

Mark NH · · 03053 · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

...I really like my BD Blitz 20. 

ADAM GRANT · · CHUBBUCK · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 422

Does anyone have experience with the BD Creek 20 pack? I have the creek 50 and love it!  I'm thinking about getting the creek 20 for on rout but haven't had the opportunity to handle one in person.  Thanks in advance!  Sorry to hijack the OP.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
Briggs Lazalde wrote: I own/have owned 20+ packs in the last 5 years and you should look at the MH multipitch 16 or 25.. Durable,sturdy, low profile, gear loops, haul ready.  Perfect for scrambles or multipitch

Question:  Did you ever own the BD pack that looks the same, the Blitz 20? I was thinking of getting that, but I'll check out the MH one as well.

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Third for Josh at TUFA.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16
Briggs Lazalde wrote:

Blitz 20 is a different pack altogether. I have a cirque and speed and they are more geared toward alpine so they could suite your needs if you'll be carrying axe/tools and crampons but doesn't have the same durable availability. You wouldn't want th blitz to abbraid against rock much. Speed over blitz though. Blitz is more alpine race focused and not as good or support as the speed.

For clarification, I mostly do grade II or III rock, but also single pitch ice, not very much alpine anymore.  You are recommending the Speed and Cirque? The ice pitches are a 10 minute walk in.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Recommendation for a good lightweight scrambli…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started